Bell Peppers <3

Options
I tried my first bell pepper a few days ago and I fell in love!! They don't have much of a taste but I've found out that they're one of the lowest calorie vegetables out there, so I've been mixing and matching some of them with other amazing things :)

One thing my fiance does is dice up one bell pepper and slice up a medium sized potato. fry up the potatoes on the stove top and after a few minutes you can add the bell peppers. It's a great combination and you can add whichever spices you like to it! It's also vegetarian and vegan approved lol.

For a snack I cut up 1/4 of a piece off a bell pepper, cut that in half then add some artichoke and spinach hummus on it. I use the brand "Eating Right" from Safeway, it's only 18 calories per tablespoon and depending on how much you want, the whole snack will be around 40.

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    No taste? Are you trying red, orange, yellow, ones? Sweeter than green which are a little bitter.

You might like this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/08/chicken-and-white-bean-stuffed-peppers.html - we make this, except using yellow/red peppers.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Bell peppers are awesome. I usually have them in eggs, potatoes, sautees, blackbean burgers, etc etc.

If you like hummus why not try a homemade roasted red bell pepper hummus?

If you have a gas range, roast the bell pepper on the stove top until it's covered in black (easily rubs off)

Then use that with your garbanzos, lime, tahini etc in a food processor. Tastes so much better than store bought hummus
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    anyone have a simple and easy stuffed peppers recipe.
    I have like 4 peppers at home that need to be eaten now! before they go bad
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yummy,,, i love all colours,,
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    No taste? Are you trying red, orange, yellow, ones? Sweeter than green which are a little bitter.

You might like this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/08/chicken-and-white-bean-stuffed-peppers.html - we make this, except using yellow/red peppers.

Yellow is my favorite!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat red peppers all they time. They are excellent roasted on the grill until black and mushy and then put on top of a turkey burger instead of other high sodium/sugar condiments.
  • terminalman
    terminalman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might try the recipe on allrecipes.com called "Quick and Easy Stuffed Peppers".
    The ingredients are low fat and nutritious, in fact it uses mozzarella and beans rather
    than meat. Link is: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-and-easy-stuffed-peppers/

I made this one and thought it was very tasty, but the second time I cooked it in
    the regular oven (350 for 30mins), which gave a tasty browning effect - even better.
    Omit the plastic wrap in the regular oven of course. :wink:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    all the colors are pretty awesome I also love the sweet peppers(they look like red,yellow and orange jalapenos)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    simply love them...

I seriously eat 1 to 1.5 cup of raw bell peppers everyday.

I prefer in this order : Yellow, orange, red and green
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    love them!

stir fry
    on pizza
    raw dipped in hummus
    stuffed peppers
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers are awesome. I usually have them in eggs, potatoes, sautees, blackbean burgers, etc etc.

If you like hummus why not try a homemade roasted red bell pepper hummus?

If you have a gas range, roast the bell pepper on the stove top until it's covered in black (easily rubs off)

Then use that with your garbanzos, lime, tahini etc in a food processor. Tastes so much better than store bought hummus

Thank You now I can make Red pepper hummus home made and avoid processed food. :flowerforyou:
    Cabbage is another very low carb and calorie vegetable. I love both of them.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I grew up on green peppers. They were just always there, like carrot sticks or celery sticks. Now, I love all of them. Especially, right now, I'm on a yellow pepper kick. They're wonderful to use a scoops with hummus. Or as a 'bowl' for tuna salad. Or just plain, sliced up, and on a plate for nibbling hand-to-mouth, as I waste time on facebook. Whenever I order pizza, it's green pepper, tomato slices, and red onion..that's a perfect pizza to me.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Pizza,
    Salads,
    Sandwiches ( roasted)
    Chilli,
    Curry, hotpot, soup................

Roasted, chopped really fine, then spread onto rolled out bread dough ( with herbs&/ olives/ cheese,) roll back up, let proove and bake,

We go through a bag a week, they r so versatile.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I particularly like the red ones but orange and yellow are also great. We put them in salads, in omelets, soups, fish tacos, steak pizzaiola, raw as snacks, etc. I eat them almost every day.