Where can I get help, please! Off-topic warning

Options
I'm sorry for bringing this here. However, this is the only place where i can have access a large group of people.

Thank you for taking the time to read this:

Does anyone know where an "average joe" can go to get assistance on reporting what I feel is an unfair credit reporting by my Mortgage Company.

I came into some financial difficulties because my father died and the costs to bury him were left to me. Also, I had a car accident.

When I heard the Gov't was requesting Mortgage companies start programs for homeowners who were having difficulties... to make a long story shorter. Although, I wasn't late on my mortgage I knew i was going to have some rough months ahead. I called and informed them of my situation and submitted an application with my financial information. They said I qualified to have my mortgaged reduced by $150 for a trial period of 6 months. I saw this as the exact help I needed to get myself back in order. Again, I wasn't late on my mortgage Plus I always paid extra before my financial situation changed. Being they agreed to receive partial payments (they are reporting to the credit bereau that I'm late 30 days and this has caused my other credit cards to reduce my credit to the balance owed. When I looked at my mortgage statement my prinicpal and Interest are covered by this partial payment the Escrow amount is what is being affected, which if you know of Mortgages, I choose to pay the insurance and taxes through my mortgage. Now, that I can think about it with a clear mind. I could have requested to remove these escrow payments (I could pay with my income taxes) or they could have suggested that and I would have had a payment less than this "modified program".

I really feel I'm in a worse situation than before by being proactive. When I look at my mortagage account online, there isn't a month that a payment wasn't made. However, they are reporting I'm 2 months late.

Has anyone experienced this? Are there agencies out there that assist the "average joe" against Corporate America? This is really unfair.

thanks for reading

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean......I called about the same thing. My mortgage company told me that they would report me to the credit bureau's as being 30 days late though, so I decided not to go that route. :ohwell: I am sorry that you are going through this......they justify reporting you because you aren't paying the original terms of the mortgage, whether it is principle, interest, or escrow doesn't matter. I hope things get better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Thanks, gogoleaner and Phoenix :flowerforyou:

I wish I would have read it with a clearer mind... Now, they won't remove Escrow charges because I'm "supposedly" 2 months behind.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    that sucks!

Try the FTC. It may not help your immediate situation but:

"In an effort to better protect financially distressed homeowners, the Federal Trade Commission has initiated a rulemaking proceeding involving foreclosure rescue and loan modification services. The FTC is seeking public comment to determine whether certain practices by companies providing these services are unfair or deceptive and should be reined in by proposed rules that would set standards to protect consumers."

here is the link:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/decepmortgage.shtm
  • spicy618
    Options
    that sucks!

Try the FTC. It may not help your immediate situation but:

"In an effort to better protect financially distressed homeowners, the Federal Trade Commission has initiated a rulemaking proceeding involving foreclosure rescue and loan modification services. The FTC is seeking public comment to determine whether certain practices by companies providing these services are unfair or deceptive and should be reined in by proposed rules that would set standards to protect consumers."

here is the link:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/decepmortgage.shtm

Thanks! It's a start.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    Try your local housing and consumer credit counsling, usually in the blue pges with govt. listings, out local guys are great!!! Sometimes you need someone with pull. I think it's Good Housekeeping mag. that has a consumer letter section where they will help!!
  • spicy618
    Options
    Try your local housing and consumer credit counsling, usually in the blue pges with govt. listings, out local guys are great!!! Sometimes you need someone with pull. I think it's Good Housekeeping mag. that has a consumer letter section where they will help!!

Thanks so much. I'm on it.