Any MFP'ers with PCOS?

Options
I wrote a blog, feel free to take a look. Spoiler alert: It's depressing and a little long.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jaimrlx/view/pcos-the-symptoms-and-how-they-are-ruining-my-life-278757

Replies

• iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    i have it too. i have excess body hair, had a round of laser hair removal years ago, will restart when I start working again. I was with a guy i liked and he grabbed my face and looked more closely at my facial hair, I was mortified.

Have you tried accutane for acne?
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh God, I feel your pain - your blog had me misting up a little. It was PCOS that kicked me up the bum to lose weight - I was losing (and am continuing to lose) my hair, and pair that with hair where it shouldn't be an obesity and the thought "you're going to look like a fat, balding man."

I honestly have no words of advice - it seems PCOS is a bit of an untamed beast when it comes to treatments (I'm on Dianette and Metformin; neither of which seem to have made much difference). I use it as a stick to beat myself with, somewhat - I want to be fit and healthy DESPITE of PCOS. So I may be losing my hair and getting body parts waxed that no woman should ever subject herself to, but goddammit I will at least smash PCOS to bits with a kettlebell or similar.

You have my absolute sympathies. PCOS can suck my left one, frankly, and anyone else's who cares to share.
  • Rachbell84
    Rachbell84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have it too. One of my good friends has it too. I once joked with her that we should wrote a book. I said we should call it muffin tops and facial hair, a girls guide to PCOS. I hate this disease. I think insurance should cover laser hair removal.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I once joked with her that we should wrote a book. I said we should call it muffin tops and facial hair, a girls guide to PCOS. I hate this disease.

Oh God, this sounds brilliant. "Muffin Tops, Facial Hair and You Want to Wax WHAT? Your one-step guide for dealing with the ovarian ten rounds with Tyson that is PCOS".
  • Rachbell84
    Options
    LMAO! That's awesome! I try to joke about it now. It consumed too much of my time and emotion over the years. I was told I'd never had kids due to this disease and many suregeries for female related problems. then during a year when i only had 2 periods and was least expecting it, i got pregnant with my son. So, it is possible! the rest of it i take one day at a time and try to make light of it if i can. heck, if nothing else, cheap halloween costume.....bearded lady!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words, everyone. PCOS is such a wild disease.. Also I agree with the book idea! If you can't laugh at yourself... :laugh:
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the frustrating journey!! I've had PCOS for years, without knowing for many of them, and just had the Novasure procedure about 2 months ago. So far I'm starting to lose weight easier, my acne has come back though, so that's pissing me off! I used to have thick hair and it's been thinning for a while, I'm starting to get self conscious about it now. I've only got one ovary left, which is fine with me since I'm done having kids. Just wondering if anyone had their ovaries removed and if it made a difference in a good way or if the HRT was more of an issue than the PCOS.
  • BethanyCo
    BethanyCo Posts: 3
    Options
    "you're going to look like a fat, balding man."

I thought I was the only one that felt like that :smile:
  • little28
    little28 Posts: 9
    Options
    So glad I'm not alone. I'm in the same boat! I'm losing the weight not only to get healthy but in hopes of alleviating my PCOS symptoms. The main struggle right now is complete and utter lack of ovulation or periods. Makes the baby we've been trying to have for 2 years pretty impossible. I feel like with everything I'm doing the weight should be coming off faster but its only been about 5 weeks and I feel great and that's what matters. My doctor just bumped me up to 2000 mg of metformin and I'm hoping that might help as well.
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not alone. I'm in the same boat! I'm losing the weight not only to get healthy but in hopes of alleviating my PCOS symptoms. The main struggle right now is complete and utter lack of ovulation or periods. Makes the baby we've been trying to have for 2 years pretty impossible. I feel like with everything I'm doing the weight should be coming off faster but its only been about 5 weeks and I feel great and that's what matters. My doctor just bumped me up to 2000 mg of metformin and I'm hoping that might help as well.

Has you doctor suggested adding Clomid to your regiman?? After 17 months of trying ... that was finally what it took to become pregnant with my now 2 year old son. I plan on starting fertility again in a couple of months for baby #2!
  • little28
    little28 Posts: 9
    Options

Has you doctor suggested adding Clomid to your regiman?? After 17 months of trying ... that was finally what it took to become pregnant with my now 2 year old son. I plan on starting fertility again in a couple of months for baby #2!

Hi there! We actually tried 5 months of clomid. The first month I ovulated, the second I didn't, 3rd month at 100mg I ovulated again, but then failed to ovulate at 100 the next month and 150 the month after that. My insurance sucks for infertility so I'm trying the metformin and weight loss approach for now because it's free! Haha. I also started vitex a couple months ago and actually got a period on my own for the first time in 2 years. That's great that clomid worked for you!
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have it and am a member of a support group on here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6056-pcos-ladies-support-group
  • Rachbell84
    Options
    Weightloss and Metformin is what helped me get pregnant. Eventhough i wasn't actually trying at that point in time (which i think helped somehow too. lol).