Tracking exercise

Options
Just wondering if people track ALL exercise during the day, or just the big ones? For example, my office is two floors above another office where I have to go a few times a day, and I usually take the stairs. Would you record this as exercise? I usually just record the big walk or run I take after supper.

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i track anything that i wouldnt normally do. i've seen people track work if theyre in retail and i just consider that part of my daily calories burned anyway and only track proper workouts/cardio/yoga whatever i do that wasn't part of my normal day to day routine.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i only record my actual exercise, stuff like walking on campus/stairs, i exclude.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That's where my Fitbit comes in handy, get one! Tracks all that and syncs to MFP and adjusts automatically.......Then I log my own workouts I do.......
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I track none. But I have found my maintenance level of calories for my workout split and i just manually adjust for extra activity. I can say that i am very in tune with my body and how it responds to exercise.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I personally only log the big workouts.

Stuff like carrying infant, cleaning... nah..
    You were doing that before and it made no difference in your weight, why count it now.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It depends on where your general activity level is set. If what you're doing is part of what you already considered in your activity level, don't "double count". If it's more, then count it.
  • jenafey
    jenafey Posts: 10
    Options
    I log things that are either workouts or out of the norm like walking to the grocery store. Sometimes I feel like laundry day should count when I'm running up and down 2 flights of stairs to do each load though.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I only track my actual workouts or extras. My walk to work everyday (about 15-20 minutes each way, 45 minutes total per day), I do not track as it is part of my normal routine.

My train of thought is:
    1. Calories burned must be above 150.
    2. Duration must be more than 20 minutes.
    3. Average heart rate must be 60%+
    4. The activity can not be a daily routine item.
    5. DO NOT track cleaning (unless it is a massive deep clean involving moving furniture, scrubbing on hands and knees, etc.)