what is the best exercise for weight loss?

Options
I am going to start a gym membership with my SIL this week, but need to know what is the most effective exercise for actual Weight loss and muscle building? I don't want to go to the gym and just goof around on the machines with no real results or my motivation will go away REALLY fast.

Replies

• emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but what has worked for me has been cardio! I do Zumba 5 days a week and Turbo for 2 days, 71 pounds down. I need to add strength training actually but I'm not sure how. Good luck! :)
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've never joined a gym and I've managed to lose around 110 lbs! I run and workout here at home.:happy:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Any!

But given choices, things that get your heart rate above 130. Swimming, running, biking or calisthenics. Add to that some basic strength training, and you'll win. These are things you can do at many gyms. Take a class, or play a sport.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I was reading a magazine article with Jillian Michaels and they asked her what she did for fitness and she said she runs everyday "because its what keeps me skinny". That quote stuck with me considering she sells workout videos doing other things. lol

Kickboxing is the best class you can take for buring calories. Body Pump is great to push you to lift more weights than you would do on your own.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptial. Great calorie burn with low impact on your joints. Mostly pick something that you like and that will keep you engaged and coming back for more...
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My gym has zumba but each instructor teaches a different intensity class.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have the best Answer !!!!!

the best exercise for losing weight is the one YOU LOVE TO DO, THAT'S THE BEST ONE
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    There is no one-size-fits-all. But, typically, something cardio will lead to faster weight loss, because you burn calories faster. Running, stepping, Zumba, whatever. Especially the HIT. But cardio is not the best for muscle building. Cardio tends to build stamina, which requires longer, leaner muscle. In contrast, lifting builds muscle mass faster.

It just depends on your goals.

Really, though, it is about the combo of what exercise you can maintain, and whether you can coordinate that with keeping your calorie intake under control.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    what is the best exercise for weight loss?

One you enjoy doing.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The one you do consistently and are willing to commit to do regularly for the rest of your life.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Getting on the treadmill is good, then going and lifting or something.. The elliptical is my all time favorite!!
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options

the best exercise for losing weight is the one YOU LOVE TO DO, THAT'S THE BEST ONE

This. :)
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy walking because i suck at running and feel way too self-conscious doing it. But if you like going to the gym, the ellipitcal is great.

Good luck no matter what you choose!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit, not exercise per se.

Muscle building comes from lifting heavy and calorie surplus.

While on a deficit, lifting heavy and maintaining good macros will preserve your existing muscle mass as much as possible.

So, most likely what you really want to do right now is eat a balanced diet at a moderate deficit and lift weights. There is a so-called beginner's effect too that a lot of people experience where they actually gain a small bit of muscle mass even while in deficit. If that happens, consider it a bonus. After your body fat is down to a reasonable level, you can consider bulking (adding lean mass).
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy the most... that is the best one...
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    All exercise is good. Zumba is great and belly dancing which I do both. At the gym I do the air walker, treadmill, rowing machine and sometimes the exercise bike. For my muscle i use the leg press, I also use the pull down machine and chest press. Good luck with what exercise you go for:bigsmile:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you're new to exercise (or returning to it), I would say that the most effective exercise, is the one you enjoy and will stick with. There are better and worse combinations of cardio and strength training, but ultimately, it only works if you'll stick with it.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    the kind you'll stick to!
    But seriously, find cardio workouts you enjoy and will stick to that keep your heart rate up
    add in some strength training a few days a week to build muscle.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is anything that gets your heart rate up and you enjoy doing enough that you'll keep doing it. Try some different classes and cardio machines. Just whatever you do, make sure you're working hard enough. If you're able to chit chat while you're doing it, you aren't working hard enough!
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Totally true.:)