Coconut Oil good for weightloss?

Options

Replies

• garbor16
    garbor16 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it about a week or so ago. I cannot handle it right out of the jar, and I'm a coconut fan. But, I do enjoy it in oatmeal and in a scrambled egg. I haven't seen any results on the scale because of it,but I thought maybe I should increase up to 3x a day. Sure is a lot of calories though.

I have been using it also after a shower and in my hair. I noticed my shouders had a really nice glow while wearing a tank top!

What I read was you need fat to lose fat. So, I also have been adding olive oil to my salads too. Time wil tell!
  • bjbex
    bjbex Posts: 24
    Options
    Do you eat it or put on your body? Sorry if that's a silly question xxx
  • Hawkins8782
    Options
    My proffessor just finished giving me a lecture about how bad coconut oil is. According to him, its high in saturated fat.

It is Saturated because it is solid at room temperature; however, it melts at like 78 degrees so there's really no way it can solidify within your body.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being good for weightloss, but I make a hair mask with it.

Interesting!! does it help your hair? My hair is breaking like crazy!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Do you eat it or put on your body? Sorry if that's a silly question xxx

Drink it.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Never heard anything about it for weight loss, but I've heard it's awesome to use in your hair.
  • MargotAllen
    Options
    My cat likes to eat coconut oil. He takes it out of the jar with his paw, and eats it. (I don't use that jar of coconut oil anymore) :laugh:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil actually does none of these things you've listed (remove toxins, increase metabolism, boost fat loss)

That said, I know a lot of people who use it for their skin/hair, and as a healthy source of fat.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great. It is one of the few oils that does not turn to transfat when heated to a high heat.
    Uh... I'm sorry, i don't mean to be rude, but do you have any idea what "transfat" is? You might want to take a refsher course in chemistry before continuing to spread nonsensical rumors like that.

It's true that coconut oil is extremely high in saturated fat. I really don't understand how people can say it's "good" saturated fat because there really isn't scientific difference.

I use coconut oil for all kinds of topical body care. It's wonderful for that, but I don't eat it.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Low fat diets don't work.

I'm sorry, but that is simply not true.

Eh, prove it.

I've lost 77 pounds on a low-fat diet. Proof enough for me.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow interesting! I love coconut oil, I have a organic brand here at home. I havent used it very much though, I have heard great studies about it though and how its one of the best out there!:) Seems to have alot of health benefits. Thanks for the share! :flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    too much coconut oil makes you crabby :noway:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

They probably need to go on that low-crab diet people are talking about.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

They probably need to go on that low-crab diet people are talking about.

LOLOLOL:laugh: you made my day
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff. Has a melting point of about 76 degrees so on a warm day it will turn to a liquid in the jar on your counter but solidify back up when the temp drops. Also high calories per tablespoon so watch how much you use. It is good stuff but sure not the elixir as some have asked about.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Has a melting point of about 76 degrees

Apparently this applies to those who consume it as well.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great. It is one of the few oils that does not turn to transfat when heated to a high heat.
    Uh... I'm sorry, i don't mean to be rude, but do you have any idea what "transfat" is? You might want to take a refsher course in chemistry before continuing to spread nonsensical rumors like that.

It's true that coconut oil is extremely high in saturated fat. I really don't understand how people can say it's "good" saturated fat because there really isn't scientific difference.

I use coconut oil for all kinds of topical body care. It's wonderful for that, but I don't eat it.

Actually there is SIGNIFICANT scientific research that it is indeed a good fat. It is a saturated plant based fat, so it isnt the same as say saturated animal fat. That isnt to say that you should go an eat a whole jar, but you can use it as an oil alternative. . . No, it isnt a magical weight loss tool, it simply tastes good, cooks at higher heat then olive oil and you can use it for more than just eating, which is why so many people rave about it.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I think it's the lauric acid that makes it beneficial to your immune system.
    It's a medium chain triglyceride, so that it supposedly supposed to make a difference in your body.

Supposed to be a better alternative to other butters and oils, but if you add it everything you already eat... then yeah - you will gain.

There have been some studies that show that it's beneficial in treating dementia and Alzheimers.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love coconut oil, and i agree, it's awesome in coffee!

it makes my hair soft and shiny as well.
  • FatFreeKandee
    Options
    I have done some research on coconut oil and I've seen that many people use it for weightloss, detoxing, stress, skin or hair care, diabetes, Alzheimers, and more.....they suggest you get VIRGIN ORGANIC UNREFINED coconut oil for these uses....It is a good fat for your body and actually helps your brain function better as well. I honestly believe that DRs try to tell us a lot of things to get us away from natural cures...they want us to rely on medication because thats THEIR paycheck. Just like Alkaline Diets help with cancer and other health problems. The best way to lose and be healthy is to eat foods that are as close to natural as possible. (normally staying on the outside rim of the grocery store (where all the meats and veggies are kept) is the best option...when u start venturing into the middle isles thats where you find the fake food that your body cannot use and half of the time cant break down. We were not built to consume or digest all this fake food thats loaded with fillers and chemicals. Coconut oil is no more processed than olive oil, or water for that matter. Even water is chemically altered and processed these days. But everyone is able to make their own choices I just suggest doing research of your own. Have a great day everyone :)