Couch to 5K, is it possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was about 235 when I started running.

Walking is a good start. Make sure you get yourself a good pair of running shoes - it's definitely worthwhile visiting a running specialty store.

Build up slowly, even if you're following one of the apps don't worry if you have to repeat a week, everyone progresses at different rates and the most common reason for running injuries is trying to do too much, too soon too fast.

I'd also suggest having a look at runnersworld.com - they have some great videos for proper warm up techniques, stretching after your run and injury prevention (check out core, glute & hip strength) I used to feel like a doofus doing exercises like monster walks & the clam but they really do help (if you don't already have them get a set of resistance bands - they're not very expensive)

Listen to your body, a little soreness is normal pain is not. Have fun!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do this as well...I am terrified of running on the treadmill...lol...What's the app?

Hi jmhunter84, what is the name of the app? :)
  • Dad_of_3
    Options
    I found a C25K app and I am downloading it to my iPhone now. I have a question- I way 354 right now. I am currently walking 3/4 of a mile per day. I had a cardiac test a year ago- my heart is fine. Is is dangerous for someone of my size to get into an intense routine like this?
  • Dad_of_3
    Options
    Well, no one answered, but that's ok. I decided to give it a try this morning. I am going to just listen to my body. And guess what, I finished the first training regimen this morning. I went about .6 of a mile in all for the first morning. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over 300 and have been doing C25K with success :happy:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just have to say to all of you starting it, this program is GREAT! I started it two years ago and have been running ever since!!! The people telling you to take it slow are correct, the program is not about speed or pace. Running is running even if it's slow, so don't get discouraged if your "5k time" is slow at first. It will come in time. It's about finding something you enjoy and giving it your all!!!!

My biggest recommendations for this program are....
    Find your own pace.
    Get fit and purchase GOOD running shoes.
    Do NOT do this every day!!! Three days a week is plenty (but do some strength training on the other days).

Good luck runners!!!!!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ooOOooGravy/view/story-so-far-and-how-i-did-on-my-first-20-minute-run-143564

My blog might be helpful to you. I was around the same weight as you but i am younger, however dont let age defeat you!

after this blog, i finished C25K done multiple 5Ks and 10K and now working towards my first half marathon (aiming for a sub 2 hours) and first Triathlon.

It does work! :) best of luck
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes, you CAN do it. ....just listen to your body and don't over do it. :)
  • katieboo21
    katieboo21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you want advice on running or starting to run I recommend you read a book called 'Run Fat ***** Run' written by Ruth Field a barrister turned personal trainer/marathon runner. Sounds really boring a book about running but it's actually really humorous and there is a few inspriing stories in there. I read it when I was trying to do couch to 5k and found the book more useful
  • Mel_t_away
    Mel_t_away Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in January weighing 274pounds. I did have to repeat a couple of the weeks as i didn't feel ready to move on but I've now lost 48 pounds and can run nonstop for over 60 minutes.

Do it!! :)

Mel
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    As long as your doc clears you for exercise, go for it. I started walking fast at 285, running at 250. Did my first sub 2 hour HM at 205. Take it slow, get the rest days in and let your body tell you how hard to push and you should be fine.