Slightly Embarrassing But Oatmeal Causing Appalling Gas ?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I don't understand why. I love oatmeal but even having just two tablespoons full triggers the most foul smelling gas, and I don't get this issue really with most wheat products. I know oats can contain some gluten but surely if it was that, I would get the same reaction to wheat products, which although they bloat me and cause insane sugar cravings, I do not get gas with them.

Replies

• reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem, and sometimes gas so painful I couldn't walk. Finally figured out it was the oatmeal (Gluten-free, also) and dropped it. I've cut out all grains to a large degree. I cheat with rice (sushi!) on rare occasions, and do fine with quinoa (actually a seed) several times a week. I loved my oatmeal and was sad to see it go, but it was worth it! Good luck.
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem; oatmeal! Doesn't seem to happen with most other carby foods. Does happen with Cheerios and some other cereals, but nothing is worse that oatmeal! I think that eating it in the am is worse than in the pm. Anyone come up with any solution?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I can't eat it for the same reason. I love it but I will not eat it.:blushing: :blushing:
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I never had that problem with oatmeal before. Last week I was in a hurry so I stopped and McD's and got their oatmeal (and it's been MONTHS since I've had oatmeal in any form) and got HORRIBLE gas pain from it.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It might be the higher fiber content of oatmeal that is causing the gas. I don't eat oatmeal that much as I need more protein in the morning than I get from oatmeal, but I LOVE it!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I only get gas from it (and beans) if I haven't had enough fiber in my diet for awhile. I remember it really hurting. It passes though if you keep eating them. My brother was eating refried beans for 2-3 meals a day.. he says you adjust after awhile.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Do you track your fiber? Might be a good place to check.
  • melissaondesko
    melissaondesko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's most likely fructan, a carbohydrate that does not digest well in many (including me). There are a lot of foods with it, all delicious, sadly....
  • kelcassell
    kelcassell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does the same thing to me!! So sad...but for the sake of the people at the gym, I had to give it up too. :(