ARM WORKOUTS!

ZiezieO
ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
I plan on getting a shoulder sleeve tattoo for myself, but I want to have sexier arms... Any suggestions for arm/trapeze/bicep exercises/videos?
I don't own any bench equipment, so at home remedies are the best for me!

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Some ideas:

Shoulder Press
    Side Raise
    Hammer Curls
    Reg. Bicep Curls
    V Raise
    Tricep Extension
    Push ups
    Tricep Triangle Push ups
    Chair dips

According to Tony Horton, 8-10 reps for size, 12-15 reps for lean. Make sure the last 3reps are difficult to do without compromising form. If they are easy, get heavier weights.

Good Luck!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    your traps are your back, not your arms.

as far as biceps and triceps work, you should still just stick to good compound movements.
    bench press, pullups, rows, etc
    then you can do curls, pushdowns, skull crushers

and don't listen to anything Tony Horton says.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

as far as biceps and triceps work, you should still just stick to good compound movements.

You probably mean your deltoid. It's actually a shoulder muscle but the lateral portion of the deltoid makes it appear to be an "arm" muscle.

If you're limited to being at home with only DB's or KB's then you can try doing something like...

Tripleset:
    a1. Front raises 4sets of 10
    a2. Lateral raises 4sets of 10
    a3. Shoulder Press 4 sets of 10 (normally I would say 3-5 reps but I'm guessing you don't have the equipment to really push that rep range which is why I set it up this way)
    Individuals
    b1: Read Deltoid raises: 4 sets of 15-20 reps
    c1: Chin-Ups (palms facing you): Getting a chin-up bar is a must for a home gym. Try and get 50 reps a week, split it up how you choose.
    d1: Bicep Curls 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps: You can vary days between a standard DB curl and hammer grip curls
    Superset:
    e1: Tricep Extension variation (no kickbacks, ever): 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    e2: Close Grip Push-ups: Reps to failure

I guess I should've asked you what you exactly have as far as equipment goes first, so the above is only an assumption that you only have DB's or KB's and no bar and stuff.

^this

and LOL :laugh:
  • I strongly recommend the two Jackie Warner workout videos I own, especially Jackie Warner 30 Day Fast Start. There is an upper body and lower body workout on the DVD and the upper body is far superior to the lower body. What she does here is what she calls "pyramids." Each pyramid combines two moves (e.g. one combines a pushup and hammer curl). You keep switching from one to the other while increasing reps of each from one to ten. For instance, this pyramid would be: one pushup, one hammer curl, two pushups, two hammer curls, three pushups, etc. Doing the second move gives you a tiny rest from the first move while keeping you moving, so it's time efficient and keeps your heart rate up. Plus, since the reps go up to 10 and 10 on each pyramid, you end up doing 55 reps of each move! I have progressed to using 10 lb weights on most pyramids, and it's HARD. I have definitely begun to see definition in my body.

Her other video is also very good but the upper body section is only 15 minutes. It combines circuits with 3 moves: you do 1 minute of each and then a "power burn" where you quickly go through all three you just did. I use 10 pound weights on these too and they are also hard.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    I know this is going to sound silly... but get a pair of crutches from like a thrift store... you can probably get them for less than $5, and only use your legs to 'stand between crutch swings' and move/hold yourself up with your arms and walk for as long as you can with these everyday... I'm going to try this to get my arms back in shape because I had freaking incredible arm muscles from the crutches when I broke my leg a few years ago and had to use them.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member

I'm fully aware of where my traps are but they bridge through your neck and along your deltoids, and so I'd say they are a main component in arm building
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

I'm fully aware of where my traps are but they bridge through your neck and along your deltoids, and so I'd say they are a main component in arm building

Not really, your traps are tied-into your deltoids which help add a certain look or musculature to your arms. Your traps really just help with your neck and upper back, definitely not a main component for arm building. Now if you're talking about improving your bench press, squat, or deadlift then yes they become more important. If you're talking mainly arms then not so much.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    I am doing ChaLean Extream and I really like it so far. Great for arms and butt, tummy, pretty much everything.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Push ups
    Bench dips
    chin ups
    shoulder presses
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Lol, she said shoulder sleeve. Those go enough onto your back that you would worry about your trapezius as well. Unless you wanted to look like doody.

And Tony Horton isn't the only one who has a sliding scale of reps for strength, size, and endurance. Dvd prejudice is weird.

Personally, I'd make sure to work on full body everything because nobody wants to have a really nice upper 8th of their body and gangly lower parts.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I love my arms. I feel I got better results by doing compound movements. I do back rows, pull downs, shoulder presses, chest presses, dips and chin ups.
  • VisBella
    VisBella Posts: 21 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workoutdatabase.htm
    Try checking out this website. It's the best I've seen, and it has videos of the different exercises so you learn how to them right.