Fire my trainer?

Options
OK, Ive been working out with a trainer since December 2011. I started at 220 and got down to 204 by March 2012. This trainer's focus was all weight resistence. We parted company because he left the gym for happier hunting grounds.
My current trainer is very concerned about my cardio. I admitt I go out of breath pretty quickly and that needs work. But its annoying to have a guy stand by the treadmill, eliptical, etc and just talk to me. There is some resistence training, but still with a cardio focus. I miss the lifting. I have also been advised elswhere on MFP that HEAVY LIFTING is the way to go.
Should I ditch my current trainer?
I'm 46, 5'6", 202, Consider myself sedentary with a desk job, My goal weight 160 (but strong)

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift, then find a trainer who will train you in that.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    how long have you been with this trainer? If a week or two I'd just ask him what the future plans are and how he sees this working on going and make a decision then. IMO though you have been working with a trainer for a long time and should have learned enough to work without a trainer. Are you using the trainer for motivation?
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This is completely external to the cardio vs. heavy lifting debate (although i love lifting heavy and have had more results in 3 months with than in 3 years of strictly cardio).

Your trainer is charging you money to hover near a treadmill. He should be making you a cardio plan to do on your own time. The sessions you have together should focus on exercises that he can help you with, like lifting. Plus, you've told him you want to lift....he should have you lifting if there are no contraindications in your health history.

Fire him.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Instead of ditching him, why not talk to him about what you want to do?

Cardio also has some great health benefits, and I do think it probably has a place in your training program, but I wouldn't feel I was getting my money's worth if my training sessions were eaten up on the treadmill!
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    how long have you been with this trainer? If a week or two I'd just ask him what the future plans are and how he sees this working on going and make a decision then. IMO though you have been working with a trainer for a long time and should have learned enough to work without a trainer. Are you using the trainer for motivation?

Of course there is the motivation factor: I'm expected at an appointment so no matter what I show up. I have been with this trainer since the beginning of May 2012. The "pit" where all the heavy weights are is always crowded, and he has indicated he doesn't think standing around waiting to do sets will be productive.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    tell him you would like to concentrate on resistance work and cut back on cardio - its your money.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is charging you money to hover near a treadmill. He should be making you a cardio plan to do on your own time. The sessions you have together should focus on exercises that he can help you with, like lifting. Plus, you've told him you want to lift....he should have you lifting if there are no contraindications in your health history.

Fire him.

Agree with the analysis above, but I don't see why you should fire the guy without having a more detailed discussion about what you expect. If he is unwilling or unable to accomodate you, then find another trainer.
  • makeuplov
    makeuplov Posts: 2
    Options
    From past knowledge I have found that it is a good idea to do both cardio and lifting. As long as your not using heavy weights to lift, I don't see why you should not be doing both. Maybe you should voice your concern and maybe he or she can give you a reason for why they are doing that type of training. Communication always makes things better!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Of course there is the motivation factor: I'm expected at an appointment so no matter what I show up. I have been with this trainer since the beginning of May 2012. The "pit" where all the heavy weights are is always crowded, and he has indicated he doesn't think standing around waiting to do sets will be productive.

There has to be a way you can get to a cable machine or a set of kettlebells or a barbell or a few weight plates or something. If there is no access to these you should consider working out at a different time or finding a different gym.

Some days I wait plenty while working through a weight session. This is usually to get to the squat rack and then I'm generally able to work in with someone or just wait 5 mins until the person ahead of me is done. That 5mins isn't really a waste. I'll get in a different set I need while waiting.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    tell him you would like to concentrate on resistance work and cut back on cardio - its your money.

Indeed it is. But wanting to do the right thing and do a proper workout, I was trusting a proffesional ( one hopes) and was relying on his advice. I think now that may have been a mistake
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    If you've been lifting since December, I'm not sure you still need a trainer. Seems like you could create a schedule for yourself.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    these guys are only as good as the training they have got i think he should be willig to sort out a programme that works for you - not just for your weight loss goals but for motivation as well. if he's not interested in what you want out of the session i'd ditch him.
  • Stazed
    Stazed Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yip, pay him to do the weights stuff, you don't need to be paying him to stand beside you whilst you run on treadmill. I do all my own cardio and do resistance with a trainer.
  • laurenematheson
    Options
    As a trainer, I believe personal training sessions are to motivate you and help you to find what you like to do, in order to LIKE achieving your goals. If you enjoy lifting, and your trainer is not incorporating any lifting into your regimen, I would yes, find a different trainer.

I can see that if your trainer thinks you need to work on cardio, thats what they are going to suggest working on. But I do not think they are doing a very good job, if they are standing beside you on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes.

Maybe ask if your routine can be revamped to incorporate maybe half cardio/half lifting, or involve a more engaging carido, such as jogging outside instead of on the treadmill. If your trainer isn't willing to consider what you enjoy doing as exercise, then I would find someone else.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Thanks for the input. BELIEVE me,I have communicate from the start and getting louder that I want weigh training. I'm told 1) not a good idea untill I get "My wind up" 2) the weight room is a crowded mess
    The only weights I've worked are hand dumbells. There is a circut of machines, but since they don't involve the stabilizer muscles I think there of little value
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns for cardio when done full out seem to be wicked high. Weights there are stalls etc to them and don't even get me started if someones going to reply with "my hrm says I burn lots" because hrms can't determine calorie burns for resistance training. That said, you can burn lots and lose weight on lifts, and look wicked too. I found that weight really made a difference in the inches with me. When it boils down to it does it really matter if cardio burns more? Do what you enjoy, because you're more likely to want to do it, and do it often. For me, I'd much rather do pilates. Cardio us not enjoyable and hurts my joints. I try to do it because I'd like to walk up stairs without getting winded.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do your best Donald Trump impersonation, "YOU'RE FIRED!! :mad: :explode: "

He's not totally off, having some cardio conditioning is definitely important BUT... his reasoning and approach is ****ed. Just do it on your own and don't pay some fool that bought a $500 certificate that says they can train people. Get Starting Strength (Mark Rippletoe) or 5/3/1 (Jim Wendler) and do 30 min's of cardio 3 or 4 times a week. Most trainers suck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. BELIEVE me,I have communicate from the start and getting louder that I want weigh training. I'm told 1) not a good idea untill I get "My wind up" 2) the weight room is a crowded mess
    The only weights I've worked are hand dumbells. There is a circut of machines, but since they don't involve the stabilizer muscles I think there of little value

I concur with everyone else.. Ditch this trainer and get a new one.

I see my trainer on a thursday at 4:30.. Primetime for all meatheads to be in the gym lifting.. and we still get everything accomplished that my trainer wants to get accomplished. If a certain piece of equipment is taken, then we substitute with something else..My trainer always has a backup plan in place.

You are right about machines being inferior to free weights, but they can help.. esp if you are in a pinch and other things that you want to use are taken.

No trainer should be paid to stand around and watch you run on a treadmill.. unless it's part of a weightlifting routine and being used as active rest.
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely talk to him - tell him what you want out of the training. If it does not work out, you should hire another trainer. I would be unhappy too about paying someone to watch me run on the treadmill.

Just to share my experience with a trainer - my husband engaged a trainer for me last month to help me start out my weight loss journey. We meet twice a week. First session we do cardio, but I don't spend any time on the treadmill or elliptical (except for a warm-up which I do before the session). The cardio is high intensity interval training - I do exercises which I would never do on my own and his job is to make sure that I do them right and I push myself. For example we do walking lunges with weights, jumping jacks, throw the medicine ball while running sideways, burpees etc. He usually has these sessions planned in advanced and I pretty much hate doing them.

The second session we do weights. I had told him before that my aim was to get comfortable using the free weights and weight machines. This is main reason for me for having a trainer - learning to use the weights. After each the weight session (which he records), he writes out what I did so I can repeat it during the week. He notes what weight I am lifting at so he can see if I make progress in the future.

Hope this helps. I am new to my MFP and this is my first post - I don't even have a profile photo yet - sorry about that.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do your best Donald Trump impersonation, "YOU'RE FIRED!! :mad: :explode: "

He's not totally off, having some cardio conditioning is definitely important BUT... his reasoning and approach is ****ed. Just do it on your own and don't pay some fool that bought a $500 certificate that says they can train people. Get Starting Strength (Mark Rippletoe) or 5/3/1 (Jim Wendler) and do 30 min's of cardio 3 or 4 times a week. Most trainers suck.

Agreed!! I fired my trainer about a month ago because he was more interested in his cell phone than what I was doing and he tried to push what worked for him on me. He thought cardio was a waste of time and that you shouldn't get your heart rate up at all. (opposite of your trainer)
    I think think that both cardio and strength are important, just for the record.
    I learned a lot in the time that I did train with him butfor a fraction of the cost I got a membership at a gym, take classes offered through there and run 3x a week.
    My pocket book feels much heavier and I feel better:)