can't get into counting calories

Options
Just as the title says "I can't get into counting calories". By Lunch time I shutdown about thinking and don't wanna think numbers.
Is there a trick because having a person write them down for you. Not counting is certainly effecting the weightloss. I just can't get into it.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nobody can do this for you. If you want it, you will work for it. If not, you'll make excuses.
  • emhargs
    emhargs Posts: 63
    Options
    oh wow, i can't stop!

i hate cardio - so the thought of having to do it to lose weight soon sees me adding up every calorie, so i can lose weight simply by watching what i am eating. for me its a no brainer, its count calories, or get the *kitten* on the treadmill!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Nobody can do this for you. If you want it, you will work for it. If not, you'll make excuses.

Word.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It's just very easy for me. 2-3 times a day I log into MFP, remember what I ate and log it. I eat things that are usually very easy to log. If you remember what it was you ate and how much of it there was, I don't think it's too hard to search for it in the database. It does most of the work for you!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    can you can't calories the night before?? in the beginning, i would pre-log all my food the night before. it requires a little discipline and forward thinking, but it worked. i would pack my breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and i'd have a general idea of what i'd do for dinner.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options

This. You need to learn to log them, no matter what happens - this means you've got to learn to remind yourself, if necessary, that tomorrow is another day and it doesn't matter that you get to 3pm and you've got 40 calories left for the day. Nothing is going to change unless you make it.
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Think of the calorie counting as your bank account, you need to keep track of the balance in your account so you dont "over draft". You write a check you subtract it, in this case you eat you subtract from the balance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    then you've come to the wrong place!!!

to be honest, MFP isnt for everyone.... good luck at finding what works for you!
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    I get that way sometimes too.
    In fact...I just took a few days off from logging my food...and it does effect the weight loss.
    One thing that may help....
    If you have an i-phone...there is a MFP app you can get that lets you scan in barcodes of the foods you eat. It calculates the calories/carbs/fat/ etc for you. (It's kinda fun..IMO)

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i uploaded this last night to remind me of what I need to keep doing

19536421_7270.jpg
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    make yourself do it! It will keep you on track! We grossly UNDER estimate how many calories we really do eat!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

/thread
  • BreahLindley
    Options
    Ive been counting calories forever! Im so glad I found this site bc it just helps me see how exercise and calories go hand and hand with each other!!! Good luck finding what helps you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You dont need to count calories!
    Count grams!
    Protein and Fat!
    then carb up till you feel happy!

Mark talks about it here
    >http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/18/want-to-make-your-if-leangains-diet-simpler-dont-count-calories/
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I plan my day & log what I am going to eat for my main meals in the morning. Then I just have to add in everything that sneaks in as snacks.....
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    One way of not having to count calories is to pay to have all your food delivered to you by one of those Slimming clubs. They count the calories and you just eat the food. I

suppose it could work as long as you don't eat anything extra. But what happens when you go back to preparing your own food, you still won't be aware of the calories so you will probably over eat again.

Nope, only way is to be accountable for your own calories. It really gets easier the more you do it.

Good luck
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are diets out there in which you don't count calories. South Beach springs to mind. But instead of counting calories, you'll have to give your attention to carb cutting...and I personally think calorie counting is easier.
  • e46dude
    e46dude Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While I personally feel calorie counting is by far the best weight loss method, if you really can't get the hang of it try keto.  Many people who do a ketosis diet don't track their calories because it is difficult to overeat on the kinds of food you'll be having doing a proper keto diet. Otherwise, just cut back on your portions and try to eat healthy, if you aren't losing weight after a couple weeks shrink your portions further. Good luck. 
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you pay attention to the numbers on the scale, then you have to pay attention to the numbers on your food. :noway:
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You don't have to count, just type it in! If you're not willing to do that little bit of work, don't expect great results.

“How soon 'not now' becomes 'never'.”
    Martin Luther