Why did you become vegetarian/vegan?

Options
Amberh82
Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
After watching a few documentaries and thinking about my health, I'm thinking of leaning towards trying to make more vegetarian choices.

What was the reason you became vegetarian or vegan or just started making more vegetarian choices?

Also, as a newbie to all of this, do you have any tips or suggestions for me to help me get started?

Replies

• sitaraxox
    sitaraxox Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey :D well i'm vegetarian because i just can't stand the taste of meat, i love how clean a meat free body feels, that being said under doctors orders i eat fish because of alot of my health problems, but anywho..
    A good start to being vegetarian if you like meat are vegetarian meat sustitutes like QUORN (they make mince, sausages, pies, sausage roll...etc) and there is also Vege D'Lites which are bacon rashers, sausage and the likes. Anyways many of these alternatives (if not all) have a low calorie intake and provide a large amount of the nutrients the body requires as well as getting rid of that meat craving and giving you a base to a meal. They're a very healthy choice and don't contain the same animal fats that cause alot of weight gain

hope i helped and GOOD LUCK!! :3 xxx
  • bobemmer
    bobemmer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a good vegetarian and a sloopy vegan - I have not had meat, fish, and chicken for more than 3 years now. i struggle as I shove the donut in my moouth that i know it has eggs and probably dairy. The sugar calls my name but now onmfp i log what goes inmy mouth. i look to live as simply as possible which benefits me and the animals in the world!
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I spent a weekend with my vegetarian friend and ate like she did went to hot yoga with her and realized I didn't miss meat and my body felt soooo good so I decided to try it for myself and stick with it. I'm a newbie too its only been 58 days so far so good. I also don't agree with the the animals are processed it is very cruel! that has some factor into why I went vegetarian but it's not the main reason.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian. I also listened to Fast Food Nation on audiobook.

I chose to become vegetarian because:

1) Plant based diets are healthier (lower in cholesterol and saturated fats)
    2) I love animals - I hate how the food industry massacres animals
    3) Plant based diets are greener
    4) I love to cook, so being meat/chicken/fish/egg free forces me to be more creative in the kitchen.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I still eat meat, but very rarely, and when I do it must be humanely raised and local/regional.

The documentary Forks Over Knives got me thinking about it more, and then the documentary Food Inc. made my wife and I swear off store bought, industrial meat.
  • Amberh82
    Options
    I recommend reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian. I also listened to Fast Food Nation on audiobook.

I chose to become vegetarian because:

1) Plant based diets are healthier (lower in cholesterol and saturated fats)
    2) I love animals - I hate how the food industry massacres animals
    3) Plant based diets are greener
    4) I love to cook, so being meat/chicken/fish/egg free forces me to be more creative in the kitchen.

I already have the book, just need to start reading it :). I haven't watched Fast Food Nation yet (its on my watch list) but I saw Food Inc. That was enough lol. I also watched Forks over Knives and Vegucated. Both good documentaries on the benefits of "no meat" diet
  • Amberh82
    Options
    I still eat meat, but very rarely, and when I do it must be humanely raised and local/regional.

The documentary Forks Over Knives got me thinking about it more, and then the documentary Food Inc. made my wife and I swear off store bought, industrial meat.

Yes! I saw both of these and Vegucated. I never thought about it before, but now I can't stop thinking about how gross it is.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I love animals and they way they are treated is disgusting! The guilt of eating an animal itself was the main reason. My second reason was I wasn't keen on meat anyway, before I went veggie all I ate was chicken that I couldn't even prepare myself so I just gave it up!
    Feel much happier and healthier for it!

Reducing meat gradually is the easiest way, i just dived straight in and it was kinda hard at first because I didn't give myself time to plan what I would replace meat with in my meals! :-)
  • lahstrand
    lahstrand Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey there! We have a lot in common :) I grew up in a vegetarian household. We weren't banned from eating meat so if I went to a friend's house I'd eat bacon (my favorite!), but I grew up eating very little meat. In high school through college I was a complete vegetarian. I started eating meat again when I got married...probably contributed to my weight gain. Now I'm trying to only eat meat once or twice a week. My husband is a great cook who loves meat so it is a little difficult. here are my tips:

Stock up on veggies, fresh, frozen, canned
    Cook lots of whole grains and freeze it in 1 cup servings: brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal
    If you aren't going vegan eggs are great
    Beans are extremely versatile
    All kinds of nut butters are wonderful too

I try to stay away from the pre-packaged fake meat products. Most of them are overly processed with an extra long ingredient list. I make my own black bean burgers that freeze well.

I will say when I don't eat meat, but eat a healthy plant diet with good protiens I feel like I have more calories to use.
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It is pretty difficult to get adequate levels of protein eating a vegetarian diet. You have to be very well educated on it, and very careful, and eat a LOT of beans, quinoa, and other protein-containing grains. I eat vegetarian for lent, and its really tough to eat a healthy vegetarian diet, it gives you a lot of respect for the vegetarians that are actually healthy, and gives you a lot of insight into why so many vegetarians are skinny fat. One year we may try going vegan, but I think that will be even harder!

For those of you from the "guilt" school of vegetarianism, or from the anti-meat industry school, this may seem a little counter-intuitive, but look into buying some local venison, turkey, or squirrel meat. These animals are 100% free range, eat completely organic, and the process used to harvest them is far more humane than commercial slaughterhouses. No hunter wants to chase a deer, so we all ensure they are killed instantly with as little pain as possible, since pain=adrenaline=running=chasing. They are also cheap and leaner than store bought meat, and you can make sure that 100% of the animal is used. Hunting also takes the place of natural predators in the ecosystem and prevents unecessary amounts of roadkill and other accidental animal deaths which are in almost every case more painful ways to die for a deer than a bullet.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I simply don't like to eat cute things. So, with that said I have cut out all meat minus chicken / turkey. It's something I'm working on.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm veg*n because I think it's the kindest way to feed myself. It doesn't require someone else to kill an animal for my sustenance. And plants make for some mighty good eating!

I have been veg*n since 1973. Back then, I was a meat-eater who fussed about the aesthetics of certain types of meat--like steak, whole chickens with bones, etc. At a work-related BBQ, I said 'Ewwww' when I saw the rare sirloin steak. My boss said, "You are such a hypocrite, sitting there eating a hamburger and being so sensitive about this steak." The truth of this statement hit me immediately, and from that moment on, I have not eaten meat.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    It is pretty difficult to get adequate levels of protein eating a vegetarian diet.

I have never once had a problem getting enough protein as a vegetarian.
    If that were true, you'd have TONS of people walking around with protein deficiency.

(Number are as follows: calories/fat/carbs/fiber/protein)
    El Milagro - Corn Tortilla, 2 Tortillas 100 0 24 2 2
    Casa Mamita - Fat Free Refried Beans, 1/2 Cup (124g) 100 0 18 6 6
    Sargento - Reduced Fat Colby-Jack Shredded Cheese, 1/4 cup (28g) 90 5 2 0 7
    Boca - Mealtess crumbles - 60 .5 6 3 13
    Nature Blessed - Fajita Vegetables, 2/3 cup 25 0 5 1 1
    Pampa - 100% Pure Vegetable Oil, 0.5 Tbsp (15ml) 65 7 0 0 0

You're telling me that 29 grams of protein is not enough for a meal?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It is pretty difficult to get adequate levels of protein eating a vegetarian diet.

I have had issues, but that was due to me not eating right, not due to me being a vegetarian. If you eat a reasonable variety of vegetables, whole grains, and legumes, protein will not be an issue.

As for why I'm vegetarian (actually I'm about 99% vegan), I don't like the idea of an animal suffering and being killed so I can eat it. There are also a plethora of health, environmental, and humanitarian arguments for being veg*n--even the World Health Organization has made arguments for plant based diets.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

If that were true, you'd have TONS of people walking around with protein deficiency.

Of course, anecdotal evidence supports both sides.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options

Of course, anecdotal evidence supports both sides.

I edited my response and copied a recent meal of mine.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I simply don't like to eat cute things. So, with that said I have cut out all meat minus chicken / turkey. It's something I'm working on.

Same as me.................hard to kick my chicken and Turk
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just ignorant, but do vegetarians eat eggs?
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I went vegan because I was tired of feeling bogged down, tired, and just plain blah. That kicked off my healthier eating, but I refuse to be so strict with food so vegetarian it was about 2 weeks after going vegan. I remain vegetarian because I love how I feel - fish makes me happy and I still feel the way I like to feel so I eat fish. Plus I like feeling full when I eat a meal, I don't like to have to eat throughout the day because I'm never full - that's how I felt before adding fish back to the mix. It's probably just me, but that has been my experience. Also, try not to eat a ton of processed "vegetarian" crap - in my opinion, if you're eating a bunch of processed junk you're better off eating organic meat!

For me, food is not something that I have these huge strong beliefs in. If it makes my body feel good, it is allowed. My family still eats meat, but knowing what I know I prefer to buy organic as often as I can. Good luck on your journey! You'll feel great, guaranteed, then you'll decide what works best for you :)

Just don't become a CARBOtarian - that will make it very hard to get good stuff in, like protein and vitamins. I fell into that trap for a bit ;)
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just ignorant, but do vegetarians eat eggs?

Vegans don't. Some vegetarians do, some don't. I do - since I started working out more and lifting heavier weights, I NEED the protein and eggs are just easy. *shrugs