Weekends Kill My Diet!

Options
Ok I need some help --- I am so disciplined through the week with what I eat and logging my food, but I can not for the life of me understand why I let it go when Saturday morning comes around. I eat like crap on Saturday and Sunday and now come Monday morning I feel guilty that I do that to myself. How do you keep focus on the weekends? :sad:

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My last 3 days have been a disaster too! :grumble: better get back on track and hopefully I wont put any on!:tongue:
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Have you tried logging your foods for Saturday on Friday night before you go to bed? That might help you stay on track some.

Also, do you plan for some meal or day when you have a "free day"? Saturday lunch or dinner is usually my meal that I don't worry about calories. I will have some meal or treat I've been craving all week. It helps me really stay on track the rest of the week, and then I get Sunday to get back on track. Maybe if you give yourself permissions to not count some meal on Saturday, it might help you stay more in control the rest of the weekend?

Good luck! You can do it!

-Alison
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree about having a cheat meal. It really helps me stay focused and I know I have something to look forward to at the same time. One meal really won't do that much damage, and you can just work out a little longer on the day you plan to have your cheat meal. That way there really is no guilt attached! (Just as long as you don't go crazy with it, of course. lol)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're calling it a "diet" might be part of the problem too.
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i have a cheat day...:bigsmile: i think you need it..i have been doing a cheat day for a long time now and the nexted day i'm right back on track and i love doing it...need to have some fun with my kids
  • lahollis
    Options
    I agree that it helps to fill in the meal before you eat it. If I have already done this I will stick closer to what I have entered because I don't want to go back in and change it. Especially if we are going out to eat. I research the restaurant and enter meal and that is what I order.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    You can get rid of the guilt if you don't think of your eating style as a diet...
    Also, take a whole day and eat what you'd like...it won't mess you up. it's part of living a normal healthy life. You will find that if you've eaten pretty good all week, your body won't really go overboard anyhow.
    and even if you do, you'll be fine.

Cindy
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I think it's also easy to "lose focus" on the weekends because unlike the work-week they're not as structured. if you're like me you're catching up on a million things and running all over the place on the weekends. and we tend to go out to eat more often on weekends - sometimes spontaneously because we're out and about and hungry. I think having mealplans for dinner on the weekends helps. If I know that I've planned to cook something and the meat is thawed or whatever then I'm less likely to say the heck with it and go crazy at a restaurant.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It might be that you sleep in longer on the weekends than you do the weekday - and therefore go much longer without food throughout the night. When you wake up your starving and more likely to eat and over eat. Get up early and do your workout - you can always take an afternoon nap :)
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    These are some great ideas... I too BLOW my weekends and then feel I am only catching up during the week to just maintain and I haven't been lossing....

Thanks for adding this link. I found it very helpful!!!!

Keep up the good work
    God Bless
  • kbglazier
    kbglazier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do horrible on the weekends too, mostly from going out to dinner with friends and drinking alcohol, or attending weekend parties with little finger foods and cocktails. I'm up two pounds from the weekend! It's very distressing to think that just because I want to have a normal activity like 2 martinis on a Friday night with my husband can kill my diet so much!
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    find a sporty hobby.

i dont get to spend much time with my horse during the week as I work during the day and go to the stables for about 2 hours only in the evenings after work. but weekends i spend at the stables almost all day.

a) i am getting quite some exercise by mucking out and riding
    and
    b) i dont have much time to eat crap if I am keeping myself that busy

i eat fruit for breakfast on the way to the stables and then a quick healthy lunch (salad or similar), another fruit in the afternoon and in the evening i am usually so tired i either dont eat at all, or I cannot be bothered to cook something so have a salad again or soup. in fact since i got my horse, i started losing weight regularly and i dont ruin the hard work during the week and sticking to calories by binging at the weekend on pizza, curry, ice creams, cakes,...

so get a hobby that keeps you busy and gets you out and about at weekends. :flowerforyou:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I never worry about my weekends. Those days I try to eat healthfully but I don't track my calories. I know that I'll eat or drink at least one thing a day that I wouldn't normally.
    Friday: I start my weekends on Friday nights...we had BBQ (I don't eat meat-so I ended up having fried okra, french fries, corn bread, squash, corn on the cob, and peach cobbler)
    Saturday: I ate a serving of nacho cheese doritos (I only eat chips on the weekends)
    Sunday: I had 1 beer and 1 glass of wine (I don't usually have alcohol during the work week)
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Ok I need some help --- I am so disciplined through the week with what I eat and logging my food, but I can not for the life of me understand why I let it go when Saturday morning comes around. I eat like crap on Saturday and Sunday and now come Monday morning I feel guilty that I do that to myself. How do you keep focus on the weekends? :sad:

Does not sound like you enjoy the food you are eating mon-fri..If you did you would enjoy eating them on sat-sun. Seems like you can't wait to get to the weekends to let loose. What you eat, how you prepare your meals can make all the difference in your success in achieving your goals. I know a bodybuilder who is a chef. He lost alot of weight over the years. An incredible transformation. He uses the word "transformation" Any food or meal you enjoy can be transformed in to a healthy version you can enjoy.

When I started dieting I did not like the food I ate, so it was a drag. I eventually started putting in the effort to find the way to make everything I eat something I truely enjoy. Now the nutritious foods I eat are all I want to eat. Even when I have cheat meals I make healthy versions. I just make the foods so tasty there is no reason to eat anything else.:)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're calling it a "diet" might be part of the problem too.

dude its all semantics! everyone on here says that, as if saying a word changes things, it doesn't. it just exemplifies how we have been socialized into dieting. but really, it isn't calling it a diet that is bad.

it is good to have a well balanced "diet", so there is nothing wrong with the word. i'm sure she is trying to turn this into a lifestyle.

grrr! everyone on here does it, i just had to get that outta there!
  • charriso
    Options
    Thank You Everyone for the great advice and support. I really appreciate everyone that took the time to reply. :happy: