Trouble getting in all calories

Options
netty
netty Posts: 11 Member
Hi, I'm having trouble getting in all of my calories. MFP gives me 1460 calories and some days I can't get those in. I recently started going to the gym and may burn 400-700 calories per workout. I know not eating enough calories will hinder my weight loss and I don't want that to happen. Any ideas on how to get in my calories?

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi Netty,

Make sure you eat your 3 meals and you have breakfast within a couple of hours of waking up. As long as you eat every few hours and eat at least 1200 calories a day you should be OK.

Our nutritionist at work says you should eat within 2 hours of getting up and never go more than 4-5 hours without eating something even if it is a small snack.

Are you above or below 1200 a day? Are you loosing weight or stuck at a plateau?

JAM
  • lailavendar
    Options
    I'm not sure how you have that problem. I'm pretty sure most other people have the opposite problem. For me, I always go above my set limit. I can't seem to get below it. I would love to have your problem. And how do you burn that many calories when you go to the gym?! That's amazing. I would suggest eating healthy, calorie heavy foods. Like butter and milk for instance.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I often had trouble getting enough calories in when I exercise, but my problem was that I had to eat all of my exercise calories to lose weight.

(I know this after several weeks of not losing anything when I exercised, and didnt eat my exercise calories, then I ate some then I ate all and thats when I was losing weight.)

So now, I don't really exercise a lot each day so that I eat my exercise calories. Everyone is different, but I would suggest eating a mini breakfast before exercising and then eating a regular breakfast a few hours later and go along your day.

Just remember that everyone is different and you have to find your own balance.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Nuts are high calorie and good for you. i could eat 1000 calories of nuts in just a few minutes, although that's a bad idea.
  • netty
    Options
    Some days I am under 1200. I would say I am stuck at a plateau. I'm exercising more than I was previously and the weight isn't coming off like I expected. I just really want to get my eating down to a science. It's what I struggle with the most. I cut out fast foods, I watch my carbs/sugar/fat/ intakes. I think I don't eat enough because I'm worried about eating too much :ohwell: Also even though I don't eat all my calories I'm not hungry.
  • netty
    Options
    I'm not sure how you have that problem. I'm pretty sure most other people have the opposite problem. For me, I always go above my set limit. I can't seem to get below it. I would love to have your problem. And how do you burn that many calories when you go to the gym?! That's amazing. I would suggest eating healthy, calorie heavy foods. Like butter and milk for instance.

I do the elliptical for about 10-15 min, then I do the stationary bike for about the same time. Then I do strength training
  • netty
    Options
    Nuts are high calorie and good for you. i could eat 1000 calories of nuts in just a few minutes, although that's a bad idea.

So can I, which is why I try to stay away from them
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What kind of things do you usually eat?
  • netty
    Options

Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    egg whites
    protein shakes
    weight watchers multigrain bread
    chicken breast
    brown rice
    salad
    string cheese
    Fiber one cereal
    trader joe organic cereals
    strawberries
  • TByrd1325
    Options
    Hmm.
    Well I'm not sure about the calories in your bread, but you could try a higher calorie wheat bread. Adding bananas or some fruit to your oatmeal.
    Kraft has shredded fatfree cheese with 2carbs and 9grams protein you could sprinkle on things.
    IDK if you like yogurt, but that's a yummy, light snack.
  • netty
    Options
    Hmm.
    Well I'm not sure about the calories in your bread, but you could try a higher calorie wheat bread. Adding bananas or some fruit to your oatmeal.
    Kraft has shredded fatfree cheese with 2carbs and 9grams protein you could sprinkle on things.
    IDK if you like yogurt, but that's a yummy, light snack.

The calories in the bread are low but its low in carbs and sugar which is why I choose it. I love yogurt but I've been avoiding it because of the sugar. I'm going to just add little things here and there through out the day so get in my calories:smile:
  • TByrd1325
    Options
    Understandable. I have a hard time balancing out everything.
    Good luck!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Netty-

You should not eat less than 1200 calories a day unless under a doctor's orders. I went to a weight loss clinic years ago and that was one of the things he told us. It was a Fit for Life program and I'm back on it now ( I kept the weight off from my early 20's until my early 40s).

If you buy good yogurt with active cultures I wouldn't worry about the sugar with everything else your eating. Plus a small thing of yogurt could be a snack for you or even dessert. It might be just enough to put you up over 1200 calories per day.

I agree on the nuts. But what you can do is buy the prepackaged ones (cashews or peanuts) and have one pack per day as a snack.

I'm going to ask our nutritionist tomorrow about this and let you know if she says anything more.

JAM
  • mystasia
    mystasia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Some days I am under 1200. I would say I am stuck at a plateau. I'm exercising more than I was previously and the weight isn't coming off like I expected. I just really want to get my eating down to a science. It's what I struggle with the most. I cut out fast foods, I watch my carbs/sugar/fat/ intakes. I think I don't eat enough because I'm worried about eating too much :ohwell: Also even though I don't eat all my calories I'm not hungry.

Hi, I will say for me that I was eating 1000-1100 calories a day and exercising and lost no weight. I am trying to eat more now and I will see next Sunday if it has paid off. So your plateau might be because of not eating enough. Try googling eating 1200 calories and not loosing weight, there is tons of information on how that may not be enough to not be in starvatin mode, especially if you are working out more.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    egg whites
    protein shakes
    weight watchers multigrain bread
    chicken breast
    brown rice
    salad
    string cheese
    Fiber one cereal
    trader joe organic cereals
    strawberries
    Try adding some healthy fats and there's nothing wrong with a few whole eggs a week. Nuts, natural nut butters, avocado, olive oil, etc. Cheese, and it doesn't have to be non fat, in moderation is fine too. You said you are exercising more and at a plateau. It is because you are not eating enough, especially with all that exercise. Cut out some of your exercise if it's hard for you to eat enough.