Vegetarian Lunches without bread in them?

Options
2»

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil, but if you're tired of things like bread, pasta, and rice there are lots of substitutes.

Zuchinni, mushroom, loads of other veggies stir fried is really good
    A lettuce wrap
    Salad with some sort of fruit and nuts is always good
    Look up riced cauliflower
    Cauliflower crust pizza

Google has loads.

=]
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later...the chick pea and feta salad sounds delicious!!
  • joannafarrer
    Options
    Veggie omlette, heavy on the veggies, made with two large or three small eggs. Add a little strongly flavoured cheese - but only a little! With a big green salad, I find it filling and tasty.
  • dmeyrich89
    dmeyrich89 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey I really like this idea!!! How much cheese do u use and what would you say a serving size is???

Thank You!!
  • cassiemck5
    Options
    LOL, beans, beans, beans...hope you like beans! And while I do LOVE me some beans, I get tired of eating them all the time! I found a recipe once for protein salad that went something like:

Protein Salad
    3/4 c. soybeans, shelled
    3/4 c. rye berries (you can find them in the bulk section at Earth Fare)
    1/2 lb. firm tofu
    1/2 c. veganaise
    1 medium onion, diced
    1/2 red bell pepper, diced
    1 carrot, peeled & diced
    1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded & diced
    1/8 c. dried dill weed
    1/8 c. apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp medium grind black pepper

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook soybeans and rye berries until tender. Let cool. Crumble tofu over cooled soybeans & berries. Add remaining ingredients and stir together. Chill. Serve by itself or over a green salad.

It's really tasty and summery and although there's edamame in there, I don't really think of them as 'beans'.

Good luck with your lunch adventures! :happy:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Chickpea & Feta Salad

2 cup(s) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), finely minced, or less to taste
    2 Tbsp scallion(s), thinly sliced
    1/2 large sweet red pepper(s), diced
    2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, finely minced
    9 large olive(s), black or green or calamata, pitted and chopped
    1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
    1 tsp lemon zest, for garnish

In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, garlic, scallions, red pepper, parsley, olives and feta cheese; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and lemon juice; pour over chickpea mixture and season to taste with black pepper. Garnish with lemon zest; serve. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving. Serve over salad greens.

This sounds AMAZING. I loooove chick peas. Vegetarian chilli would be nice too. Know some vegetarians do eat tuna, some don't, so if you do tuna salad. I had a huge one today with 30g of protein for 300 cals, very filling too. Tip add the tuna before you eat if you don't want soggy salad! X
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just had two slices of a tomato and broccoli fritata, and a cucumber salad. You could also make a big stir-fry with tofu and vegetables. Soups are also a great low-carb option (throw in some beans or lentils for protein).
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Today I'm have boca burger patties and green giant steamer vegetables and snacks of Okio's Peach Greek Yogurt a plucot and an aprium (these are hybrid fruits of plum and apricots)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are opposed to brown rice but I just made some brown rice with (about 1/2 red) lentils and (1/8-1/16) cashews. Spray with Braggs aminos and it is absolutely delicious! So simple to make, I threw the cashews in the rice cooker with the rice. If I had a bigger rice cooker I could have thrown in the lentils too but red lentils cook up fast anyway. I am going to eat it with some spinach today--yumalicious.
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Bump.

I love stuffed tomatoes -- I cut tomatoes in half, take out the pulp, and then stuff them with garlic and either mozzarella, basil and white beans, or feta, spinach and chickpeas with some lemon juice, then bake them in the oven til bubbly.

These are good to take cold, too -- with the feta mixture it doesn't need cooking to taste fantastic.

Or you could make a feta, chickpea, and tomato salad with lots of lemon juice and pepper and salt and pair it with a hardboiled egg and some avocado slices -- I do that a lot as well (love feta!).

One of my all-time favorite salads is black beans, tomatoes, corn, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, salt, and cayenne, tossed together. It's very portable and great as a salad, salsa, or garnish. I could eat a pound of it happily.