brown rice

Options
deniseearheart
deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
Does anyone have a perfect recipe for brown rice??? I am a great cook but I can not master this one!!!!! Even following the directions on the bag it comes out not entirely cooked or over cooked :sad: HELP

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    yea....brown rice takes practice...

my strategy is use slightly less water than the directions or boil more water out of it..

another strategy is to add 1/4 white rice...

I'd love to hear other people's strategy
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have also had this problem and given up!! i buy organic brown rice from trader joes already cooked!!!!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Yes, I have also had this problem and given up!! i buy organic brown rice from trader joes already cooked!!!!

Already cooked?

THAT's CHEATING
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Found this one line and the author says it's fool-proof...

1. Wash rice three times or until water runs clear to remove starch which makes rice boil over

2. Put rice in a large bowl and add 4 parts water to 1 part rice.
    (1 cup rice / 4 cups water 1/2 cup rice / 2 cups water, 1/3 cup rice / 1 1/3 cups water, etc)

3. Cover and microwave until water boils (8 - 10 minutes depending on microwave)

4. CAREFULLY remove cover (there's a lot of hot steam in there)

5. Microwave uncovered 20 minutes or until most of water is absorbed

6. Remove from microwave, cover and let sit until remaining water, if any, is absorbed
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    A rice cooker! You can get a small one for under $20 a must have IMO. It cooks the rice perfect for you every time.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Rice cooker or steamer!
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Ya I could try it with less ... also suppose I could get a rice cooker!!!!!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Found this one line and the author says it's fool-proof...

1. Wash rice three times or until water runs clear to remove starch which makes rice boil over

2. Put rice in a large bowl and add 4 parts water to 1 part rice.
    (1 cup rice / 4 cups water 1/2 cup rice / 2 cups water, 1/3 cup rice / 1 1/3 cups water, etc)

3. Cover and microwave until water boils (8 - 10 minutes depending on microwave)

4. CAREFULLY remove cover (there's a lot of hot steam in there)

5. Microwave uncovered 20 minutes or until most of water is absorbed

6. Remove from microwave, cover and let sit until remaining water, if any, is absorbed

TY!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Rice Cooker doesn't always work that well...

Maybe the rice cooker I have sucks at cooking brown rice...

it does white rice hella good...takes like the asian sticky rice when I make it..

yummy
  • princess4mimi
    Options
    I too have pretty much given up on brown rice...
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

it does white rice hella good...takes like the asian sticky rice when I make it..

yummy
    Hmmm I have a cheap one and it works great for white or brown (and quinoa)...but I also have the small version I wonder if that matters.
  • Sammylightner
    Sammylightner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal on brown rice, put 2 cups of rice soaking in water for about 20 mins to 30 mins to soften the rice. Now put the 2 cups rice and add 5 cups to boil. You can use butter or olive oil for taste. You can also use low sodium chicken broth instead of water for better taste. I like to shred carrots into the rice when done or any veggie of your choice. Well bonappete :)
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

yummy
    Hmmm I have a cheap one and it works great for white or brown (and quinoa)...but I also have the small version I wonder if that matters.

I need to get a new rice cooker..

Quinoa is another grain I am about to get into
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Already cooked?

THAT's CHEATING

Cheating yes.. but i dont care!!! im not wasting a bunch of rice that doesnt cook properly!!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    QUOTE:

Already cooked?

THAT's CHEATING

Cheating yes.. but i dont care!!! im not wasting a bunch of rice that doesnt cook properly!!

TRUE!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Here's the deal on brown rice, put 2 cups of rice soaking in water for about 20 mins to 30 mins to soften the rice. Now put the 2 cups rice and add 5 cups to boil. You can use butter or olive oil for taste. You can also use low sodium chicken broth instead of water for better taste. I like to shred carrots into the rice when done or any veggie of your choice. Well bonappete :)

How many people does this feed?

Good lawd
  • eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is a fool proof way to cook brown rice. Alton Brown's baked brown rice from foodnetwork.com. I use it and it comes out perfect everytime!

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
  • deniseearheart
    Options

How many people does this feed?

Good lawd

Lol!!! I suppose you could freeze what you don't eat
  • nineandout
    Options
    What works for me is to cook it exactly like pasta. Put the rice in a pot with A LOT of water...just like pasta. It boils/simmers for maybe 35 min or so? But take a few grains out and bite into it. You can tell when its done. Then strain in a seive. It really is the easiest for me. Hope it helps.
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    some good advice with the microwaving post will try that, i tend to leave mine soaking overnight and it defo helps alot when cooking, you never get that hard raw taste to it!