Help! overcome by DOMS!

Options
I'm too sore to run tonight because of muscle soreness, so I'll have to get up early tomorrow to get my training in. Any suggestions for dealing with muscle soreness/DOMS?

Replies

• seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can take glutamine. My soreness has been pretty bad because I have started lifting heavy. I have it in powdered form and add it to my protein shake after my workout.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Do you take a good whey isolate protein shake after a workout? I find this helps quite a bit. Do you make sure to stretch out afterwards? Also try looking into foam rolling. I workout with a trainer and he recommends this for everyone. Its a type of massage therapy that you do with a piece of PVC pipe or you can buy an actual roller. He explained that as you work and stretch your muscles, as they relax they can knot up. By using the roller you can work them out. It hurts like h-e-l-l when you do it but the next day you'll feel much better.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Move. Walk, stretch, hike... do something. Laying around only makes it worse/last longer. You have to get blood flowing to the muscles... the more blood flow you have the sooner you'll feel better.

Aside from that, protein and BCAA help (some of the better protein powders will have BCAA and glutamine in them), as does epsom salt baths.
  • Holmesy2013
    Holmesy2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm probably not eating well enough for the training I'm doing, so first stop is increasing the protein. Hopefully that will improve things while I find where to get the glutamine from.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't really think that stretching helps much *with soreness* other than a placebo effect (although stretching does have other benefits). Some soreness after exercise is to perfectly normal. The main thing that helps me is doing some lower-intensity exercise. If you become sore enough after training that it interferes in your regular daily movements, that may be a sign that you need to increase the intensity of your workouts at a slower pace. You generally should not be "overcome" by DOMS.
  • krisha36
    krisha36 Posts: 63
    Options
    need advice
    i want to start running. how do you get started for those who have.
    thanks
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    stretch, hydrate, light movement, stretch, hydrate, potassium.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yoga -- especially a gentle/restorative class or a video that has a lot of twists, forward bends and hip openers.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Push through it.....If it doesn't affect your form you should be fine. I barely ever get DOMS anymore so I can't help much more other than that.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Get moving. And IcyHot.
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    biofreeze (wish they made a machine that I can just step into and get a dose :laugh: ) and ibuprofen
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day
    Have a hot bath w/ epsom salt
    Get a foam roller to work out your sore muscles
    Then get moving again--you won't be so sore once you get warmed up, I promise :smile:

Good luck and have fun!
  • heatherambrosia
    Options
    need advice
    i want to start running. how do you get started for those who have.
    thanks

I got started with a couch to 5K app. I'm in week 7 and though the first day was walk 60 seconds / run 60, I'm now (mostly) running 35 minutes straight. It is timed perfectly for that progression, and I'm still at 230 or so, so I know you can do it!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Foam roller.....best thing I ever bought....

and Biofreeze - that stuff rocks...
  • Holmesy2013
    Holmesy2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well I've found the cure.......protein! Thanks for all your suggestions, gonna give the foam roller a go too.