Peanut butter

Options
seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
When eating back burned calories, sometimes is impossible, I was told an easy way is to eat peanut butter from the jar. Does anyone know why this is a good way to do this? Is it not high in fat?

And should I be eaiting back all my calories until there is nothing left?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the Peanut Butter topic, but I only eat back my calories if I am hungry. I don't force feed myself just to eat back those burned calories.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    ^ Seems like good advice to me!

I've heard of the PB thing, but mainly as a quick fix for protein, not just calories for the sake of calories.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    I would expect the PB is just because it's incredibly high in calories, so you can get back your exercise cals without actually filling up. It seems silly to me, though. I mean, eat back enough to keep you fueled and active, but if you don't need it you're just wasting your deficit.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the Peanut Butter topic, but I only eat back my calories if I am hungry. I don't force feed myself just to eat back those burned calories.

This. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You really just have to get better at managing your day.. It gets very hard to eat the calories you're supposed to have if you don't plan your food and workouts. I am in training for something most all the time; I keep very specific workouts for a specific purpose. Some days that requires burning anywhere from 800 to 1200 calories. I get up first thing in the morning and log the exercises I'm going to do that day, so I can divide my calories into six meals and schedule them. That way, not only am I getting what I need in total for the day, I am also specifically fueling for my workouts, which makes better workouts, which makes me fitter and better come competition day. It's not imossible, you just need to approach it proactively instead of reactively.

You do what's best for you.. some people eat all their calories, some 50%, some none. Instead of thinking of it that way, I eat for what my body needs for what I'm trying to accomplish. If it's an easy run day, with no weights, I cut back, carb up, and eat to about 250 cals of my goal. If it's a hard day, with a run and weights, I protein up and eat to about 300-500 within my cals. If it's a rest day, I usually eat them all. And if my body needs more, I eat more. It's that simple. I am a machine, in order to work optimally, I fuel it. I think, work and eat like an athlete.
  • x0xlinds21x0x
    x0xlinds21x0x Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry, I try not to eat more than half of my workout cals.. I do eat peanut butter daily for the protein because I do not eat much meat..
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i am trying to put on weight, so i always try to eat back my workouts to about a 200 cal surplus. peanutbutter, or a peanutbutter sandwich is a good way for me to put on these calories without completely filling myself up while having a good mix of fats and protein.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When eating back burned calories, sometimes is impossible, I was told an easy way is to eat peanut butter from the jar. Does anyone know why this is a good way to do this? Is it not high in fat?

And should I be eaiting back all my calories until there is nothing left?

Peanut butter IS high in fat, but fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. Overeating makes you fat, whether you overeat fat, carbs or protein.

Peanut butter can be a good way to get some easy calories, but it is also very easy to overdo it.

And, personally, unless I am far below my main calorie goal (rare), I don't eat to get all of my calories. I don't eat back my exercise calories, either-as a rule (sometimes nice to have a little cushion because I often go over my calorie goal by just a bit).
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you eat peanut butter, make sure you are eating the real thing! Most commercial peanut butters are filled with all kinds of bad stuff. Peanut butter should be made from peanuts--and thats it!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know for me, if I exercise early in the day (instead of right before a dinner with chicken and veggies), a tablespoon of peanut butter on toast is my go-to to help me get past the shaky feeling after strength training and to revive my body. If you don't want to eat it, don't, but I think the point is that it will help to repair your body. Here's an article which says that protein and some carbs are good after a workout and why they're good: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/snacks/low-calorie/after-workout-snacks/
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    peat butter is good if you want to gain weight :P not alot of protein n it but its a good fiber source
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that I have hungry and not as hungry days, so I don't force myself to eat every calorie,... but I don't beat myself up if I go over by 200 cals a few days later. On the Iphone app it tracks how many calories UNDER your deficet you are for the week. I always make sure I am under for the week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    peat butter is good if you want to gain weight :P not alot of protein n it but its a good fiber source

It is good regardless if you want to gain or lose. Peanut butter will not make you gain weight, unless it is the reason you are over maintenance caloric intake.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    eating back calories from exercise is also about timing, not just stuffing them back before you go to bed because MFP said your at a defecit. You should be refuelling immediately post workout!
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's full of good fat and protein that's why i like to eat it when I'm below my cals.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
  • Pugsley659
    Options
    Just get a handfull of nuts insread.... Peanut butter is good but id rather get my protein/cals/fats from Almonds & Cashews. 25g of almonds has about 150cals in but if your not hungry dont over feed unless your wanting to gain
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    25% protein is quite a lot, roughly the same as you'd get in chicken or beef or lamb.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    25% protein is quite a lot, roughly the same as you'd get in chicken or beef or lamb.
    Are you insane, chicken is practically 100% protein.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    One of my snacks is a slice of Julian Bakery's Smart Carb #2 Cinnamon Raisin bread with 2 tablespoons of homemade hazelnut butter. That combination gives me about 316 calories 18g protein 18g fat 7 active carbs 17g fiber 2g sugar. With it, I'll drink a protein shake for more protein so its a rather filling meal rather than a snack. Later in the day I'll have a protein shake with celery sticks and 1 tablespoon of hazelnut butter, as well. So using nuts and nut butters is a tasty way to add more nutrients to meet my macro needs.