Protein Ideas for those who don't love meat???

Options
I find myself with almost unbearable hungar pangs throughout the day because I'm not getting my protein in. I do eat poultry and seafood but don't desire it at every meal. (I can go days without eating meat.)

I'm looking for ideas to up my protein throughout the day to keep me satisfied.

Ideas anyone?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and cottage cheese have a ton of protein. And if you don't like them 'straight' you can put them in smoothies.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Agreed w/the Greek yogurt. About 18 grams of protein for one 6 ounce cup.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Milk also has 8g of protein for an 8oz glass. Use it in a smoothie and toss in some protein powder and you'll max out your protein pretty quick.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, nuts, protein bars, protein shakes, beans... :)
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I actually did a blog post on this topic! http://www.fitnessbender.com/2012/02/how-to-get-enough-protein.html

I eat plenty of greek yogurt, peanut butter, etc. There are some really yummy protein bars out there too!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

^Took the words right out of my mouth. :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

^Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

This :) you can also make your own protein snacks. Muffins, cookies, peanutbutter bars, etc. Google!!!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Griddled Halloumi Cheese. 100g has about 300 calories and 20g protein.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I have recently discovered brown rice protein, I mix 1 tablespoon in with a fresh fruit smoothie in the mornings before I do anything, and I am full until lunchtime- it can be mixed into anything though :)
    Good Luck-
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein shakes... they are so good! I only like the chocolate flavor (any brand) there are some Protein Bars that taste pretty good... Almonds have protein, reduced fat string cheese, I think Special K makes a protein water? Never had it though.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I know nuts shouldn't be considered a protein source because of their high calorie and fat content, but peanut butter and apple slices have saved the day several times! I find the combination incredibly filling and tasty too. It makes a great pick me up snack or after workout snack.

Also, I'm vegan and I snack on Smartdog hotdogs-- I forget the actual stats, but they are super low in calories and super high in protein. The best part is that I eat them straight out of the package. I get some weird looks in my office though :) They are an awesome way to have protein not bogged down by tons of calories.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are the way to go if you do not like meat which I am guessing includes fish. You can eat more foods with it but if you are trying to get a high intake of protein you need to do the shakes. Chocolate is always best.
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    tofu (there are a lot of tasty options - tofu "meatballs", "sausages",...), seitan, curd cheese, yoghurt, cheese (low fat), chickpeas, peanuts (or peanutbutter), pulse/legumes, eggs and protein shakes.
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 9 years and now I only eat chicken breast, turkey and some seafood. So I too can go days without meat. I rely on legumes, nut butters like almond butter,and natural peanut butter. I like them on fruit like a banana or apples for snacks. I make homemade protein bars there are some great recipes on the net. I also drink a protein smoothie everyday post work out. I use Nectar whey protein isolate it comes in a variety of flavors and it tastes great. I put protein powder and greek (regular) light yogurt, frozen fruit in my smoothies sometimes I add kale,spinach, carrots, vfusion light, etc. Good luck incorporating more protein in your diet. Another suggestion is to break up protein into mini meals thru out the day.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    buy some flavorless whey protein and add to whatever you want. or
    I buy whey protein shots(found at walmart) and they have a minimum of 26g of protein per vial. They also have shots with 42g protein in them. Flavors like grape, watermelon, fruit punch, and acai. $2-$3 per vial. Quick source of large amounts of protein. great for after working out.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There are a MILLION non-meat protein sources. I'll name just a few:
    Beans (chickpeas are my favorite)
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan
    Quinoa (one of the only "grains" that is also a complete protein)
    Protein powder (in a smoothie - yum!)
    Eggs (1 whole + 2 whites is an amazing amount of protein -- mixed w/ grilled veggies, about the best meal you can eat)
    Nut butters (my new favorite is Sunflower seed butter oh so good)
    Yogurt (especially greek)
    Cottage cheese
    Nuts.

I could go on and on.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    for breakfast I have a cup of zero fat Chobani great yogurt and ad a quarter cup of Kashi go lean toated Berry crunch for an extra shot of protein and a bit of texture
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know nuts shouldn't be considered a protein source because of their high calorie and fat content, but peanut butter and apple slices have saved the day several times!

The thing is, as long as you are eating natural nut butters and unsalted nuts, you're getting healthy fats, and you don't need much to get the protein boost -- my favorite (Sunflower Seed Butter) has 8 grams of protein per serving. Even half a serving on my protein pancake ends up giving me a protein boost for only 100 calories, and I'm getting those "good" fats -- remember, fat doesn't necessarily make you fat!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I actually did a blog post on this topic! http://www.fitnessbender.com/2012/02/how-to-get-enough-protein.html

I eat plenty of greek yogurt, peanut butter, etc. There are some really yummy protein bars out there too!

Your recipes look really good, thanks!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    protein bars make great snacks, so do almonds or any nuts, primal strip jekry (vegan jerky!), tofu, beans, peas, lentils. Remember there are plenty of people who don't eat meat at all and get enough protein.