Silly exercise

Options
Hi MFP!

I just want to see if this is just me.....but I laugh a lot and get really annoyed at the same time when people add stupid 'exercise' to their day, to get more calories. Like 'food preparation'...this is just part of daily life surely? It especially annoys me when they hen moan they are not losing weight.

I feel like people are a bit disillusioned! Just because it’s in the database doesn't mean it’s viable exercise! A bit of common sense is needed I feel.

Debate?!

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I find people who are so busy minding everyone elses business and not their own to be even more annoying. If it makes the person feel better then who cares?
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    whatever do you mean, brushing my teeth is perfectly valid exercise lol :laugh:
  • BeccaJane_x_
    BeccaJane_x_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

I think some of the calorie estimations for certain exercises are a bit far fetched. For example walking, the calories for this seem to be massively over exaggerated?!

Does anybody on here know if they are actually accurate? I know it depends on weight etc.

Thanks!
  • KailaJordan
    Options
    it really bugs me when i see people at the gym sat on a machine on their phone, or not carrying out exercises properly. not only are they hogging their machines, but why bother paying £30 to go to a gym and sit on your *kitten*/not try hard?! grrrr.
  • BeccaJane_x_
    Options
    Victoria, I find people who post a reply in a forum just to be a b*tch very annoying too. :)
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Victoria couldnt of put it better myself
  • 13pointUNO
    13pointUNO Posts: 51
    Options
    If it doesn't affect your day, who gives a ****???
  • kayx199189
    Options
    MFP is a place to support each other, not slag someones workout out no matter what it is, tbh your post is the *****y one
  • cwalsh1989
    cwalsh1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Victoria, if they then moan about not loosing weight they need to realise that this sort of thing is not helping. I am quite open to people making me see differently on this, but not in such a 'catty' way.

Kaila, totally agree! I think people think if they are just in the gym they are loosing calories. Even when not doing anything. Lol bless 'em!
  • BeccaJane_x_
    Options
    kay, 'food preparation' is not a 'workout'.... which is the whole point of this thread. Charlotte wasn't slagging anyone off, just trying to make the point that some of the exercise calories on here are a bit exaggerated & it is a tad annoying when people add these supposed exercises on here and then moan when they don't lose weight... perfectly valid imo!
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Most stupid post ever....to people who are already active then yes cooking might not appear to be exercise but to somebody who leads a completely sedentary lifestyle - ordering takeaways instead of cooking for example then it's not part of normal everyday life for them so the hour or two they spend cooking is burning more calories than they would usually.

Hate how so many people post b*tching about what people do. This is a community for support not to slag each other off.
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options
    Most stupid post ever....to people who are already active then yes cooking might not appear to be exercise but to somebody who leads a completely sedentary lifestyle - ordering takeaways instead of cooking for example then it's not part of normal everyday life for them so the hour or two they spend cooking is burning more calories than they would usually.

Hate how so many people post b*tching about what people do. This is a community for support not to slag each other off.

Well said b1505, i totally agree!
  • cwalsh1989
    Options
    Oh jees.

Support yes, but people also need help in realising things are not going to help, that is support, otherwise how are they going to get anywhere?

Ill be deleting this thread, people get way too offended
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Each to their own really as to what counts as exercise in their own life...maybe they're so unfit that preparing food really is a workout? I hope that is not the case.

Personally, I like to remind myself of this saying whenever I am at the gym:
    "If you still look cute at the end of your workout, you didn't train hard enough!" always makes me push for that last KM on the treadmill!

http://pinterest.com/pin/129689664239036602/ - as seen on pinterest etc.
  • sim207
    sim207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

I think some of the calorie estimations for certain exercises are a bit far fetched. For example walking, the calories for this seem to be massively over exaggerated?!

Does anybody on here know if they are actually accurate? I know it depends on weight etc.

Thanks!

I walked for 53 minutes this morning at just under 3mph (20:29 minutes per mile).
    Fitbit gave me 424 calories
    iphone app would give me 439 calories
    MFP would give me 398 calories

All seem pretty close (all 3 know my weight etc) - whether they are accurate is a different matter (I was not wearing my HRM at the time).
  • kayx199189
    Options
    I personally dont do it but somedays I spend 20mins cooking and others I spend 2 hours so I can understand why some ppl might do it, its just not nice for the ppl who do it to read this and its just belittling them in a place where they need support
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lets not get catty...

Calories in vs. calories out. Simples
    I still got fat playing university hockey, dancing, cleaning my house, mowing the lawn, gardening, walking 2miles every day.............................

None of it mattered until I started eating the right amount to fuel my body properly so yes, I log cleaning, yes I log walking, yes occasionally I even log food preparation because just like any other activity, it burns calories!! (And sometimes, I log it because I need the motivation that day)

I wouldn't trust the calorie burn estimates on MFP though - I wear a hrm and trust me I burn a heck of a lot gardening (300+ per hour) but hardly anything when walking.
  • cwalsh1989
    Options
    Anyone know how to delete a thread?????
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Do these same people put down "had a shower", "went for a dump"? I mean come on. Exercise is exercise, daily activities are not.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Oh jees.

Support yes, but people also need help in realising things are not going to help, that is support, otherwise how are they going to get anywhere?

Ill be deleting this thread, people get way too offended

So far..I agree with you. But, there is no helping some people.