Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Options
I am on day 3 and this morning I have been so short tempered. My poor 3 year old has been shouted at so many times this morning and I never shout! Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I have been eating all my calories (plus an extra 500 for breastfeeding). Am I eating the wrong food or is this my body getting used to it all?

Replies

• Assassins_Angel
    Options
    how have your sleeping patterns been like?? could be your tired, i know i get snappy when im tired or am close to my TOM
  • ktkear
    ktkear Posts: 8
    Options
    My sleep patterns are awful at the moment as I have a baby who is having one or sometimes 2 nightfeeds. I do try to go to bed early enough so I have a total of at least 7 hours. I have coped well with being constantly tired for 6 months so far, but maybe my body is struggling a bit now with my new diet? Do you think it will get better once it gets used to it?
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    You may also have cut something from your diet that is adding to the irritability until you complete the withdrawal. Caffeine, sugar, something like that...
  • ktkear
    Options
    Yes I have definately cut out alot of sugar- I used to snack on biscuits between meals but have cut this out. I was feeling really lightheaded yesterday between lunch and dinner. I'm thinking maybe I should include some more healthy snacks between meals but then I've got less calories for dinner. I was just wondering if this is something everyone has when they first start?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    If you recently cut out a lot of sugar, and are finding yourself lightheaded between meals, then you are probably having low blood sugar at those times...

How many calories are you eating? I know you said you meet your goal but if your goal is 1200 it's probably still way too low...
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes I have definately cut out alot of sugar- I used to snack on biscuits between meals but have cut this out. I was feeling really lightheaded yesterday between lunch and dinner. I'm thinking maybe I should include some more healthy snacks between meals but then I've got less calories for dinner. I was just wondering if this is something everyone has when they first start?

If you are feeling lightheaded in between meals you should eat something. Yes that does mean less for dinner but you should be looking for balance, not eating as much as you can at dinner. You could also have hypoglycemia potentially and if so you would need to eat more frequently. I am just bringing that up though based on the lightheartedness you described
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    edit: never mind!

I see now that adding the 500 to the 1460, your total goal is actually 1960, that IS good adequate intake....

I've seen other people add the brestfeeding as exercise instead of negative calories, that way it shows the full number in the total...
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I firtst started I became very cranky because I was hungry! But after a few days when my stomach shrank and I wasn't starving the mood swings went away. Stick with it, things will get better!
  • ktkear
    Options
    edit: never mind!

I see now that adding the 500 to the 1460, your total goal is actually 1960, that IS good adequate intake....

I've seen other people add the brestfeeding as exercise instead of negative calories, that way it shows the full number in the total...

Thanks for that I didn't realise I could add breastfeeding under the exercise bit- that would be much easier to have it in the full total. 1960 is loads so I feel bad that I'm struggling on that when there are loads of you only on around 1200 per day!
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I was a mess for a few months when I had a nursing, poorly sleeping baby plus a toddler. I can't recommend exercise enough--time away from the kids plus major physical exertion helps SO much with the stress. Plus, it'll give you a couple hundred more calories to snack away.

I totally sympathize! And I have to say, it is SO much better now that they are 3 and 5 and sleeping soundly through the night.

Good luck.
  • steelerstone
    Options
    Its normally to be grumpy. Your body is going through a shock.