tips on starting to jog

Options
I was wondering what tips everyone had on starting to jog. The hardest part for me is my breathing. It's not that my legs are really tired it's that I can't catch my breath!!! Any tips?

I also have one other question: for the past couple of years one of my knees has bothered me off and on. It's not joint pain but it feels like my leg retains water and feels so swollen like it will just snap in two when I try and bend it. When I'm working out for the day it gets easier but still always feels tight in my knee. I thought it just might be due to my weight but even after losing 40 pounds it still bothers me. It's not a constant thing, just have flare ups once in awhile. Has anyone else had this problem? Thinking of maybe seeing a dr or buying a knee brace. Any suggestions?
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post the same topic! My extra question was, does anybody know of any good free mp3 downloads for jogging/running?

Will look forward to hearing replies :)
  • catweimer
    catweimer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have tips for both! for the mp3 downloads - go look for podrunner. He does some great mixes that vary in terms of beats per minute - so you can find one that lets you run at a pace that's comfortable for you (or just a little bit faster).

In terms of starting to jog, I'm a huge fan of the couch to 5k series, if you can find it online. Intervals are your friend - so run for as long as you can, then walk until you catch your breath. I focus a *lot* on my breathing - I count beats in (and breathe in through my nose) and beats out. Trying to keep it even and calm really seems to help me.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    if you can't breathe, you need to slow down. It is simple but most people do this wrong at first.

In regards to the knee, well fitted shoes and strength training will normally do the trick. Start there.
  • shazza069
    shazza069 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi

Ive just completed couch 2 5k and its an amazing feeling to do your 1st 5k run! I still consider myself a beginner but the best advice I can give is You dont have to spend hundreds but make sure you get a good fitting, comfortable trainer (it might even make a difference to your knee) Ive also found a great site 'the running bug' beginners to very experienced runners with loads of tips and excellent advice.

As for the free mp3 music i'm not sure, I just trawl through my CD's for good running tracks and add to my iphone.

Good luck, you will have good days and bad days but keep going, ive dropped 2 dress sizes since I started running, thats what keeps me going :)