Popcorn

Options
aki7chien
aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
Popcorn is one of our favorite snacks. Air popped white or yellow popcorn. We used to toss it with real unsalted butter and salt, but now that we're watching our figures, we're trying to find a better way to lower the calories and sodium, but still make it tasty.

We recently got zero calorie butter spray and do have reduced sodium salt (actually the salt tastes the same to me as the regular stuff!) We're dealing with high blood pressure issues over here, and always would like to keep the sodium down.

I know I could easily Google recipes or popcorn toppings, but I'd really like to know what kinds of things people like.

I did do a search on here for just plain air popped popcorn plain as a place to start with the calories, and there were several to choose from and the calories were all over from 15 cal for a cup of popped to 200+ for 3.5 cups popped. Confusing.

Thanks all! ;-)

Replies

• DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    For something different - spray popcorn with no cal butter spray, and sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon. :love:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Try Kernel Seasons popcorn seasoning! It tastes really salty and flavorful, but has less sodium than salt (around 200 mg for 3/4ths a teaspoon - which is about what I need for a big bowl of popcorn)

My favorite are white cheddar and chili-lime!

http://www.kernelseasons.com/index.php
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i am in love with kettle corn from the fair, but love it from trader joes too!
  • Kori18
    Kori18 Posts: 48
    Options
    I like the 100 calorie individual bags. They are whole grain, and they have 203984 different flavors. I'm not crafty to create my own recipes. I loveeee popcorn too.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I mix this up and put it on my popcorn:
    3-4 tsp chili powder
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1Tbsp + 1 tsp lime juice
    3/4 tsp salt
    1-2 tsp cumin
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I top my popcorn with some not-so-healthy, yet totally SNACKTACULAR, choices...

1) Hot kakinotane (chili-pepper seasoned Japanese rice crackers) & furikake (seaweed mix)

2) White chocolate & dark chocolate chips

3) Dried fruit (blueberries, cranberries, etc.) & nuts

4) Cinnamon & sugar

5) Old faithful (salty, yummy butter!!)
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use a Redenbacher microwave popper and when it's done I spritz it with a Misto filled with EVOO and add just a little salt. Great flavor and no added calories.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is one of our favorite snacks. Air popped white or yellow popcorn. We used to toss it with real unsalted butter and salt, but now that we're watching our figures, we're trying to find a better way to lower the calories and sodium, but still make it tasty.

We recently got zero calorie butter spray and do have reduced sodium salt (actually the salt tastes the same to me as the regular stuff!) We're dealing with high blood pressure issues over here, and always would like to keep the sodium down.

I know I could easily Google recipes or popcorn toppings, but I'd really like to know what kinds of things people like.

I did do a search on here for just plain air popped popcorn plain as a place to start with the calories, and there were several to choose from and the calories were all over from 15 cal for a cup of popped to 200+ for 3.5 cups popped. Confusing.

Thanks all! ;-)

I have found major differences in alot of the foods entered. I break mine down according to the package. I could have had a tuna sandwich for supper that was 150 calories, but when I entered all my correct entries, it was 400. I can't lose weight if I assume.

I still use my real butter, but I measure it and don't cheat. My kids love to add pepper!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Spray vinegar.... lil salt.... mmmm
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I usually add salt, cinnamon & stevia to mine and leave off the butter, just pop it in a little olive oil (no air popper yet, thats on the "when I have a kitchen with counterspace" wishlist)
  • aki7chien
    Options
    These are all great ideas that I would never have thought of. Thank you! We thought we might try the spray butter and a little parmesan cheese next time.

I keep my popcorn in a glass container so I don't have the original bag it came it for the nutritional info.

I can't wait to try some of these! Thanks!
  • aki7chien
    Options
    I usually add salt, cinnamon & stevia to mine and leave off the butter, just pop it in a little olive oil (no air popper yet, thats on the "when I have a kitchen with counterspace" wishlist)

We are finding after no longer buying canned vegetables, noodle/rice side dishes and other fattening cupboard items, we have a lot of extra cupboard space! lol!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas that I would never have thought of. Thank you! We thought we might try the spray butter and a little parmesan cheese next time.

I keep my popcorn in a glass container so I don't have the original bag it came it for the nutritional info.

You could cut the nutrition info part and tape it to the bottom or something?
  • aki7chien
    Options

You could cut the nutrition info part and tape it to the bottom or something?

Yah, I do that with rice and flour and stuff that needs to be in tupperware so they don't get the bugs. I never gave it a second thought with the popcorn because we weren't counting calories and sodium a month and a half ago. Great idea BTW :-)
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Crushed red pepper....or tobasco for a spicy popcorn.
  • esselltee1156
    esselltee1156 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    here's a crazy one...but sooo yummy! you could adjust some of the ingredients to be healthier. for a full batch of popped corn, melt a little real butter-only need about a tablespoon-and stir in a teaspoon or so of chicken bullion powder. stir until completely dissolved and pour over the popcorn. then add a couple of tablespoons of brewer's yeast, a pinch of sugar, a pinch of sea salt and a lot of pepper. shake or stir until thoroughly coated. brewer's yeast is good for you, and you could use low sodium bullion, butter flavor spray and eliminate the sugar and salt.
  • aki7chien
    Options
    here's a crazy one...but sooo yummy! you could adjust some of the ingredients to be healthier. for a full batch of popped corn, melt a little real butter-only need about a tablespoon-and stir in a teaspoon or so of chicken bullion powder. stir until completely dissolved and pour over the popcorn. then add a couple of tablespoons of brewer's yeast, a pinch of sugar, a pinch of sea salt and a lot of pepper. shake or stir until thoroughly coated. brewer's yeast is good for you, and you could use low sodium bullion, butter flavor spray and eliminate the sugar and salt.

Sounds like it would be the flavor of the Chicken in a Biscuit crackers! ooooh
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    We use a packet of Knorr Alfredo Sauce mix. 1/3 packet = 60 calories. Unfortunately not low sodium. Be careful the "zero calorie" sprays are a racket because they call for an impossibly short spay -- read the can and beware!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn too! What a great snack!
    I can't find a way for the popcorn seasoning to stick to the popcorn though. :(
    Salt and cayenne pepper is my fave :D
  • aki7chien
    Options
    I love popcorn too! What a great snack!
    I can't find a way for the popcorn seasoning to stick to the popcorn though. :(
    Salt and cayenne pepper is my fave :D

omg love your hammie profile pic!