Not hungry

Options
I am rarely hungry. I don't understand it. I exercise a lot which should increase my appetite a bit- long runs used to do that. However, now I could go all day without getting hungry. I'm also not losing any weight and eating 1200-1450 calories. Does this mean my metabolism is just really slow and that is why I'm not hungry?
Any other reasons (not psychological) that could cause that? It has been going on for a while. I'll have a "hungry" day every now and again, but otherwise no.

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Probably because you haven't been eating enough and your metabolism has slowed.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows TONS of protein. That's probably why. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Ummmm protien is good and not the reason she's not losing. She probably just needs to change things up, eat something different higher calories one day lower the next just to mix it up. Eat different foods. I mean really change it up. I eat tons of protien and lost 8 lbs in 8 days. It's not always that good but I lose about 15 lbs a month eating high protien
  • brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by really change it up? Change my calorie level or change the actual foods I eat? Why would this help me lose? I'm willing to try it!
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ummmm protien is good and not the reason she's not losing. She probably just needs to change things up, eat something different higher calories one day lower the next just to mix it up. Eat different foods. I mean really change it up. I eat tons of protien and lost 8 lbs in 8 days. It's not always that good but I lose about 15 lbs a month eating high protien

I think Rebellious meant the OP wasn't hungry because of the protein, not that that is why she isn't losing.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Tons of protein is a good thought . . . Alternatively . . .

Maybe you still have a lot to lose? I had chunked on 9 lbs over the last few months over what had been my stable weight range for the last 10 or so years. I dropped that easily in 7 weeks and wasn't hungry at all.

Now I'm in my normal weight range and want to lose another 15 lbs. Same calories, but suddenly I'm starving.

With the whole 'setpoint' theory, your body has a weight range it wants to keep you in. When you're over it you're not hungry and lose/use calories easily. When you're under it you hold onto every calorie like a miser and are always hungry. One of the reasons it's hard to keep weight off is that it takes over a year (and exercise) to reset your body to a new, lower, normal weight.

If you're not hungry, I'd go with that and get to the weight you want to be at.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The less you eat the more your stomach shrinks, which gives you the sensation of not being hungry. But then your metabolism kicks into hardcore overdrive starvation mode and your body works twice as hard to KEEP WEIGHT ON.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if i'm hungry, i eat.
    if i'm not, i don't.

i drink water regardless.
  • brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm in a normal weight range for my height. Just much higher than I want to be and higher than I typically am. I agree that appetite usually increases/decreases according to set point- to a degree.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Stress and anxiety cause me to lose my appetite.

I've also noticed that when I'm on the go I don't get hungry. I used to waitress and on days that I worked doubles I wouldn't eat at all, it just wouldn't occur to me, I didn't get hungry. I mean, I'd work a twelve hour day and all I would have eaten the entire time was 4 pickle chips. It happens, I'd make up for it the next day.

When I'm exercising I don't get as hungry, when I'm eating really "clean" I get full faster and I'm not hungry throughout the day; it happens.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    there has never been a time when I wasn't hungry so I have no clue what could be the problem,
  • sessalee
    sessalee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in a normal weight range for my height. Just much higher than I want to be and higher than I typically am. I agree that appetite usually increases/decreases according to set point- to a degree.

It's possible that your body is happy where it is now. Try calorie cycling (eating more/less than your range a few days a week but averaging out to be the same) and maybe try a new form of exercise or just change up your routine. If you keep the body guessing, it won't get stuck in a weight rut as easily.
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by really change it up? Change my calorie level or change the actual foods I eat? Why would this help me lose? I'm willing to try it!

I've heard that you should change up the foods that you eat. If you're always eating chicken, eat fish or lean hamburger some days. Try foods you have never ate or ones you rarely eat. I've noticed that it does work to help w/ weight loss. I think it has something to do w/ how your body responds differently to the new food...not 100% sure on the why it works I just know that it does. :happy:
    Another thing you could try is changing up your exercise. Variety is the key. Make sure you are getting in some strength training, and cardio...and a variety of these are good too. I like to do one of my Jillian dvds one day, then the elliptical the next, then some lifting weights another day. Doing the same workout all week isn't a good idea b/c your body gets too used to it and you will burn fewer calories. Hope I was of some help!
  • tmauck4472
    Options

I was stalling out and I cut calories. I'm back to losing again. But yeah lower the calories one day and raise them the next. This is what I'm going to do next time I stall out. I'm going to go higher up on my intake soon and if I stall again I'm to do this. I thought I was eating way more protien than I am. hahaha oh well. When I started this life change I changed everything including what I ate. I cut out the bad carbs, I don't drink pop anymore( well I have a diet coke in the mornings, that's my coffee). I eat no processed sugar or at least very very little. I don't eat processed foods except for Ham(I consider it a processed food). I eat nothing that comes out of a box. Everything is fresh. I eat very little out of can.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    The less you eat the more your stomach shrinks, which gives you the sensation of not being hungry. But then your metabolism kicks into hardcore overdrive starvation mode and your body works twice as hard to KEEP WEIGHT ON.

Uggggg in my opinion Starvation mode is a myth made up to scare people into eating more or eating the way they want someone else to eat. Doctors put people on 500 calorie diets everyday for months on end and they don't go into starvation mode because there is no such thing. Matter of fact I know someone who just got off her diet of that many calories for 9 months and she def. did NOT gain any weight from this ficticious starvation mode, but she did gain once she increased her calorie level.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I personally went through this. I suffered with not being able to lose weight and not being hungry despite eating on 1100 calories... I had to increase my intake slowly and suffer with weight gain, until i was eating a maintenance amount of calories reguarly and NOT gaining weight anymore.... Then I was able to work out reguarly and cut my calories to a healthy amount and lose weight again.... If you have been eating like that for a long period of time, its possible that your body has gone into what is called starvation mode and you're simply not losing weight any longer because of not eating sufficient calories for a long period of time.