Biking gloves at Spin class?

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
A girl wore biking gloves at the Spin class on Sunday. Is that... necessary ?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I guess if it helps one get into the mood...
    I don't see any real reason for it, normally.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    i sweat so much when i spin, i would never want to wear anything ... extra.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This makes me giggle :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's as important as hand wraps in body combat class
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    For the sweat I guess.. I used to keep a towel on the bars.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Was she wearing a helmet and sunglasses too?

Seriously though........ perhaps she feels discomfort from the pressure on the palms of her hands and the padding in the gloves helps alleviate that.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    This makes me giggle :)

HmmmI would question weather she maybe a female Duetsch Bank employee
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Probably no more necessary than my weight lifting gloves. But I don't get those little half moon callouses on my hands.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am sure she is wearing them to help combat the pressure which causes numbness in your hands. I am pretty sure she isn't making a fashion statement. And as far as sweat....they aid with that too
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think that my first impression is it's silly, and they would definitely make my hands sweat MORE, but she may genuinely have a better experience with them. So I probably wouldn't judge someone for that
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It might be a good opportunity to make a friend by asking. ;)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my friend uses them during spin class and she says her hands sweat less. :)

**edited to say spin, not skin. lol.
  • leggi002
    leggi002 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The handlebars on our bikes are not smooth, and when my hands start to sweat I get blisters on my hands which quickly ruin a good ride. The gloves make my hands sweat more, but they keep me from getting the blisters.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    I get blisters when I ride a bike without them. Spinning would be the same thing. Not to mention those who have germ phobias. I hate to touch anything at the gym without gloves, I don't know about you.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Seen it too, but same as using gloves for rowing..helps stop callousses on longer sessions....personally i man up!
  • Heidihomelinda
    Heidihomelinda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The fact she is in a spin class is awesome - she could wear a Tutu and still get props for being there :)
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    For the record, I box without handwraps. Yes, it bothers me - I think it's pretentious to wear gloves at Spin.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For the record, I box without handwraps. Yes, it bothers me - I think it's pretentious to wear gloves at Spin.

You do a boxing class without handwraps, or you actually box without them?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't do spin class, but I my hands get numb on long rides without gloves. Being in a spin class would not change that condition, so I would probably wear my biking gloves in a spin class.

As far as weight lifting gloves. I used to be the "Manly Man don't need no stinkin gloves guy". Till a dead lift shredded most of the skin off the grip part of both my hands. Now I wear gloves.

I've noticed with fitness equipment. If you don't know why you need it, you don't need it...until you do, and it's only then you realize why people do things that you think are silly.