Mastiff Dog

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
Does anyone have a mastiff? I have a mastiff shepard mix who is a year and a half. I also have another dog and the mastiff dog has always been in a crate when we arent home. He has chewed some trim by his crate. We started leaving him out of his crate but he was has chewed a couple chair cushions, wooden chair frame and now the pool table! He onlyh chews a little bit of those items. We built him a bigger wooden crate on the wknd. He was in it yesterday for an hr and a half and cewed a bit. Today was in it fo an hr and a half and chewed a lot more and even started chewing the end if his tail.

Does anyone have any advice or have been through this situation?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    How many walks a day are you taking him on? He's basically an adolescent who has nothing to do all day. My personal feeling is a young, working type dog, like a Mastiff/Shepherd needs to be walked or run twice daily for a minimum of an hour each. If you can't provide that, get a dog walker.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    we got our dog a large bone, but she grew out of the chewing phase. ours is an American bulldog. try chew toys and more walks and playtime if you can and it'll end sooner or later
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's bored.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Its so hard. The dogs are left alone for 9 hours a day but nothing we can do about that since we are gone to work. Just dont know what to do.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A mastiff can deal with and appreciate some very tough chew toys. Look for a giant-size Kong and line the inside with a reward paste or something.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Mix dog food, peanut butter and water and let sit until paste like substance.

Fill kong or any hollow but sturdy chew toy with paste.

Freeze overnight.

Give him in morning. That should keep him busy for a while.

Also invest in some type of bitter spray. You can spray this on anything you don't want him to chew.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    How many walks a day are you taking him on? He's basically an adolescent who has nothing to do all day. My personal feeling is a young, working type dog, like a Mastiff/Shepherd needs to be walked or run twice daily for a minimum of an hour each. If you can't provide that, get a dog walker.
    Absolutely this
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    do you have a yard ? sounds like he's bored to death.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    He's bored out of his mind. I'd look into hiring a dog walker or putting him in a doggy day care here and there.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff). Although he still steals stuff sometimes, and still chews up a few things outside, his indoor chewing has seemed to stop with age. I think it was more of a puppy behavior with him. Which is good because he chewed our leather sofa, a wooden chair leg, some baseboard corners, and a myriad of clothing and household items. Most recently he has been interested in pulling out various parts of my newly-installed drip irrigation system in the back yard which has really pissed me off a few times.
  • erobinson90
    Options
    I have a Cane Corso English Mastiff who is 15 months and I find that she is still teething.. So that could be part of his/her problem..
    We make sure that whenever she is left alone that she give her a bone that she only gets when she is alone. As well as make sure that you go on lots of walks.. I know a Mastiff isn't a dog that can go for very very long walks/runs at a time, but I make sure that I take mine on lots of shorter walks. But a Shepard needs lots of exercise so a happy medium,
    Best of luck, I know its not always easy.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi! I have a pure bred English Mastiff. When he was a puppy, he used to have severe seperation anxiety, and actually the one day I came home at lunch time from work, he had eaten half of our laminate floor in our kitchen...literally the whole floor. We started penning him up with our chocolate lab in a metal pen, and he's seemed to calm down now that he is 2. I've actually started letting him out again while I'm away and he seems to have gotten over his seperation anxiety. How old is your mastiff? My guess is it's either boredom or anxiety from being alone. I know my Mastiff is attached at my hip 24/7. When I leave the house, my hubby says he doesn't leave the front door waiting for me to get home.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's parents have always had two mastiffs and one of them just finds peanut butter jars in the trash and chews them up all day.

They are HUGE, goofy dogs. Does he have another dog to play with?
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had a mastiff and they are great dogs, but they can literally eat a couch. We had one that grew out of this stage. How old is the dog? Also, does he have any toys that he is allowed to chew on? I would suggest a very very large bone, the you can get at a pet store or butcher shop.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    He needs exercise... very badly (we had a mastiff/pit bull mix). Have you heard of Cesar Millan? Exercise, discipline, affection - in that order.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    Its so hard. The dogs are left alone for 9 hours a day but nothing we can do about that since we are gone to work. Just dont know what to do.

GET A DOG WALKER! Sorry, but I manage vet's office and I tell this to people all the time. You would be bored too if you sat in a cage for 9 hours straight. Can you come home during lunch to walk them? If not, hire a dog walker or put them in doggie daycare, they are everywhere these days. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to have 2 dogs. If you couldn't afford car insurance, would you have a car?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    When my lab was young I had to take her to the river to run and swim three times a week or she would destroy the house. I'm so glad I lived out in the country where I could let her run free.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no advice...but I saw a mastiff in the back of an 86' Honda Prelude today and I couldn't stop giggling! LOL Well passenger seat was flipped up and his head had to stick out the window....funny stuff!!!

And and I agree with the above, more exercise :)
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions are great! I have a lab (another working bread) and she gets a two mile jog everyday. She also gets left alone for long periods of time because I am in nursing school 3 days a week for 8-10 hours a day. Labs also tend to be chewers and her kennel is actually pulled away from the wall a few inches. Anytime I'm not home she is in her kennel.

One suggestion is to get rid of the wood kennel as your pup can easily chew through it. Spend the money on a nice, sturdy wire kennel. They have them at most pet stores and I know they come in sizes large enough for a large bread dog.

Best of luck to you!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options

GET A DOG WALKER! Or don't have a dog. Sorry, but I work at a vet and I tell this to people all the time. You would be bored too if you sat in a cage for 9 hours straight. Hire a dog walker or put them in doggie daycare, they are everywhere these days. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to have 2 dogs. If you couldn't afford car insurance, would you have a car?

What she said!