Random Friend Requests?

Options
So I'm pretty new to the community boards on mfp and since I've started posting some q&a's I have received several friend requests from people I don't know. Can someone explain this to me? Maybe they see my response or weight loss ticker and have something in common? Are people looking for motivation on their notifications page when they have a progress update? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just get so confused to see these mystery invitations!

Thanks!!

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I do too! It's a little weird when there's no message. I usually add them but if we don't interact at all, they get the chop :)
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    I do too! It's a little weird when there's no message. I usually add them but if we don't interact at all, they get the chop :)

this...

i also just straight up ask them how they found me. i like to know where they came from.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Same here and 9times out of 10 once they're added, they dont say anything!! Or leave a msg before adding you
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It is weird when they have the option to leave a short message, that said & done I still add them BUT I would still appreciate the message.

Russ
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If I add people it is usually because they have said something found interesting or funny, we have similar goals, or perhaps they are just a cool person. When I receive them I add them and it usually turns out to be a positive thing.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I try to add people who I think could help motivate me to do better. I usually base this on the responses I see on the message boards or if we have something in common. I try to find all the other actors on here especially as well as others recovering from ED. There are some amazing people on here.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    yes I figured it's something I wrote on a post and the person like it
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    If you're posting on the message boards, people may think you're interesting, click on your name & send a request.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No message, no add.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't accept random requests from users I've never seen before without a message. If they say a bit about why they want to add me, and have at least some info on their profile I'll usually accept. I don't like my friends list to get over 100 though, it's too much to keep up with.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Okay, that makes sense. I'm used to the world of Facebook where I know everyone!! Thanks everyone.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I normally check their profiles before adding them. If their profile is:

1) blank with no goals and no information about them (bc it makes them total strangers to me)
    2) have over 100 friends (bc I assume they won't have time to support me and they are already well supported)
    3) their diary shows a caloric intake of less than 1200 calories per day (bc I can't be around ppl with eating disorders)

I won't add them.