Support needed after miscarriage

Options
Hello,
I'm a long-time member of MFP, but haven't been using it much. Have completely fallen off the wagon lately...exactly a month ago I had a miscarriage at approx 7 weeks. I was doing so good up until then, eating well and preparing for a health and happy pregnancy. The miscarriage changed everything, turned my world upside down. I'm back to eating anything and everything, like an entire box of granola bars while watching TV. And much too large portions. Maybe this is just part of my own person grieving process, but as each pound creeps onto the scale, I get more depressed and less motivated.
Anyone with advice or support, please help!

-rm

Replies

• ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Please remember you need to let yourself grieve...it's part of the process.

In the meantime, you can work on making sure you surround yourself with healthy choices. For instance, if you have a package of grapes instead of a box of granola bars, eating an entire package will have a less negative impact. Assuming you'd like to try for another pregnancy someday, you can chose to take this unfortunate experience and use it to help you prepare for the next time.

Still...don't be too hard on yourself...going through a loss, even after 7 weeks, is painful.

Best of luck--I'll send out some healing thoughts for you.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! I've been there. It derails you. But YOU are worth the effort to be healthy. YOU are still here and still strong and still important. YOU have support right here and YOU have the ability to get going again.

What you don't have is blame. These things happen for reasons we may never understand. It's not your fault.

Hang in there! You're OK, whether or not you feel that way. HUGS!
  • mtraver88
    mtraver88 Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm so sorry. *hugs* I've had 4 miscarriages, one as late as 13 weeks. It's not easy and the pain will linger for a long time. However, you are a strong woman who can accomplish whatever you put your mind to. Talking about it may help too. Listen to these ladies, they know what they're talking about. Make the decision to get up and get yourself back on track. You have lots of support. :) *hugs*
  • sacorner
    sacorner Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also had a miscarriage at 7 weeks about a month ago. It was devastating and I'm still working through it. However, I used it as an opportunity to motivate. I am definitely interested in having more kids (I have one right now). I want to have the healthiest body I can so that it will be ready to carry a baby when the time comes. I know that a healthy mom doesn't always guarantee a healthy pregnancy but it certainly can't hurt!

Good luck and add me as a friend if you are interested in some extra support going through this.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been there, too, and I've gone on to have 4 beautiful children. It takes time to heal, and I wouldn't worry about being too hard on yourself at the moment. Try to start to get some exercise as you feel up to it. Even just getting out for a walk will help boost your mood, and empower you to make better choices. I had my first diagnosed depression after my miscarriage, and it is very common. If your feelings of sadness, loss, etc. are still keeping you from enjoying things you would normally enjoy after a month or so, you should talk to your doctor about it. Miscarriage is a double whammy of hormonal imbalance and emotional turmoil that are both risk factors for depression. When you think of how common post partum depression is, this is even more so. Take care of yourself, and know that if you need extra help at this time, there is nothing wrong with that. (Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now)
  • maervin9
    maervin9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss ... some people are unaware of the necessity of grieving a miscarriage and friends & family often offer up trite comments that re inadvertently insensitive. I hope you'll give yourself some time and work toward loving yourself in the coming days and weeks. When you're ready to think about trying to have another baby, take good care of yourself ... some good advice here worked or my daughter http://healthybabycode.com/category/5-myths Blessings (hugs)
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had a miscarriage at seven weeks also, several years ago. It is completely devastating. Be gentle with yourself, and try to take good care and soothe yourself as you can. Hang in there.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    So sorry this has happened. Here you go http://www.secretclubproject.org/