Best exercises for someone without much equipment?

Options
OK, I've got an old-school treadmill, a weight bench...I think all the pieces re still there....and a set of hand weights, up to 15 lbs.

Whats the best type of exercises to gain lean muscle using these? or am I better off to use my own body weight? Squats, Push Ups

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    When it's nice outside I like to walk a block ...then run or jog a block. It's like intervals...and I burn much faster doing it!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My vote is Kettleball. Its much better on aerobic workouts then free weights. youTube is a good to find a nice routines.
  • KeisterBunny
    KeisterBunny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like walking, in specific Nordic Walking. Look it up online. Some people call is ski walking. All you need is the poles, they are really reasonable. I got mine from Swiss Gear for $20 for the pair. It's a great workout for the upper and lower body. Planks are always good for building your core muscles. Lunges for your quads and hamstrings.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Search NerdFitness beginner- it will give you stuff you can do with no equipment, then you can just add in equipment.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    lunges, dips, walking, crunches
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Go to Youtube and watch Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred....I just started day 1, level 1 today...after just 20 minutes I was dripping with sweat, and now (about 3 hours later), I can definitely feel it...every part of me is sore! All you need are some hand weights, and maybe a mat (since a lot of the excercises are on the floor).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I would be weary of using a treadmill that has gone a long while without use. It may run fine for a bit after turning it on but I'd be scared. Too much to go wrong.

Can you purchase a balance ball? They're cheap. I think that by doing a lot of exercises with a balance ball, the hand weights, and maybe a medicine ball too combined with bodyweight exercises you could go for. I've spent the last week following a program I put together that uses the following equipment:

1. 8 lb medicine ball (the soft kind--8 bucks at Walmart, you might want to go lighter)
    2. Balance ball (like 10 bucks at Walmart)
    3. 15 and 20 lb dumbbells
    4. The Perfect Pushup V2 (30 bucks at Walmart)
    5. A jump rope

I can definitely tell based on the way I feel and the way I'm showing functional improvements as I progress that it's a solid workout program that will show you functional results. It consists of exercises like:

Medicine ball chest toss while on balance ball

Burpee/mountain climber intervals (I start out doing burpees and if I run out of steam before the interval timer tells me I can stop i switch to mountain climbers, using the Perfect Pushup handles to alleviate wrist pain/strain)

Pushups

Swimmers on the medicine ball with dumbbells

Masons on the balance ball with the medicine ball

Jumping rope for cardio
  • Mlopez0623
    Options
    Insanity!

That work out doesn't need much and gets CRAZY results. Only 60 days and you have transformed in your own home.

Its not good for building muscles so much, but your strength will increase greatly and the fat will burn.

Other than that, try bodybuilding.com. They have so many workouts on there you can use. Be creative.....dips on your kitchen chairs, run up/down your stairs at home (if you have them), wall sits, planks, etc, There is so many options.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Insnaity or P90X are great for this.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Totally thought this thread was going somewhere else. I was just about to recommend some links from my spam filter.

teehee....whoops...

ETA: I'm getting insanity next week sometime...just don't wanna be the same old lazy me between now and then
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I second the nerdfitness.com body weight workouts - that'll get you started with next to nothing and is easy to do at home or even while traveling
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I second the nerdfitness.com body weight workouts - that'll get you started with next to nothing and is easy to do at home or even while traveling

OK, so I love this site, thank you 1million times :)
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv is fantastic, large variety of workouts so you don't get bored.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I bought a latin party Pack - 4 workouts based on latin dance moves. Even came with a 30 day schedule. I started it last week and have lost 4lbs but only changing my workout from running to that!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Honestly, I'm biased since I saw that you typed in a weight bench. Do weight training and alternate jogging, running, and walking whatever you like best. I liked someones idea about the jump rope cause that's fun. The hand weights can be good if your just starting out you can do a workout dvd and use those or create your own circuit training work out which is what I do:) Honestly a lot of people go back and forth on weight training but do it! It feels good and you'll see results on your body faster than the scale!
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My vote is Kettleball. Its much better on aerobic workouts then free weights. youTube is a good to find a nice routines.
    X2 I just got a kettlebell the other day. I thought I was in shape!
  • chrisc16
    chrisc16 Posts: 94
    Options
    I use elastic resistance bands for strength workouts and a old 80's mountain bike for moderate cardio. Works great, and is cheap.