Bob Harper's Skinny Rules

Options
HI! Just wondering about the BH Skinny Rule's Book. I don't have it yet and am thinking of getting it. I wanted input from those of you that have if as to if you found it helpful. I have been on here for about 60 days now and am fairly good about my diet. I know that this isn't a "diet" plan and this is a way to modify your life. I was just wondering if you all found his advice helpful enough to buy the book or if it was just basic stuff that I probably have already figured out and don't need to waste 20 bucks on. Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I used to like Bob, but he seems to have strayed into Dr. Oz territory with his "No carbs after lunch" rule. I do know a lot of people here have read the book and really like it, but it's not for me.
  • sunflare74
    sunflare74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have it - Its great so far. It has the rules, but it also has a menu plan. The food recommendations are male and female. So I get ideas for myself, and the hubby. I dont think the 12 dollars is a waste of money in anyway.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    check the library so you don't waste money on it!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper stole my look. that is all.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm basically a Bob junkie, but when I got the book I didn't realize that he's no longer a vegan, so a lot of the recipes in the book include meat (I'm a vegan so obviously I was disappointed).

Here are all the rules (I'm really boiling them down, so if you're curious about any of these I would recommend buying the book, because it is an encouraging read:

1) Drink one large glass of water before every meal - no excuses!
    2) Don't drink your calories (basically, avoid lattes and sodas and juices because they pack a lot of calories)
    3) Eat protein at every meal (to keep you full)
    4) Slash intake of refined flour and replace it with whole grains
    5) Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day to keep your digestive system moving
    6) Eat apples and berries every single day (for the nutrients and fiber)
    7) No carbs after lunch (because carbs are primarily for energy, so if you eat them for dinner and don't workout after dinner, they could compel your body to store fat).
    8) Learn to read food labels (this section was actually pretty educational)
    9) Stop guessing portion sizes (basically, read the portion sizes before you consume a whole bag of chips and find out it was 10 portions)
    10) No more added sweeteners (because it wets your palate for sweet-tasting foods. I've actually adhered by this rule and it has really helped to curb my cravings).
    11) Make one day a week meatless
    12) No white potatoes
    13) No fast food or fried food
    14) Eat a real breakfast (to jump start your metabolism)
    15) Eat at least 10 meals a week at home (basically, cook more)
    16) Banish high-salt foods
    17) Eat your vegetables!
    18) Go to bed hungry (stop eating about 3 hours before you go to bed, that way two hours into sleep your body will start burning fat stores)
    19) Make sure you sleep enough and that your sleep is quality, because it will really help you lose weight and give you energy for exercise.
    20) Plan one splurge meal a week where you can eat whatever you want and as much as you want, but only one meal.

Hope that helped!
  • cgernhard
    cgernhard Posts: 11
    Options
    I read it. Most of his rules are pretty good, but I personally hate the "no carbs after lunch" (or 3pm? I can't remember) rule, too. If I remember correctly, one of his biggest arguments against carbs after lunch had to do with how your body metabolizes carbohydrates while you're sleeping and how it negatively affects the quality of your sleep, which in turn negatively affects your hunger and metabolism the next day, or some such thing. I tried not eating carbs with dinner for a week or so and was just hungry and irritable. I've been losing quite a bit despite eating carbs with dinner, and my sleep has been perfectly fine.
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    A good buy!
    I usually don't recommend diet books, but after previewing "the skinny rules" on amazon it actually looked really straightforward and helpful. I was already doing about half of the rules before reading the book and since these rules had worked for me so far, i figured adding a couple more would be good. It actually helped me get out of the plateau I've been on for a few months. I definitely recommend it, it's a good read and the advise is very practical and straightforward. Plus, tons of great recipes. Only complaint: I'm vegetarian, and while there were a lot of vegetarian meal ideas I wish there had been more vegetarian options for the 2 week meal plan. Otherwise, a good book, worth the buy!
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    Bob Harper stole my look. that is all.

LOL!
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Does the no carb after lunch apply to fruits and veggies? They are carbs. Can't imagine that.
  • ocliao
    ocliao Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    They sound like sensible rules overall. I have it on hold at the library but it's rather popular right now. As I get deeper into lifestyle change, I intend to focus on fine-tuning my diet and habits. Right now, my focus is solely on calorie in-calorie out, and I'm losing weight. For one, I know I eat too much in the evenings. When I'm less skittish about falling off the wagon, I'll front load my days. But for now, I like to save them up so I have plenty left over for the evenings.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

9) Stop guessing portion sizes (basically, read the portion sizes before you consume a whole bag of chips and find out it was 10 portions)

17) Eat your vegetables!

19) Make sure you sleep enough and that your sleep is quality, because it will really help you lose weight and give you energy for exercise.

These are the only ones that aren't complete nonsense.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Although I don't follow all the rules I loved the book. I bought it on Amazon for almost half the price than at stores. I think Bob is real and I enjoy the recipes and meal plans.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Does the no carb after lunch apply to fruits and veggies? They are carbs. Can't imagine that.

No, doesn't apply to those. I think he's referring more towards the carbs that come from grains (processed and unprocessed). Also, there are a few veggies/fruits that he recommends limited quantities with (and eating before 2pm). One example - half a cup of sweet potatoes okay before 2pm.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just finished it last night. (Reading it) I'm making my shopping list today and going to try his 4 week meal plan starting tomorrow. Maybe it will help me lose those last few stubborn lbs! Maybe not, but eating only healthy foods for a month certainly isn't going to hurt me.
    Plus, I liked that his recipes for the most part have "normal" food in them. I read through the menu and I think these food options are ones I can live with... except the tuna. Yuck!
  • Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options
    I was watching the first season of the biggest loser on Hulu- He was a really nice guy compared to what he's become. The "limelight" really changed him. I can't say that I dislike him, I actually do like Bob Harper...as a person...because that first season he seemed so real- Even JM wasn't all in your face...
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. actually a lot of us already know these "rules"... actually they are not rules but things that everyone should really do to be healthy overall! i know it's hard.. i'm still working on it.. i've done pretty good on some but some are really hard! like going to bed hungry lol! i think diet books are unecessary as there are plenty of resources on the internet (trustful resources and use your common sense!) that you can read.. this is what i do when i have free time. they are very helpful. and lots of good recipes online that are healthy and yummy.. :)
    I'm basically a Bob junkie, but when I got the book I didn't realize that he's no longer a vegan, so a lot of the recipes in the book include meat (I'm a vegan so obviously I was disappointed).

Here are all the rules (I'm really boiling them down, so if you're curious about any of these I would recommend buying the book, because it is an encouraging read:

1) Drink one large glass of water before every meal - no excuses!
    2) Don't drink your calories (basically, avoid lattes and sodas and juices because they pack a lot of calories)
    3) Eat protein at every meal (to keep you full)
    4) Slash intake of refined flour and replace it with whole grains
    6) Eat apples and berries every single day (for the nutrients and fiber)
    7) No carbs after lunch (because carbs are primarily for energy, so if you eat them for dinner and don't workout after dinner, they could compel your body to store fat).
    10) No more added sweeteners (because it wets your palate for sweet-tasting foods. I've actually adhered by this rule and it has really helped to curb my cravings).
    11) Make one day a week meatless
    12) No white potatoes
    13) No fast food or fried food
    14) Eat a real breakfast (to jump start your metabolism)
    15) Eat at least 10 meals a week at home (basically, cook more)
    16) Banish high-salt foods
    17) Eat your vegetables!
    18) Go to bed hungry (stop eating about 3 hours before you go to bed, that way two hours into sleep your body will start burning fat stores)
    20) Plan one splurge meal a week where you can eat whatever you want and as much as you want, but only one meal.

Hope that helped!