How to do Low Carb w/out Going Low Calorie

Options
I am trying to keep my carbs below 75 net g a day. The problem is when I do this I struggle making it to 1200 calories. I do workout 6 days a week, so I need the calories. I don't eat beef or pork, though I did try beef for the first time in 20 years yesterday for the boost and I hated it. I don't eat nuts, I have mild allergies and I am allergic to shellfish. But since I have PCOS, low carb is a must. It just seems like there aren't enough calories in low carb foods.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Up your protein. 1 g protein = 4 cal which is approximately the same as 1 g of carbs.

Personally I don't use them but perhaps protein shakes may be the answer?
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes, but usually what gives the extra calories is adding fruit and milk, which would then add to the carbs. I feel like I can't win here. Lately I have been drinking EAS Carb Advantage ready made shake since it is only 3g of carbs, but is also 100 calories :-(

Other than that how do you up your protein? I just can't eat large portions of meat at once, its so filling. I don't know what to do. I can eat a chicken thigh and feel like I've had enough. I guess I need to force myself to eat bigger meat portions. I think its because carbs have always been the center of my meal. I would have a side of chicken and an entree of mashed potatoes, that's how I have eaten most of my life. I would eat the meat quickly and savor the starchy carb. I need to figure out how to enjoy the meat, wow that sounded dirty, well you get what i mean.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, lots of green veg, protein shakes, chicken legs with the skin on, hummus with veg sticks, you may need to snack more as you can feel quite satisfied with a large salad but it might not be many calories so having cheesey snacks or hummus between meals might help give you a boost. i always keep cold meats in the fridge too for snacking on, but aim for best quality as the cheaper ones are full of all sorts of stuff you don't really want! Also buy packs of chicken thighs/drumsticks, cook them all in the oven and eat them cold from the fridge, they keep for a few days cold.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    mmm...avocados...cheese...BUTTER!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    FAT. If you take 800 calories of carbs out of the typical diet then you need 90g more fat to make up for it.

Cheese, oily fish, high fat versions of everything - no light or lean nonsense.

Put cream in the protein shake, and flaxseed or chia seed.

You can only utilise a certain amount of protein, so that's not the way to go. 30% of calories is enough.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I love cheese so that won't be hard. I am going to try to eat more chicken, never really thought about snacking on a chicken leg.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use edemame (soybeans) for a high protein boost and no fat cheese sticks.
  • sessalee
    sessalee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What about almonds/cashews/other nuts? High protein, low carb. Don't worry about the fat content, it's healthy fat, and you can't cut fat and carbs out of your diet and expect to eat enough during the day.
  • sessalee
    sessalee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What about almonds/cashews/other nuts? High protein, low carb. Don't worry about the fat content, it's healthy fat, and you can't cut fat and carbs out of your diet and expect to eat enough during the day.

Whoops, nevermind. I misread your first post! :) So sorry!

Eat cheese, and then be my friend and brag about it so I can be jealous.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    no fat cheese sticks
    Yuk :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    no fat cheese sticks
    FAIL - she's trying to get her calories up !!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    cheese is one of my favorite things on the planet, so no problem eating more of that. I have pre-logged, just under 1100 calories for the day, still have to do my workout. But I guess I will have a few pieces of cheese to get that extra
  • AaronG91
    AaronG91 Posts: 20
    Options
    Perhaps you could try eating more often if you struggle to eat a lot in one sitting? Also perhaps you could try eating more eggs such as in a cheese omelette or scrambled egg, good for any meal and can be high calories as well as nutrients if you use 3+ eggs and real butter and cheese.