What are your keys to success???

Options
I have given up on the scale. It's toooooooo slow for how I feel.

So here are the things I have learned and am thankful for:

1. If I eat something sugary, I feel so much better if I do a little exercise afterwards. Even if it's just a 20 minute walk.
2. Eating out is a HUGE challenge and requires advanced planning.
3. Too much sugar in the morning is a disaster for the day.
4. if I'm working in the garden, I need to take breaks every 30 minutes to re-fuel.
5. Pictures are important.
6. If you are feeling down about the scale, DO NOT WEIGH, but make good eating choice either eating-wise or logging-wise.
7. If my back feels weak, do pilates or some other exercise with core strengthening.

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    The key to success is internal motivation and having written goals.
    And this is true for every area of life: health, money, relationships, career....everything!
    Decide what you want, set goals and take action.
    Stay motivated.
    Success is always a choice.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Consistency
    Logging my food
    Excercise daily
    Being concious about what I eat
    Water
    Inner conviction/outward results
  • lisajo91
    lisajo91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips, given me something to focus on!
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it's been logging and being consistent. if there are "rules" i tend not to cheat -- if it's a free-for-all or if I lack consistency, i am more likely to splurge. And the consistency goes double-plus for exercise. It is on my calendar and so I do it. Even when I don't want to. Even when I just want to lie around in my PJs and eat bon bons. I have never yet regretted DOING it... it's just the getting it done that is so darn hard.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    no cheating!

having a friend to support me.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    me too. <3
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have given up on the scale. It's toooooooo slow for how I feel.

So here are the things I have learned and am thankful for:

1. If I eat something sugary, I feel so much better if I do a little exercise afterwards. Even if it's just a 20 minute walk.
    2. Eating out is a HUGE challenge and requires advanced planning.
    3. Too much sugar in the morning is a disaster for the day.
    4. if I'm working in the garden, I need to take breaks every 30 minutes to re-fuel.
    5. Pictures are important.
    6. If you are feeling down about the scale, DO NOT WEIGH, but make good eating choice either eating-wise or logging-wise.
    7. If my back feels weak, do pilates or some other exercise with core strengthening.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I agree the scale is not my friend, the scale does not move for me, but my inches are coming off alot. I just focus on I am eating healthy diet I workout 6 days a week, and thats all I can do and I feel great so I will only weigh myself once a month.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The night before I plan my meals for the next day and log them to make sure I am in my proper range and I do not deviate from the plan unless it is to replace one healthy food for another.

Know what foods are your weaknesses and have a plan for how to deal with them should you come across them. My weakness is chocolate so for my dessert on days I exercise I have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich which is a healthier choice and satisfies my need for chocolate.

As mentioned already by others, writing down your goals and keeping them where you see them regularly. I keep some on my profile page and others at home where I can be reminded. From my starting point I needed to lose 140 lbs and at someone's sugegstion I am making a list of 140 reasons I want to lose 140 lbs. It is a work in progress at the moment because I think of new things to add.

Visualization is key for me. I choose my mood in the morning by visualizing a time in my life where I felt the most relaxed and really happy. I close my eyes and put myself in the moment and recall the sounds, smells and how I felt. By being in a good mood I am less likely to make unhealthy choices.

For times when I am going to a special occassion or some event that has food I eat before I go and say no to the food at the event.

Fortuantely for me my family is very supportive and non-critical so that really helps as well and I know not everyone has that.

Posting regularly on MFP and participating in some of the groups that pose challenges such as the Sexy Sixers group where we do six week challenges and the Hogwarts group where it goes in four weeks and you compete between 'houses'. That gives me accountability.

Lastly, understand that it isn't just physical health that needs work, it is emotional, mental and spiritual work too to make myself healthy overall not just in one capacity.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    ~Logging every single thing that I eat
    ~Getting cardio in every day...walking/running in place
    ~Do the Jillian Michaels 30-day shred daily
    ~Do weights 3x weekly
    ~Water!!
    ~Taking it one day at a time.....& pushing myself to the max daily!!! :)
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I choose my mood in the morning by visualizing a time in my life where I felt the most relaxed and really happy. I close my eyes and put myself in the moment and recall the sounds, smells and how I felt.

LOVE
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    making an exercise schedule and sticking to it works for me!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    What are your keys to success???

1. Cardiovascular Exercise
    2. Strength Training
    3. Proper Nutrition
    4. Strong Support System
    5. Behavior Therapy