PCOS and weightloss

Options
13»

Replies

• stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    Is anyone following the Insulin Resistance Diet? I decided to do that, as I had done it several years ago and lost about 25 lbs. Other diets, I seem to yo-yo but this one I didn't. The basics of it are to balance your carbs with protein (14g of protein to no more than 30g of carbs every 2 hours, not that you'd eat that EVERY 2 hours but you get the gist).
  • annieviolent
    Options
    Nope - it was the Mirena IUD that gave me cysts on my ovaries. It was documented and confirmed with ultrasounds by my doctor. Thanks.
  • annieviolent
    Options
    And no one in my family has it.
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    I have pcos and found out I had it about 2 months ago. I began my weight loss journey about 5 1/2 months ago and I have lost about 5-6 pounds a month since then and still losing. I LOST 31 POUNDS SO FAR WITHOUT MEDICATION!!!! I am not taking meds for it because the doctor didnt recommend it because I have a mild case. So just exercising and eating healthy has worked for me to lose the weight. Good Luck :-)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Nope - it was the Mirena IUD that gave me cysts on my ovaries. It was documented and confirmed with ultrasounds by my doctor. Thanks.

Mirena may have given you cysts, but it is not the cause of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. In fact someone women with PCOS use Mirena to help their symptoms. By the way, having cysts do not mean you have PCOS. Many women with PCOS don't have cysts at all. But irregular cycle, hirsuiism, weight gain, insulin resistance, etc. As for it being hereditary, many women go their entire lifetime without being diagnosed. If you have anyone in your family with irregular menstrual cycles that is most likely an indicator that they too had PCOS just undiagnosed. My mother was never diagnosed, but showed symptoms. If you have in fact been diagnosed with PCOS, I would suggest you educate yourself on the symptoms and the treatment options or have your diagnosis confirmed.
  • coastiebride1120
    coastiebride1120 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh wow has this thread gotten away from me over the last 24 hours or so I will try and remember everyone's questions and answer them.

My insulin levels were not high enough (90) after blood work alhough that was done 2 years ago, time to have it redone I am sure. But I was still giving the diagnosis of pcos due to everything else.

I did not know that you can manually set your carb % however, I am always within the 45% range since I have started tracking what I eat 5 weeks ago I was higher at 50% those first two weeks but I have been eliminating carbs where I can since then.

I am almost always under my allotted calorie consumption besides twice since starting this program. I am always over on my sugar by 2x the recommend amount, most of my sugar does come from fruits, mostly odwalla green juice smoothie, so I am unsure if naturally occurring sugar is counted differently.

I am bfing and was down to 160 from 215 (mostly water) by my 6 week check up. I later regained 10 pounds shortly after that and have since lost those 10 pounds sometime in late march and have been unable to drop any weight since. Ok well my scale told me 150 a week ago then this week it's up to 158 so I am unsure where I am. Either my scale is broken or my body... Probably my body :)

Anyone who has info on low gi I would love to read it and findout where I can make tweaks in what I consume.

I have become frustrated watching peoples food diarys filled with processed crap and they are still losing weight and I cook almost all my meals from home and make as much as I can from scratch. Someone told me how they ate a large takeout pizza everyday and still lost weight!!!! I wouldn't dare look at a piece of pizza.

Sorry for the typos working from my phone tonight
  • stormyWI
    Options
    Mirena may have given you cysts, but it is not the cause of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. In fact someone women with PCOS use Mirena to help their symptoms. By the way, having cysts do not mean you have PCOS. Many women with PCOS don't have cysts at all. But irregular cycle, hirsuiism, weight gain, insulin resistance, etc. As for it being hereditary, many women go their entire lifetime without being diagnosed. If you have anyone in your family with irregular menstrual cycles that is most likely an indicator that they too had PCOS just undiagnosed. My mother was never diagnosed, but showed symptoms. If you have in fact been diagnosed with PCOS, I would suggest you educate yourself on the symptoms and the treatment options or have your diagnosis confirmed.

Agree with above. If you doc has told you the Mirena IUD caused your PCOS, your doc is misinformed. Sadly some docs really don't know much about it and if this is the case, definitely seek a 2nd opinion. In fact, my second opinion doesn't even use ultrasound to diagnose PCOS, for the reason the previous poster mentioned.
  • stormyWI
    Options
    Anyone who has info on low gi I would love to read it and findout where I can make tweaks in what I consume.

I don't have info on the low GI diet ... but I have done The Insulin Resistance Diet (you can google it, $10 on amazon and kindle or roughly $5 for the used book and it works whether you have IR or not). Within 3-4 months I lost 25 lbs and didn't yo-yo like I do with all other diets, so I'm giving it a shot again. This plan balances your carbs with your proteins so I'm sure it's probably pretty similar.
  • annieviolent
    Options
    Happy to report that the following symptoms have disappeared since I had the Mirena IUD removed:

ovary cysts/pain
    hair loss
    acne
    inability to lose weight
    hirsutism

Though I'm told by others that Mirena could not have caused PCOS, my doctor thought it did and the PCOS like symptoms have disappeared since having Mirena removed. Just posting in case it helps anyone else.