HRM

Options
I heard a HRM can help you keep count of your calories burned more accurately. I dont know how it works but is that true?

Which HRM is best to buy? Expensive?

Replies

• jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    HRM calorie counts are based off a formula that factors in at least your age & weight. It's about the best estimate you're likely to get, but it's still an estimate. :)

Polar HRMs seem to be the most popular. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B0035XOYH4

If you're running / jogging / walking and want to include distance, then you might want something that does GPS tracking.

I use the Polar H7 HRM (chest belt), connected to my iPhone via the Digifit app, which uses the phone's built-in GPS.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot of other posts on this... if you don't get some good feedback - do a search on the forums for HRM...

From what I recall; a lot of ppl use the Polar HRM's. I've got a Polar FT-4, I believe... and I use it to track calories burned and the time I've worked out. It's nice; it's basic. No fancy bells & whisles... and it cost me about $70 at Big 5 Sporting Goods.

More expensive ones have other programs and options on them... some with pedometers; etc.

Good luck :)
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F11. Great investment.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT7!
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT-7. It has a chest band and links to a wrist watch. For GPS, I use mapmyfitness.com for cycling and my RunDouble Couch25k app for my Android.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have the Zephyr HxM it connects via bluetooth with either an android or blackberry phone. I use it my HTC EVO with Endomondo Sports Tracker app.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something to give a calories burned estimate across the whole day, outside your workouts, the Fitbit is awesome. Or even including your workouts if they're steps-based like running, walking, dancing, etc. It doesn't track things well with resistance or on a device like a bike.

If you want to know just what your workouts burn, a HRM is nice. It's also a great tool for learning to do interval workouts properly and just to gauge how hard you're working in general, by getting familiar with your HR zones. They're a little uncomfortable in that they use a strap around your chest. The Fitbit just clips to your clothes.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Definately. You need one with a chest strap. They are typically made for men and women (smaller). Love my HRM. Polar FT4. Watch Amazon for sales. Follow the instructions. Enjoy!
  • MissRemmers
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've been thinking about this too! Let me know which you decide on!
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar Fit and I love it!
  • Ed_81
    Ed_81 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love my cardiosport combi C2, I track my workouts with it, and I wear it all the time as a watch because it looks nice too :)
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 seems to be the most popular (which i use) followed by polar FT7 which does a bit more but also costs a bit more
    FT4 gives you calories burned, time in zone, ave HR and max HR and stores your last 10 workouts
    Im so happy i bought mine:bigsmile:
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. It's great!