Plateau, Should I switch from Sedentary to Active? Help!

Options
When I signed up for MFP, I said that I wanted to lose 2lbs per week and that I was sedentary. Okay, so I begin my new journey and I'm exercising sometimes 2 to 4 hours per day, but I'm only eating anywhere between 1200 - 1500 calories per day. I probably exercise anywhere between 5 to 6 days per week. Some of my MFP friends were telling me that I was doing it all wrong because I wasn't eating back my calories and that I was doing too much exercise. I didn't like all the criticism because the weight was dropping off of me and why would I eat back calories (sometimes I had well over 2000 calories remaining) when I wasn't even hungry?

Well, it's been nearly three weeks and my weight has completely stopped. Now, I know that I shouldn't just look at the scale, but I should also use measurements. Especially in my case because I have been eating alot more protein and lifting several times per week. My best friend just left town and he said, "omg, you're getting smaller." So, that tells me that obviously there's a change. Over the last couple of days (while my BF was in town) I hadn't exercised as much (maybe 30 min of cardio, light walking) and I stood on the scale, thinking omg I bet I gained weight and to my surprise...I had lost a pound or two...I was so confused because I had been eating more than I felt I should have and yet the scale goes down? I ate an average of 2000 calories while my friend was in town opposed to the 1370 MFP allows me.

So, I've just been feeling confused. Maybe I should start eating those calories back or maybe I should stop exercising so much? I'm not sure, but not exercising doesn't seem like an option because I feel extremely odd if I don't. :/ Another option that I was considering was to switch from sedentary to active. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Darkwolf864
    Darkwolf864 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you eat withing you limit - your body can go into starvation mode which causes a major plateau. Even if i'm not hungry I eat a bit so my body won't slow my metabolism.
    To my knowledge eating back the calories would be adverse.
    You sound like you are doing fantastic with all the exercise, I think you might just need to remind your body that you're eating enough so it doesn't think it needs to store :)
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Either set it to active or start eating back your calories. Over 2000 at the end of the day is a bit much. I would go and do the whole Fat2Fit measurements. It is what I have done and I am slowly but steadily losing. I eat anywhere between 1900 and 2300 calories a day depending on how I am feeling.

Oh and just to add. If you are exercising that much you are so not sedentary.

Jackie
  • anewme_85
    anewme_85 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Drop your processed carbs... cookies, processed cereals, breads, pasta, rice. Replace it with "natural carbs". You'll see a difference. Continue the exercise
  • anewme_85
    anewme_85 Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually don't eat those things too often. I can't remember the last time I even had a cookie. I decided to switch from sedentary to lightly active, which increased my calories. Now, I'm in the process of switching up my workout routine. I'm going to decrease my strength training to about two days per week and focus mainly on cardio (as I've been doing, but I've recently added more lifting). I'm going to do this for about a week or two and observe how my body responds. I have to do something because my weight hasn't moved too much in about three weeks. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Exercising everyday in moderation is healthy, but exercising 2-4 hours a day may be doing more harm than good. Are you rotating between cardio & strength to allow your muscles to heal?
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories. Or if you don't trust the figures eat at least half of them back
    Better to leave yourself on sedentary and add exercise than to up your activity level.
    It will encourage you to exercise.
    Unless you get a less sedentary job.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You're not going to want to hear this, but I would suggest changing very little. Just listen to your body. And don't stress out so much.

Our bodies are quite complex, and things take time. I've recently lost 45 pounds (over the past 4-5 months). I did it by eating better and exercising 3-4 times per week (surprise, surprise! I should write a book!)... However, during that time, even though I was keeping to my plan, I sometimes went 2-3 weeks without losing weight.

However, I saw changes in the mirror. Friends kept telling me I looked so much better. Etc., etc. But the damn scale didn't move! Who knows why. But I just stayed the course, and eventually it all worked out.

Avoid any silly suggestions to "eat more" or "eat less" or "exercise more" or "exercise less" or whatever. Just keep doing what your body is telling you to do (critical! don't ignore this!), and stay the course. 3 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

--Prahasaurus
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When I signed up for MFP, I said that I wanted to lose 2lbs per week and that I was sedentary. Okay, so I begin my new journey and I'm exercising sometimes 2 to 4 hours per day, but I'm only eating anywhere between 1200 - 1500 calories per day. I probably exercise anywhere between 5 to 6 days per week. Some of my MFP friends were telling me that I was doing it all wrong because I wasn't eating back my calories and that I was doing too much exercise. I didn't like all the criticism because the weight was dropping off of me and why would I eat back calories (sometimes I had well over 2000 calories remaining) when I wasn't even hungry?

Well, it's been nearly three weeks and my weight has completely stopped. Now, I know that I shouldn't just look at the scale, but I should also use measurements. Especially in my case because I have been eating alot more protein and lifting several times per week. My best friend just left town and he said, "omg, you're getting smaller." So, that tells me that obviously there's a change. Over the last couple of days (while my BF was in town) I hadn't exercised as much (maybe 30 min of cardio, light walking) and I stood on the scale, thinking omg I bet I gained weight and to my surprise...I had lost a pound or two...I was so confused because I had been eating more than I felt I should have and yet the scale goes down? I ate an average of 2000 calories while my friend was in town opposed to the 1370 MFP allows me.

So, I've just been feeling confused. Maybe I should start eating those calories back or maybe I should stop exercising so much? I'm not sure, but not exercising doesn't seem like an option because I feel extremely odd if I don't. :/ Another option that I was considering was to switch from sedentary to active. Any suggestions?

This happened to me - You may be under-eating and over exercising. Try upping your calories to a little above your BMR (all healthy/clean foods - high protein, high fiber, and make sure you eat back carbs after cardio!!!). Also, try adding some weight lifting into your routine. After you work out those muscles, they continuously burn fat for hours, or sometimes even days pending how hard you worked. You may see less on the scale, still, but you will lose INCHES which we all know is WAY BETTER! The number will go down gradually, BE PATIENT! Just make sure you are eating enough and don't put your body into starvation mode. And those of you who say it "doesn't exist" - ask any nutritionist, and any trainer. It does. Fuel your body!!!!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think when you start any new fat loss program, you'll see a quick change. This quick change is likely water weight through sweating. I don't think anyone can lose any great amount of fat in such a short time. I think it may take at least a couple of months. Its only been 3 weeks. What did you hope to accomplish in 3 weeks?
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There is a great group on mfp called Eat More to Weigh Less. Please note, that is not "eat whatever you want" to weigh less. :) But with the exercise you are doing, your body may need more calories to keep it fed. I think you've done the right think by raising your activity level, you might even consider very active rather than lightly active based on what you said.

Try your latest setting for a while and see how it goes. In the end, as long as you are eating healthy and exercising, it should go your way. :)