too much protein?

Options
somatiff
somatiff Posts: 27 Member
Can you eat too much protein?

I am typically coming in around 70-90 grams per day. Is that bad?

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    It depends on the person really. Personally i try eat over 95g because my lean mass is 95lbs. I think you can eat up to 3g per lb bodyweight. If you're overweight you eat less but still a lot and you should eat considerably more if you're leaner than average.
  • somatiff
    Options
    good to know!! :)

I think I am doing just fine then.
  • bceagleace
    bceagleace Posts: 22
    Options
    too much protein over a prolonged period of time is not good for you. protein is synthesized in the liver, and if you over tax it too long it is bad.

3g per pound of body weight is WAY too much!!! A lot of body builders adding muscle follow a 1 to 1.5 gram per pound of body weight guidline. 3 gr. per lb is too much.
  • somatiff
    Options
    Well, unfortunately, at this point, I am a bit over 200 lbs, so I think 70-90 grams isn't too much. I'm trying not to overdo it with anything though. I am just trying to keep an eye on it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like this blog to answer your question.

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/the-truth-about-protien/
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have 120lbs of muscle weight on me... therefor I am suppose to get at least 120 g of protein! You should figure out your muscle mass. :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 100-125 a day.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    CAN you? If you have certain conditions; yes.

That being said, I aim for 150 g a day. I end with between 150 and 180 ish most days. I lift weights, and I workout (cardio) a considerable amount...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's probably not a problem, but if you have any type of medical ailment or disease, or if you have not had a medical checkup in a while, you would be wise to check with a physician before eating over the protein recommendation on a regular basis.

There are a number of medical conditions that can make eating too much protein dangerous.