Success Stories and How I did it!!!!

Options
Hey Friends.....I am really struggling! Do I count carbs, do I count calories, do I add up points, do I eat my work out calories?........what do I do? I would LOVE to hear your success stories along with HOW you reached your goal weight or just success along the way!!!!!! I am 54 years old and have "dieted" my whole life. You would think I would know how to lose. But the older I get, the harder it gets. Please help!!!:drinker:

Replies

• Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    I would love to hear about the hows too :D
  • mountain59
    mountain59 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and the same..... I have no answers but can't wait to see the answers! Good questions.
  • mountain59
    mountain59 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LOL we're both waiting......
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am not nearly there, but I found that having 1200 calories is working for me not to eat my exercise calories back as really......do I work that hard to eat back 200 - 300 for some exercises listed and it just did not work for me at all. It is still a struggle, I have to be ver very diligent, basically I make sure I eat two protein, two servings of bread, two fruit, one dairy and one free item about 100 to 150 calories, tons of water, no sugar, salt, very plain back to basic eating, veggies, 2 fat a day......it is very plain but you know what, I was having horrible problems with heartburn.....that is gone, I feel very good....and exercise, zumba, walking, weights (only 20 minutes) but try to do 2 things a day..........good luck! ....and by the way....I have tried it all, finally it clicked I was just eating too much!!!
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sorry,,,,,,I am 52
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i eat 20 grams of carbs a day, from mainly veggies.
    i make sure to drink lots of water, and i started doing 30 mins of yoga a day. will do more once i limber up.
    my weight loss is about 2 pounds a week.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    What I decided this time around (I have yo-yo'd over the years, big problems started when I had twins in 2005)was that if I was going to stick to this it had to be a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet. So with that said, I eat what I want if it fits in my calorie range. I mainly eat around 1300 cals, so to feel full at the end of the day I have to make smart choices. I have been at this 14 months so it has become easier. That being said, I have a cheat day a week (not a gorge day, but I let myself eat out or have a latte or ice cream, etc.) Because I do that, I don't eat back my exercise calories. Honestly sometimes I have 2 cheat days eek! I find it so much easier to get thru the week knowing Friday is coming and I can have Opa for lunch! Also, if we have a birthday party I will have cake, it's all about moderation. I don't let an indulgence ruin the rest of my day or week.

This process has been long... some weeks I gain, some I maintain, some I lose, it all adds up so keep plugging away.

So what I say is, do what you know you will stick too - if you want a granola bar, have one, just stick in your calores...
    ETA: I am huge on water intake - I get 8-9 no exceptions

Good luck
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I still have a ways to go, but MFP seems to be working so far! MFP gives me 2250 cals, I usually try and stay about 500 under and then I haven't been eating back my workout calories (unless I'm really hungry and want that something extra). As for exercise I try and walk at least 30 minutes a day and then will supplement with gym time or workout videos if I feel up to it. So far have been averaging 10 lbs /month. And I do occasionally take off days, but usually still get the walking in.
  • Jill1249
    Jill1249 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you for your input and congratulations on your success!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I also wanna say I don't believe in being hungry... if at the end of the day I have hunger pains I eat a piece of fruit. At the end of the week an apple won't make a difference.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I also keep my mini goals in view so I can stay on trck. Mini goals and NSV's rock!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Short version: Eat at an appropriate calorie deficit for the amount of weight you need to lose, get adequate protein and fat, keep hydrated, and exercise regularly, best if that includes strength training.

For the LONG versions...

How I Did It (Dec. 2010 - Aug. 2011)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/how-i-did-it-timeline-with-photos-133754

How I Did It Part 2 (Aug. 2011- Mar. 2012)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/how-i-did-it-2-electric-boogaloo-226007
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    PORTION CONTROL!
    That was the big A-HA moment for me with food.
    I'm a very picky eater, dislike most fruits and veggies.
    But I've learned to only eat ONE portion of foods (ie. used to eat a full box of mac/cheese for dinner...that was 3 servings).

For exercise, I've found I'm better with a program to follow instead of making it up myself.
    Also having people do the same program with you (same time frame, not necessarily beside you) helps A LOT!

I hadn't realized how much weight I had gained in the last five years...just knew I couldn't get down below 250.
    6 months of watching my portions and 5 weeks into the Couch 2 5K program...I am 22 lbs less and FINALLY BELOW 250!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!