Question about ground turkey

Options
2»

Replies

• krismonaco
    krismonaco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is good because its not as greasy and has a lot of good flavor. Add some chopped up jalepenos and dress it up with good condiments and it will be wonderful!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love experimenting with turkey burgers. My favorite so far has been chopped raw spinach and gorgonzola cheese.

YUM!

I've also done Italian seasoned ground turkey with a spoonful of natural tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella rolled into a ball and put in the middle of the meat as pizza burgers for the kids.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I add ketchup, a lil bit of bread crumbs, onion & pepper sometimes garlic... grill, tastes really good!! Sometimes I use an egg instead of ketchup. I find that you do need to add something liquid or it can be a bit dry. It wont taste like a reg hamburger, but it is really good. I use ground turkey about 75% of the time, its great in spaghetti, tacos, lasagna, casseroles etc as well.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    I love turkey burgers, but no - they don't taste like just like beef. It's great lean protein. We always add McCormick's Poultry Seasoning (low sodium version) to the raw meat and use avocado for a spread on the bun (instead of mayo) and a white cheese (usually havarti). I really like chipotle bbq sauce on my turkey burgers as well because it gives my burger a nice kick. Turkey burgers are very versatile - countless topping options because of the mild flavor of the meat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thankfully ground turkey does NOT taste like ground beef (i hate beef ).

please season your food and dont serve bland boring stuff, mmmkay? :laugh:

good seasoning with turkey : cumin, thyme, red pepper, cilantro and garlic. nutmeg is also good as well..

dont be afraid to experiment with spices
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Mix it with 5 parts beef
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Season like a regular burger :) Turkey is a bit leaner and will have less of that yummy greasy taste, so sometimes you need to do a little more to spruce it up. I recommend minced garlic, pepper, fresh herbs, anything really. Minimize salt before cooking so it doesn't overdry.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I thought the question was going to be, "Why does it taste so bad?"

I prefer elk or bison if I want to go lean with burgers or just lean beef. I think it's more of a texture thing actually.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love using turkey as a beef/pork substitute. Turkey isn't as flavorful as beef, but seasoning goes a long way. I make buffalo burgers by mixing chopped onion, shredded carrot, breadcrumbs and hot sauce with the turkey (just watch the sodium!)

Try a turkey brat - so good and a fraction of the calories/fat!
  • caiialily
    caiialily Posts: 28
    Options
    Rehashing what everyone else is already saying, the turkey will not taste like the ground beef. You can season it the same way as ground beef or use a poultry-type seasoning. Either way it tastes great.

I wanted to chime in and say depending on the fat content of the turkey you bought, just be really careful not too overcook it or it will get tough. Like ground beef, ground turkey comes in a variety of fat/meat ratios. There's regular ground turkey, lean (usually about 10 to 7% fat), and extra lean (3 to 1% fat). The less fat there is, the more carefully you have to avoid overcooking since fat adds to the moistness. That said, make sure you cook it thoroughly to avoid foodborne illness.

Hope you enjoy it!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can eat ground turkey and have it taste good. I use a simple recipe for turkey burgers
    ground turkey,
    finely chopped apple (1/2)
    1 egg (or corn starch)
    finely chopped onion
    Dill (fresh is better)

Mix it all together and yummy.. you can sub dill for curry and that's delish. The apple keeps it moist.

YOU can eat red meat though. Ground bison is delish and ground beef is totally fine. Just get the lean beef and you can have it. I can eat more turkey for the same calories though, so if you want bulk, you might want to stick to turkey.

Have fun
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We make 99% lean turkey burgers all the time. Grating sweet onion into it will help keep it moist. When I'm in a hurry I add green salsa verde to mine. Horseradish is a yummy addition. Worcestershire sauce helps with moisture and makes it taste a little bit like real burger. Montreal Seasoning too. But still it's going to be a turkey burger and not a real beef burger. When I'm craving red meat I get the 96% lean ground beef, add a little onion as well for moisture. With vidalia onions in season right now, I can't help but add onion. We will thickly slice onions and grill them with the burgers. They are yummy on top!
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I get Jenni O 93/7 ground turkey. I use season salt. I also like to mix in feta cheese. Blue Cheese might be good but Hubby does not like that kind.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash. It is great flavoring, yet it is low to zero everything! :) I do mine on George Foreman (make sure you spray non-stick spray first), but can do it on the grill.