Stay At Home Dad

Options

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Believe me I know that working dads come home and do their part as well.

Maybe SOME do. There are plenty that don't.... trust me.
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options
    If you're going to lobby for a stay at home position, you might want to pull your pants up.

If this comment had any more awesomeness, it would be me.

you fellas want private pics of my thigh gap? :flowerforyou:
    In a couple of days, when you haven't received the attention you were looking for, you'll post it anyway.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    If you're going to lobby for a stay at home position, you might want to pull your pants up.

If this comment had any more awesomeness, it would be me.

you fellas want private pics of my thigh gap? :flowerforyou:

There is no word in the English vernacular that adequately conveys my answer to this question, other than "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHD. It's awesome. Will answer questions if wanted.
  • Littlemama76
    Options

MY point being that you guys get to work...have a bit of a break from having to deal with "mom, I want this...Mom so and so hit me...mom Im hungry" all day long. I am not complaining because I love being a stay at home mom... but the fast of the matter is it can drive you nuts at times :laugh:

I'm a SAHM as well and I can TOTALLY relate. My husband is super involved daily and on Saturdays he's usually in charge all day while I run all of my errands...it makes him appreciate me all the more :wink:

As for Stay at home dads...I know a few and they're great at it!!! It's really like any other job in that respect, some people are cut out for it and some are not!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I think women are alot better fit, emotional, and suited for raising and caring for kids.

Why is it automatically the woman's job?
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My husband works 3 12-hour shifts a week, and I work 2 12-hour shifts a week. When I'm at work, he has the house and kids. Meals, laundry, homeschool, referreeing fights, changing diapers, cleaning up messes, chauferring kids back and forth to activities, running errands with little ones in tow...you have no clue what all stay-at-home moms actually do. But he does. He will be the first to tell you that it's easier to go to work, as much as he loves our children and enjoys spending time with them. They are exhausting.
    (I refer to working Friday and Saturday nights in the intensive care unit as "my vacation.")
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What's it like to have to depend on your wife to buy the food, pay the mortgage, cable, electric etc?

Doesn't that emasculate you?

You are making many assumptions there. It reminds me of the running joke in college where we would ask one of our buddy's "So, have you told your mom that you're gay yet?" ... answering it in any form validates the question.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I would go bat**** crazy if I had to stay at home with kids.

I'm a single mother, though, it's always been all me all the time.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I'd love to be a stay-at-home-dad, except for those damn kids at my house. Gah. They're so damn needy. "Papa, I'm hungry." "Papa, I'm on fire." It never ends with them.

(Ha.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would never want to be a stay at home mom. Yuck. I just graduated from college a month and a half ago and haven't found a job yet and I hate not having anywhere to go!! Going to the gym and pool are pretty much my only activities. And entertaining my son all the time is exhausting. lol.
  • GTOgirl1969
    Options
    most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.

I was a SAHM for ten years, and let me tell you, I WISH I would have had the time (or the money!) to get my nails done, or go shopping, or sit on the couch watching soaps and eating bon-bons like I bet you think all SAHMs do.

I work a full time job (10 hours/day) and still come home and do it all. I'm a single mom, and proud of it- I left an abusive situation and it took a lot out of me, but I'm still here and the b@stard didn't grind me down like he wanted to.

Not all women are the same, and not all situations are the same. Painting everyone with the same brush doesn't make you look any better or smarter.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i'm a stay at home dad to 3 kids. Toughest job in the world. I'll go from gymboree to the gym. lol.
  • GTOgirl1969
    Options

What's it like to have to depend on your wife to buy the food, pay the mortgage, cable, electric etc?

No more than it makes a woman feel more like a man when she has to do all that PLUS mow the yard, clean the gutters, and fix the car.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Single guy here but my mom always refused to stay at home, although kids are grown up now, but they still don't know how to pull their pants up.

Lady worked full time at a meat processing plant and found the time to come home clean, cook, garden, etc.. no limit to what that women.. most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.

"Most" women?? I'd say those women are the exception. I was a stay at home mom for 2 years. We did it so that I could make sure our son was getting the one on one attention we thought he deserved. At 2, we thought he'd do better in preschool, so I went back to work.

"Most" stay at home moms I know work hard. I don't know a single SAHM who's kids go to day care full time. Most of the ladies I know, cook meals three times a day, clean, do laundry, teach/play with the children, do volunteer work... I don't know that many lazy SAHMs. Of course, I don't know a lot of lazy working moms either, so maybe it's just the people I know.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options

That's funny
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's a pretty ****headed assumption....I was a stay at home mom for 6 years. I also worked a third shift job while my kids were sleeping so that I could bring in additional money. Plus, I'd rather my children be cared for at home by a parent and one spouse "depend" on the other then pay complete strangers to raise my children and not do it in the way I want it done.
  • beauty2323
    beauty2323 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would love to work & spoil my husband & him watch the babiessss.:laugh: .... (we only have 1 princess right now)
    ...I work more than him so he does take care the house more. He cooks for me but I also love to cook for him.

If I made enough to support us & our lifestyle I wouldn't have a problem with him being the stay at home dad. He would probably have the problem. He wants to make enough to make me a housewife & spoil me rotten. Of course there are no objections over here :laugh:

I love him & no matter where we are in life I know he has my back & he knows I have his. :heart:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends?

Frankly, what any woman or man does with their spare time that is OK with their partner isn't really your business.

My husband feels better and like the ultimate provider when his wife is at home doing whatever-the-hell she wants. We don't even have kids, just pets, but when I work, he gets less awesome food and less magically clean house and a less perfectly stress free wife. My motivation? Having the happiest husband ever. Man, I am a total success. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

ETA, I like stay at home dads- people have to adjust for their strengths and weaknesses and there are a lot of dads that are better at being full time child attendants than their chosen women. It's really a shame that both partners seem to always have to work these days to get ahead. :(
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.

I don't know WHAT stay at home moms you know, but they aren't anywhere near me! I stayed at home until my boys started school...only THEN did I go back to work...before that, I was with them 24/7 (with the exception of when I worked while they were sleeping)...I couldn't afford nails or shopping or drinking. I have more motivation than most, but it is important to raise my children the way I feel is best.