self-defence

Options
2»

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Most of the ladies I know can't find their cell phone in their purse when it is ringing and vibrating. You think you can find that little can of pepper spray when you need it? Go with a collapsible baton if you are not comfortable with a gun.

I wouldn't recommend any weapon that could be turned onto the victim. Unless a person gets extensive training on how to use that baton, it will be easily taken away from her. We tend to have less physical strength than men, so speed, defensive training, and one-shot weapons (pepper spray, lit cigarette) are better choices for women who do not want to receive training with guns or other weapons.

Collapsible ( ASP ) batons are not legal in most states...
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Most of the ladies I know can't find their cell phone in their purse when it is ringing and vibrating. You think you can find that little can of pepper spray when you need it? Go with a collapsible baton if you are not comfortable with a gun.

lol... this made me laugh because I can picture myself looking for my cell phone! I carry a big enough purse that a Mag flashlight fits perfectly, and it can hurt like hell!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    women, (and men i guess!), what are your thoughts on self-defence?

a man was totally following me in his car last night for a few blocks, but being swift like a fox i got him turned around. i know this has happened to my friends as well. what are your thoughts? pepper spray?

Not sure what state you are in, but CWP is a must. Take classes, And definitely take shooting lessons. Yes, you can get perfect at the karate or taekwondo, but there is no match when you have to confront someone twice your size. If you live alone, take your car keys to bed with you. If you hear someone breaks in, use your key chain alarm while you loading your pistol(actually it should already be loaded).
  • kraj8995
    kraj8995 Posts: 28
    Options
    Self-defense or private defense is a countermeasure that involves defending oneself, one's property or the well-being of another from harm.
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    First step is to be aware of yourself and things around you. Which you seem to be. Next find what is comfortable for you. If you are more comfortable with pepper spray or a defense art or even a gun then choose that. You don't want choose something that when the time comes to us it you are going to be unsure of or unsure of using. Confidence and practice will get your through an event. Take sometime and look into courses or even talk to the local and state police. A lot of states and towns offer things like that to help a civilian out. The more prepared you are the better you will be.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    iPods are an attackers best friend.

If I am walking down a quiet street at night I will walk in the road, so to avoid any driveways, pathways where a person can come at you unawares. I also have a rape alarm, but nothing beats awareness of your surroundings.

I'm not in the States and don't believe guns are practical. In the time it takes to draw it you could be unconscious - and you can hardly walk around with it drawn, like you can walk around with a rape alarm already in your hands.
  • Brea_81
    Brea_81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only time I really worry about it is when I'm walking in the evenings. I always have my very protective 90lb dog, and usually at least one friend with me. I always have my cell phone with me, and if it's dark, I carry my pepper spray in my hand. I stick to busy, well-lit streets (as busy as they get in my little town :)), and cross the street/run if I start getting that feeling that something's not right. If I'm alone, I usually have my ipod, but keep the volume low so I can hear everything, and I look around a lot.

I'd love to take a self-defense class at some point, though.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The problem with guns and other weapons is that they slow you down and can be taken away to be used against you. Self-defense can help with reaction times and things like Krav Maga, which uses your body's natural reactions can speed you up. Additionally I can take out a guy twice my size with Krav using the right pressure points and techniques. Fighting someone off, whether the right technique or not, is always better than doing nothing.

Another thing you learn in many self defense classes is bite and scratch!! You'll get your attacker's DNA and help the police. Scream, loudly and a lot. Call attention to yourself in any way possible.

Finally, swing with your purse rather than dig in it for whatever you may or may not have in there, it will be more effective.
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    It's good to know at least a little.Basic blocks and punches go along way.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo1VpW5OrjbbxXcByA3T_VZHi7yQTwb6-u8yXTn1soe9Nvu-NI

Defence wins games and protects you from being violated.
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The problem with guns and other weapons is that they slow you down and can be taken away to be used against you. Self-defense can help with reaction times and things like Krav Maga, which uses your body's natural reactions can speed you up. Additionally I can take out a guy twice my size with Krav using the right pressure points and techniques. Fighting someone off, whether the right technique or not, is always better than doing nothing.

Another thing you learn in many self defense classes is bite and scratch!! You'll get your attacker's DNA and help the police. Scream, loudly and a lot. Call attention to yourself in any way possible.

Finally, swing with your purse rather than dig in it for whatever you may or may not have in there, it will be more effective.

I agree with this above post for the most part.

Someone twice your size can mean nothing if you just no some practical moves and strikes. I work with kids/women and men in teaching Tang Soo Do (Karate) I have been knocked down by a girl that weighed less than 100#s and I was at 250 at the time.

Best to get away and stay out of reach or run. If you get backed down in a corner you need to defend yourself, Just a simple sidekick can take the breath out of someone if done correctly. I am not a real beleiver in pressure points because they are usualy demonstrated on someon just standing there. Low kicks to the knee will take the bigges out and only take about 15# of force to do so.

I have a 14 year old daughter I have seen beat 18 year old guys fighting, no they were not enraged lunitics. It just proves you can protect yourself.

Be safe and get some lessons, carry or both.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A (hand to hand) self defense class is a worthwhile endevor.

The best defense is to avoid the fight. No matter how well trained you are, you never know what the other guy is bringing to the table.

For myself, I have taken (and retaken) self defense classes so if someone puts their hands on me I have a resonable ability to disable and escape. If I'm threatened with no avenue of escape (or in my home), I have enough armament dispatch the threat.