Question about spaghetti

Options
How much cooked spaghetti does 2 oz. of dry spaghetti yield? I made some Dreamfield's spaghetti (didn't measure before boiling) and now I'm not sure how much to eat. The nutrition info on the box says a serving is 2 oz. dry. I'm not eating dry spaghetti! Now what? Any help will be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    I had this same issue and didn't end up eating it. They really should specify.
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    This site explains how to get dry/cooked pasta yield http://bit.ly/NNeQ9M

(Sorry for short link, I'm on my phone)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    usually there is a circle on the box you hold the dry spag up to
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It can vary because the cooking time will vary - changing the amount of water absorbed and thus the weight
  • rayahmarie333
    rayahmarie333 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, Google came to my rescue! In case anyone else wants to know, 2 oz. of dry spaghetti yields about 1 cup of cooked spaghetti. Thanks anyways! :laugh:
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    I wish I knew how many oz/grams it was cooked....off to google.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend a little on the pasta and brand, and how long you cook it for (it will absorb more water and weigh more the longer its cooked) but I have cooked barilla spaghetti and measured a few times now to be sure, I cook it a fraction softer than al dente, and for me the ratio is about 2.4, so 2oz raw should be around 4.8oz cooked.

(eta: Dang spelling errors!)
  • xxzimmer
    xxzimmer Posts: 37
    Options
    Just weigh it before you cook it. If you are making it for several people, just make yours seperately.
  • timvickroy
    timvickroy Posts: 12
    Options
    It's going to depend a little on the pasta and brand, and how long you cook it for (it will absorb more water and weight more the longer its cooked) but I have cooked barilla spaghetti and measured a few times now to be sure, I cook it a fraction softer than al dente, and for me the ratio is about 2.4, so 2oz raw should be around 4.8oz cooked.

^^ This.

I have done the same thing with similar results. A ratio of 2 to 2.5 is typical depending on brand, type how long you cook.