Has anyone done a Color Run?

Options

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I did the one in Atlanta. It was loads of fun but do NOT think you are going to run it. I ran to the first color station and after that, it was absolutely impossible to run because of the crowds of people. There wasn't even a clock at the race. But the experience was great. Sign up with friends and plan to have a chat session for the time being.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I guess he did not like the masses of people and said people were inconsiderate when throwing the "paint". He also complained about how hard it was to clean up. He is very picky about this stuff though.

The volunteers arent very considerate. They got my boyfriend right in the eye. I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose, but common sense I think would tell you not to throw dust in someones face area.

Clean up, you cant really complain, you know what you are getting in to. Two through showers should do it, although I found blue in my ears a week later.

If you arent a fan of crowds, its not as fun either. There is a picture on the color me rad facebook site of the line...during the run. Its worse than being at Disney, its at least a half mile long!! Its a neat expirience though, definitely, i didnt enjoy all of it, but had a good time in general. Its one of those different things that you can say you did.
    403403_10101042511815442_108488338_a.jpg
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i LOVED it....you should totally give it a shot!!!!!
  • cateomalley
    Options
    I'm doing the NYC one in August, and the Richmond one in September. Can't wait. Tried to get in for the Philly and DC ones but they sold out too fast.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    BE WARNED...I did one yesterday and (3 showers later) still have huge green and purple spots on my torso, and one blue armpit still. They say the paint doesn't stain your skin, but it also says not to get it wet or it might stain. Well...sweat = wet, and if you're doing it outdoors in the summer heat....guess what??

Anyway, I didn't let them throw it on my face or hair (I'm blonde), so its all well hidden at work, but there were people literally rolling around in it, then running through sprinklers along the route. I can't imagine what they look like today!!

EDIT: If you only want to do a 5K to improve a previous running time and aren't intersted in getting a laugh or two along the way, this will not be the run for you. Mine was very informal (guys with stopwatches shouting out finish times that were basically based on you crossing the start line right on the starting bell). Additionally, there were big holdups at the paint stations along the way. I did this with a group of girls from high school so we were there mostly just for fun, and it was a good time. Just don't expect it to be a competitive event. The volunteers at ours were pretty considerate, so reading the other posts, I guess I was lucky I didn't get it right in the face or hair....
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Boy, I'm supposed to do one in July and you guys are really making me rethink it! I want to be able to run it. Why call it a run if you can't actually RUN?
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a college student at Temple. She and a group of friends are signed up for one in Philly in July. They're looking forward to it.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are signed up for the Richmond run in September. I can't wait.
  • Boolie88
    Boolie88 Posts: 13
    Options
    I did the So Cal one with a group of friends from school and it was so much fun!! We walked it but a lot of people ran it (although they don't keep time for you). The one I did seems to have been organized differently. They had people go in different waves, and had two different times (morning and afternoon), so it wasn't crowded at the color areas at all! Parking and traffic was a nightmare, but once we got there it was so much fun! Even though our program is done now we are all going to do it again next year!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    <<
    I will be doing my first Color Run August 5th in Grand Rapids, Michigan....super excited about it!!! Will definately be a great time!!! :)
  • rachelt1217
    Options
    I am registered for the NYC Color Run on Aug 25th - getting married the following weekend.... do i have to worry about my hair getting dyed or anything else - skin etc changing colors?
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am registered for the NYC Color Run on Aug 25th - getting married the following weekend.... do i have to worry about my hair getting dyed or anything else - skin etc changing colors?

My group had to do a little bit of scrubbing but it all came off :-) don't forget to clean your ears though, you'd be surprised what get in there LOL!
  • okeedokee5
    okeedokee5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did the Boston one on July 28th... it was my first 5K race. The running experience was enjoyable, and it was AWESOME to see people of all shapes and sizes... there wasn't any feeling overwhelmed by being surrounded by super fit people. My group ran the whole way, but there were a lot of people walking it, too.

There was some BIG issue at the end regarding the shuttles to take us back to our cars (which were parked far away) due to accidents on the highway. That part made it not the happiest 5K on earth.

I was stained blue (on my stomach mostly) for a few days. I think I took about 4 showers throughout the course of the day after the face in order to get it all off. :)

But I would do it again... hopefully at a different venue.
  • okeedokee5
    okeedokee5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

The FAQ's on the color run website said it's helpful if you put coconut oil or leave-in conditioner in your hair before the race... helps it all wash out easier. We used the leave-in conditioner, and I didn't have any issues getting it all out with some scrubbing (the tough part is getting out any color from your scalp).

Maybe lathering yourself up with body lotion before the race will help get it off your skin, too?
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My friends want me to join them in one next month but I'm not overly thrilled about the color. This coming from a guy who was caked in mud from Warrior Dash. :tongue:
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    if you've never run a5k before this is a very fun non threatening way to begin. lots of walkers right of the start. I did mine in a team and 95 organized races later, it was the most fun I have ever had. my boyfriend and a couple girlfriend ran this morning and I highly suggest it for new runners. The color aspect made for a lot of fun photos and stick of us gag a really good time without having to be competitive.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It was fun but frankly i think they are way overpriced. I ran the Georgia 1/2 marathon for the same price and got way more goodies. It was the only race of any sort i could find in the time frame though. The one i did ended up being more of a hike than a run. I expected it to be traily but their were rocks and hills. No one really ran....
  • Yolifun
    Yolifun Posts: 1
    Options
    It was an awful experience for me. My daughter was 8 yrs old and it was her first 5k. I couldn't believe she ran nonstop for the first mile! As we approached the 1 mile mark, an entire team of Color Me Rad staff heavily hit the runners with color and one of them nailed my daughter right in the face. I mean this grown woman aimed and threw it in her face! People say "hold your breath" when you run through the blasting spots on the trail, but that's hard to do when you're running. You are naturally breathing heavy. My daughter choked on the powdered color. She was crying so hard and EMTs had to wash out her eyes, nose and mouth. No plans to ever do that again. Even if you don't get slammed in the face by a worker, it can't be healthy breathing that colored corn starch into your lungs.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Me, my daughter and half my neighborhood are signed up for the Buffalo, NY one in August. It's our first one and we are looking forward to it. Will walk more than run but it's all about the fun factor for us.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've done two last summer, I'm about to do two more this summer. It really is a lot of fun. Warning: the corn starch gets into EVERYTHING. You will get fun colored skin. If you bring your phone, wrap it in plastic to protect it.

Do bring a bandana or something to wear around your neck, so you can use to cover your mouth, wear sunglasses - that's what I did with both of my runs, it helped a lot.

Don't use it as a measure of your time, a lot of the color stations eat up time, but it is rather fun.