Regarding your food diary, would you bother to log in...

Options
2»

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Possibly relevant. Based on this info I would probably log it as an ounce or two.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/chocolate-cake-(without-frosting)?portionid=45403&portionamount=1.000
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd find something comparable and log it.

ETA that sometimes the most innocent looking piece of cake sometimes is not.

But how would she know whether it's innocent or not? Without knowing the ingredients it's only a guess as to what is "comparable".
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'd find something comparable and log it.

ETA that sometimes the most innocent looking piece of cake sometimes is not.

But how would she know whether it's innocent or not? Without knowing the ingredients it's only a guess as to what is "comparable".

That's why I'm suggesting to log it as something rather than nothing.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I would log it, even if it's just quick calories added...you're adding extra calories.
    I had 2 pieces of cake last week - was a friend's birthday and my own so just had a wee square of each. I didn't know the nutritional info of my friend's so just added the quick calories. For my own, I'd planned to eat it later in the day so added it in the morning and had something to look forward to later in the day (and it was delicious:smile: ) was still within my calorie goal as well.
    Don't worry about reverting to bad habits - you should treat yourself now and again...just remember to keep track of your treats as well :tongue:
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding, but I wanted to thank all for their input and words of wisdom. It gave me something to think about and next time, YES...I'll log in a piece of cake, no matter how small.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I probably would.

For me it's not so much that i think the amount of calories in that cake is significant. It's the attitude that I might adopt. I might end up starting to think "oh it's not that significant" about a lot of tiny things, which in turn might me more likely to eat more tiny little things. They all add up.

If I log it, I make sure I'm always aware of what I'm eating, and I don't risk denial--which I'm very skilled in.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Today at work several co-workers threw a small birthday party for another co-worker. Someone brought in a store-bought chocolate cake. Nothing fancy, just one of those ordinary cakes you see for maybe ten bucks. No uber moist fillings or other creamy ingredients other than the frosting. Speaking of which, I didn't eat any of the frosting, only the cake.

So my question is, should I bother to log in a small cube of dry chocolate cake that was maybe 2" x 2" ? This was the first piece of cake I'd had in over 6 weeks and I don't feel like I'm in jeopardy of reverting to bad habits or anything (at least not yet). Overall, I'd say I'm very good at logging in everything I eat throughout the day. But the MFP food database only gives me chocolate cake options that are way more decadent than what I ate.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your feedback.
    All this is making me want CAKE!!!!LOL
    Log it......if u start with something small(not logging)you'll start leaving little things out everyday:)Maybe.
    Have a great day!!!!!
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with the consensus, log it. It's not a big deal that you ate it, but logging it helps you be accountable to yourself. As for not having the exact thing in the DB, I prefer to err on the side of caution and log more calories for an item than to under log. Now all I need to do is find a birthday party myself!