food & workouts

Options
Just curious what others do - eat before you workout or after (for early morning workouts). I have heard "always eat before" and "best to workout before you eat"... ? confused as to what is best.

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I don't workout in the morning but I normally have a pre worokout protein bar around 200 calories before my workout and my protein shake right after (210) calories, i would assume eating before a workout is for energy and eating after is to fuel your muscles
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning most of the time, and eat breakfast afterwards. I try to make breakfast protein rich. I don't eat before I go...makes me a little nauseated.
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I eat something small before I go and a regular healthy breakfast like a protein shake or egg white omlette after.
  • avocadOHH
    avocadOHH Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depending on what time of the day you're working out, what you should or could eat will probably be different. For example, if you're working out later in the day you want something that will keep you sustained throughout your workout and keep you from gorging afterwards like an apple with peanut butter or a salad with some protein. Even just some nuts and a hard boiled egg or two. Try to choose foods that won't be heavy but will give you energy to get you through your workout. Also, they say that your biggest meal of the day should be your post workout meal. If you're working out really early, I would say try some fruit (bananas are great because they are loaded with potassium and help with protein synthesis AND are a resistant starch) and an english muffin with almond or peanut butter (fiber one makes great english muffins with a good amount of fiber). Post workout you should have lean protein and some carbohydrates for energy. Personally, I like tuna, chicken or tofu with any kind of green (kale, spinach or spring mix) and some crackers for crunch. Hope this helps.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning most of the time, and eat breakfast afterwards. I try to make breakfast protein rich. I don't eat before I go...makes me a little nauseated.

This ^

Eating more than a piece of fruit before makes me sick
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I get up @ 5:15am & do a video (usually JM) without eating. After workout I eat a banana then go for a 2 to 4 mile walk. I eat breakfast after my walk.
  • Redskins76
    Redskins76 Posts: 68
    Options
    If I workout early in the morning I normally don't eat( I workout better on an empty stomach early in the morning)
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    I don't workout in the morning but I normally have a pre worokout protein bar around 200 calories before my workout and my protein shake right after (210) calories, i would assume eating before a workout is for energy and eating after is to fuel your muscles
    ^ This for me too.I don't have time first thing in the morning anymore but when I used to I would have a piece of toast or something light and eat more after working out.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before early morning workouts but when I have to teach Zumba in the evening
    I normally eat a piece of fruit or a granola bar.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    On my days off from work, I have a fruit smoothie. Then a half hour later I have a Greek yogurt. I get myself ready then go to the gym or ride my bike.
    On my work days, I graze all day and stop grazing about an hour before I know I'll be done with work. Head home. Change. Workout.

I don't want to work out on a full stomach. I think it would make me sick. But I don't want it to be completely empty. I want just a little something in there.

Post workout, I have a protein shake. Shower. Then get started on a meal.
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I was just told by my Friday morning trainer (Or rather quite agressively berrated) about not eating before working out. He said at minimum a piece of fruit, but you should aim for a bowl of porridge. I have found in the past eating before working out can make me feel nausea so I have stuck with a piece of fruit before working out for the last week and I think I feel more awake and alert after my sessions now instead of sleepy and tired.