Hydrating while running

Options
I just saw a post about hydrating after running, but how do you all hydrate during your run? I am finding as the days are getting hotter and my runs are getting longer I am super thirsty and dehydrated a lot faster into my run. Have you tried the water belts and what do you think of them? is it easy to drink while running or do you take breaks? Just some advice on running in warmer weather would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• skybluesounds
    Options
    the park where i run has a water fountain so i would stop there if i was thirsty. Only run like 3 miles though so i don't get too thirsty during my run, however i am very thirsty once i get home!
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a hydration belt. It's by Fuel Belt, it has 3 bottles. Two of them have NUUN in it and one has just plain water. I find that this seems to be working for me. Of course I will re-evaluate as my runs creep to over 10 miles and as the temperature increases.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd need to take water on my runs, but as the days have gotten hotter & my running distance increases with my 10k training, I found that it's nice to have along! I picked up a hand held bottle by Runners World at TJ Maxx the other day - $7.00! It's contoured to fit my hand and has a neoprene "holster" that fits over the back of my hand, so I don't even have to grip it while I'm running - it stays put. Holds 12oz, but I usually only fill it half full so it's not as heavy, and I haven't (yet) needed the full amount. It's easy to use while running - has a pull top and then I just squeeze the bottle to get a quick drink.

I figure if I don't drink it all I can always pour it on my head to cool off!

Great topic here about hot weather running: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running?hl=running+tips+heat
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike and I use this;

6970935_2486_thumb.jpg

http://www.altrec.com/high-sierra/wave-70-hydration-backpack

...and I love it
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    there''s a drinking fountain in the park i run thru and then one at the rec center I stop at for water, may get a belt or something once my distances increase....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The real trick is to make sure you're adequately hydrated before running (an easy way to tell is by the colour of your urine - it should be very light, almost clear throughout the day) then depending on how far you're running and the weather you may find that you don't need to carry anything.

For my longer runs I have a fuel belt with a couple of water bottles. If you're drinking while running you want to take small sips fairly frequently rather than big gulps - there are few things more annoying that running with a lot of water sloshing around in your stomach. With a little practice you can learn to drink on the go.
  • amberleighM04
    Options
    I don't drink that much while running, I sip a but but mostly wet my mouth.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...I've been wondering the same thing. I take 2 water bottles to the track I run with me and usually carry one after my first mile. It's so hot out and my throat gets super dry. Helps me to run longer distances if I have water with me. I usually go the first mile with nothing, then grab a bottle and finish.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Nathan Quickdraw water pack from (I know MFP is going to censor the store name LOL) D*cks Sporting Goods.. I have been seeing a lot of runners carrying similar things. I had been carrying a bottle of water or Gatorade during my runs but I like the idea of one that grips my hand

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4042887&ppp=126
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree that hydrating before the run is a very good idea- especially with the hot weather- no matter what distance you are running. Beyond that I look at temperature and time spent. I'm usually good until 30 minutes but if I go over I would wear my belt and not care how stupid it looks which can hold a water bottle. When in doubt I would carry water because you do NOT want to collapse due to dehydration/heat exhaustion which has happened to me mountain biking. It is totally preventable. I have buddies down at Ft. Bragg who see this happen during ruck marches almost every day. It can hit you with absolutely little to no forewarning at all no matter what kind of shape you are in.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan's hydration belt but I HATE it. I always rides up, jiggles, and leaks. I now use a small running camelbak when I over 8 miles. I barely notice it and it makes it easy to sip not gulp. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Charm-Hydration-Poppy-Tango/dp/B004380KSM/
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks everyone.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The real trick is to make sure you're adequately hydrated before running (an easy way to tell is by the colour of your urine - it should be very light, almost clear throughout the day) then depending on how far you're running and the weather you may find that you don't need to carry anything.
    Another reason I bought the bottle - warmer days mean earlier running to beat the heat, so less change to get much water down before I head out the door. :smile:

Plus I'm turning into a running gear junkie, picking things up if they are a good price because you never know when you might need it! :tongue:
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I only need it on runs over an hour (and I sweat a ridiculous amount), I try and plan the run so i loop back past near the house after 45-50 minutes and hide a bottle in the hedge :smile:
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Another reason I bought the bottle - warmer days mean earlier running to beat the heat, so less change to get much water down before I head out the door. :smile:

Plus I'm turning into a running gear junkie, picking things up if they are a good price because you never know when you might need it! :tongue:

I do this too! Same with hiking gear. It's so bad.
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! this is very helpful to me and it sounds like to quite a few others as well!