best recipes to freeze?

Options

Replies

• toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i read online that anything with cream base, cheese, milk that kind of thing don't freeze well.. also i made some asparagus and freeze them.. they feel soggy ..
  • azurbson
    azurbson Posts: 29
    Options
    I make batches of buffalo chicken in egg roll wrappers and freeze them, and wonton taco cupcakes. Just grab a couple out of the freezer in the morning and take to work for lunches.
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    I make batches of buffalo chicken in egg roll wrappers and freeze them, and wonton taco cupcakes. Just grab a couple out of the freezer in the morning and take to work for lunches.
    can you post the recipes?
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of smoothies, any kind with yogurt, milk or juice, and tons of fruit, and they freeze great. I put them in 1 cup containers, and take them for breakfast.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of smoothies, any kind with yogurt, milk or juice, and tons of fruit, and they freeze great. I put them in 1 cup containers, and take them for breakfast.
    Forgot to add: any breads (like low cal Banana Oatmeal bread) freeze great. Cut them into individual slices, wrap them & freeze. They are just like fresh when you take them out.
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    great site!
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    bump
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    bump
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Those both sound awesome.....recipes please?? =)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Lasagna

Enchiladas

Manicotti

Stuffed chicken

Casseroles with rice

Pulled pork/chicken

Chili/stew/soups
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I make homemade tortilla pizzas and freeze them with layers of wax paper between them.

I'm on a sodium restricted diet so I make my own pizza sauce, spread it on a tortilla, add low fat mozz. cheese, chopped red, yellow & orange bell peppers, seeded and chopped tomatoes and mushrooms. You can use any toppings!
    I then freeze them on a big cookie sheet. Layer them on top of each other with the wax paper between them or slide frozen pizzas into gallon ziploc bags.

Bake at 415 degrees on a preheated cookie sheet for about 15 minutes, or til the center is heated through.

You can vary the caloric content by the size, type of tortillas you use and if you use meat or not. I love, love these little pizzas and they are perfect for lunch or dinner.

This is awesome. I am totally going to do this.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Make up batches of turkey chili with lots of beans and freeze in single serving (1 cup) freezer bags. You can throw them in your lunch bag frozen and by lunch time it is defrosted and ready for microwave. Calories depend on what you put in it. Use the recipe builder for your counts.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This white bean chicken chili recipe is awesome and freezes like a dream. I usually more or less double itmake a few changes:

- If you have time, use dried beans instead of canned - much easier on the sodium than the original recipe.
    - I tend to double the beans... :)
    - You can use fresh tomatillos and tomatoes instead of canned - againin, lower sodium, better flavor
    - I don't fuss with fresh corn - use frozen!
    - Add jalapenos or your favorite peppers to kick up the heat a notch

43452.jpg

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chicken-chili/detail.aspx

These butter bean burger patties freeze well too and are awesome on a but with lettuce and a smear of spicy hummmus. I add a couple of extra saltines and broil them instead of frying.

34825.jpg

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butter-bean-burgers/detail.aspx

Just a couple of other tips:

- When I cook up a batch of beans, I often make extra and freeze them to add to soups and chilis later. They're a bit mushier after freezing, but it works well enough. They're also perfect for purees then (think refried beans or hummus)
    - Your favorite pulled pork or pulled chicken will freeze well.
    - I'll sometimes put a few big chicken breasts in the crock pot and let them cook with water all day, then shred the meat. Packaged into baggies and frozen, you've got quick cooked chicken for wraps, chicken salad, or aything that could use some cooked shredded chicken.

Good luck - enjoy!
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    bump
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh, and since it's getting to be herb-garden season, I should mention that homemade pesto is very freezable! You can make up a big batch when it's time to cut back your basil plants and freeze it in an ice cube tray. Transfer the pesto cubes to a baggie and take out a couple for pasta, sauces, or for chicken or fish. Yum! :)
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Ice Cream

1/2 cup mashed Strawberries
    2 Tablespoons Whipped Cream Cheese
    1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
    1 cup Vanilla almond milk
    2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
    1/4 cup chopped Strawberries

Mash strawberries, SF Syrup and cream cheese together. Mix together milk, protein, & strawberry cream cheese mixture. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add chopped strawberries. I put it in the freezer to set for an hour. Top with an optional squirt of Land o'Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream.
  • azurbson
    azurbson Posts: 29
    Options
    can you post the recipes?

Search in this section for the taco cupcake post, they are great!

Buffalo chicken egg rolls - I cook up a couple of chicken breasts, cut into small pieces, mix with Frank's Buffalo wing sauce and some ranch dressing. Put onto egg roll wrapper and roll, then I bake them at 350 for about 14 minutes, flipping halfway.