Camping

Options

Replies

• Powergirl123
    Options
    try those 65 calorie beers i dont drink myself.. but i heard they are satisfying
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    You can always grill out seafood-fish, shrimp, scollops, etc are low calorie and greal grilled. Grilled veggies, like zucchini.
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    all I have to say is..."What happens at camp stays at camp!"

Lol :laugh:
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    We just went camping last weekend. I took all kinds of fruits and veggies for snacks, but when it came to a hot dog over the campfire.... those are my all time favorite way to eat them.... I had just one. I haven't had any processed sugar for over a month, but I couldn't turn down a smore... funny thing I only ate half cuz it tasted funny. This entire journey is learning to eat the foods we love in moderation. I say enjoy yourself, and do an extra lap or two in the lake.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    we do chicken turtles when camping - a peice of tin foil with a chicken breast and whatever veggies you want fold up and stick on the edge of the fire or on the grill rack - also granola bars a handy and like others said if you are hiking alot while camping you'll be burning calories so enjoy some food :) Most straight liquers vodka, honey bourbon (really good), rum straight are lower in cals then mixed liquers.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Like the song...SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    try those 65 calorie beers i dont drink myself.. but i heard they are satisfying

I think they taste like a poor excuse for yucky water.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I honestly went camping a couple of weekends ago. While I was faced with TONS of numnumnummy food, I was surprised at how little of it I could actually eat!

We did do some cabbage cut up with kielbasa and potatoes and grilled in foil packets, which isn't too bad (replace with turkey smoked sausage maybe?), and my kids DEVOURED it.

Enjoy and eat in moderation! Don't weigh yourself for 2-3 days when you get back, as it won't be accurate. Then resume life and enjoy the memories made! Have fun!
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    One shot of tequila. 69 calories.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I ususally dont drink while camping. I can never pitch a tent while drunk!

I've only been so drunk that I could not pitch a tent once....

Oh I hope this works.... I'm stealing off the web.

373009_142617772506309_1708920389_n.jpg

Crap. It's so much funnier if it works right THE FIRST TIME.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping in a couple of weeks for the weekend, and I've already decided that I'm not going to worry about trying to track those three days, or trying to eat super healthy. I know I'm going to be doing a ton of walking, playing various sports with my family and other activities, so it will probably come close to evening out anyway.

The only major things I will be changing over past years is that I will drink a TON of water, and I won't have any of the candy that will inevitably be there. :)

If you camp a lot, I would definitely say it's a good idea to change a lot of what you bring to eat to accomodate your new lifestyle, but if it's special, I wouldn't put too much worry into it :)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago when we went camping and had the typical hotdog/hamburger meals, I made a burger and instead of the bun I used lettuce leaves - saving my cals for beer or wine (I was drinking Miller 64 or wine).

We did a lot of activities and that helped earn some cals back. I limited myself to 1 s'more and made sure to chug the water.

I had a slight gain.... I didn't keep the drinking to under cals... but had a blast!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your husband's list of food to take is pretty unfriendly to a diet. That said, one weekend won't derail you, especially if you don't overeat.

We went camping last weekend and took shish kebabs. Marinated the beef and skewered everything to put in the cooler before we left. Tasty, healthy, and SO freaking easy (no condiments necessary)

But yeah we did drink a lot of beer LOL
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would eat a hamburger with some grilled vegetables and baked beans. I also buy a package of chicken sausages when others grill hot dogs. For alcohol, I take a bottle of wine (sometimes I mix it with club soda). When it comes to camping, I think that portion control is harder for me than what I eat. When there are bags of chips laying around everywhere, that's my weakness. Just try to be mindful of how much you eat and have a good time!
  • kmharder
    kmharder Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey There,
    I totally understand where you are coming from, we usually "float down the river" a few times a year which involves camping; booze, beer, and all the fun camping food that goes along with it. The major thing I had to remember was what do I want to partake in more? The beer or the food? I found that I can really keep the food in moderation; pack lots of easy to get at: chopped fruits and veggies...
    If s'mores are a weakness for you there are low fat/high fiber bars that takes IDENTICAL to s'mores for under 100 calories and keep you more full longer because of the high fiber content of them...
    With the Beer....that's another story...either way your slice it, it can amount to a lot of calories...If you enjoy vodka, may I recommend a Kettle One & soda with a pinch of lime = Delightful... If you choose to drink beer, try and go for a "light" version; bud light, Coors light etc...or if you are focused on low-carb, a Michelob ultra with a lime slice will do the trick.
    Another often fun treat for adults are Jello-shots...with those; stick to sugar free Jello and a CLEAR liquor...nothing with "pucker" or "cream de... whatever" in the title, those will give you unnecessary empty calories for even how small of a shot they are.

And finally, take a long walk in the morning, or a run...whatever you are more comfortable with. I found that the more I limited myself or banned myself from the things that I wanted to have, the more I would be grumpy or binge on something later. Don't feel bad if you partake in something that you enjoy... Make-up for it later

Have a great time!
  • Ghostpoo
    Ghostpoo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I used to do the old hamburgers/hotdogs, etc when we camped (and yes, tented over an open fire). We finally figured out that if you can cook those over a campfire, you can cook anything!

Now we marinate chicken breasts and freeze them. That way by the time everything starts to defrost, they are ready to cook. We have done minute rice as well, as you only need to boil the water and then set aside. We normally cook kabobs too. Pita bread and some hummus as a side. Yumm-o!

But, you have to have eggs and bacon for breakfast. That's just camp rules :) And, of course, have a hotdog.
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Can i just ask please what a s'more is?
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Y'all are awesome! Too many good posts to reply to them all but I have some pretty good ideas to make this trip successful (maybe not successful in terms of weightloss, but at least less damaging than it would've been prior to my post :devil: )!

I had to lol at the post about not being too good at putting up a tent drunk. I have actually slept ON the tent! bahahaha my friends and I had too many drinks and there were too many poles! good times! :embarassed:

A s'more is when you take a marshmellow and roast it over the fire then put it inbetween two graham crackers with a hershey's chocolate square. It's pretty bomb but probably 150 calories each (and you could never have just one)! Where are you from?
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I also love camping but the high cal food sucks! THis past weekend I bought turkey wieners, turkey burgers (wrapped in lettuce rather than in buns) I drink ultra light beer and alternate with water. Good luck!!
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Rum and coke you can't go wrong at about 70 calories a pop and it doesn't take that many to get you buzzing...