Fitbit Questions

Options
I have had the Fitbit for several months, but just started syncing it with My Fitness Pal. I have some questions though. When I exercise, should I manually enter them into My Fitness Pal and or the Fitbit website? It seems to be syncing info from my Fitbit info to MFP, but not the total amount of calories are transferring over. Like today, I walked 5 miles and burned 314 calories (according tot he Fitbit website). The only "exercise" that showed up on MFP was a 212 Fitbit adjustment. So, I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I know the bottom line is calories in needs to be less than calories out so I have been watching that carefully to make sure I am not going over on my daily calories. I am sure there are detailed instructions on MFP somewhere, but I can't find them. If someone has been using Fitbit with MFP, I would appreciate some instructions or tell me where to get more details on the MFP website.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    to keep the sites from getting confused, and to prevent "double dipping", ONLY log food and workouts on MFP. It will sync with fitbit, and fitbit will show that it got info from MFP.

For example....when I do strength...the fitbit only knows that I have walked from machine to machine...so I log 20 minutes of "strength training" under cardio. It overwrites that time period on the fitbit log to show the calories I told it I burned. Same thing with my elliptical time--MFP asks what time I did it, and how long, so it tells fitbit that I burned 200 calories from 1030-11am.

the adjustments are from when you burn more calories, or are more active than fitbit expects you to be. it is sort of like exercise calories on MFP. Does this make any sense?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i log on both this site and the fitbit site. i see which one burned MORE cals and delete it. it seems the activities never burn the same amount for me so i go by the lower number.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I log food on MFP only and exercise on FItBit and for most of my activity I rely on FitBits estimate

If I walk intensely wearing a heart monitor, I may use that to overide FitBIt and enter the time, miles and calories

If you do intense calorie burn activity of exercise FitBIt cannot "feel" you may want to enter overrides
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I log food on MFP only and exercise on FItBit and for most of my activity I rely on FitBits estimate

If I walk intensely wearing a heart monitor, I may use that to overide FitBIt and enter the time, miles and calories

If you do intense calorie burn activity of exercise FitBIt cannot "feel" you may want to enter overrides

for me personally, I log the numbers on the machine, not what MFP says I *should* have burned 288 cal from 20 minutes of elliptical, but the machine says 200cal, so I log 200cal.. I have read that fitbit does not accurately sense elliptical workouts....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    info to MFP, but not the total amount of calories are transferring over. Like today, I walked 5 miles and burned 314 calories (according tot he Fitbit website). The only "exercise" that showed up on MFP was a 212 Fitbit adjustment. So, I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

MFP already assumes you'll burn a certain amount of calories a day and gives you credit for it. The 212 is what you earned ABOVE that #...
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    If you didn't manually log any exercise, it would make sense that you only got a Fitbit Adjustment...you are not doing anything wrong. Here is how the Fit/MFP partnership works:

First, check to make sure you have the same info on both sites (height, weight, cal goal). Next, go to MFP-My Home-Goals-and check what MFP says you will burn from normal daily activity. This includes any exercise you chose when you figured out your goal (sedentary-no exercise, lightly active, moderate, etc.). Any time you are projected to burn more than that number according to Fitbit, it will send over a Fitbit Adjustment. The tough part is that Fitbit is always changing depending on how active you are during the day. So, you may have a huge adjustment at one point in the day, but a small one later in the day. Does that make sense?

I kept getting huge Fitbit Adjustments, so I went in and upped my activity level on MFP. Now I only get them when I have a hard workout day.

Good luck!!
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How does fitbit track sleep and such? I saw that as a feature but it seems a little odd.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    How does fitbit track sleep and such? I saw that as a feature but it seems a little odd.

You wear it on your non-dominant wrist and it tracks your movements while you sleep. Assuming I guess, that if you are moving around then you are not having quality sleep.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

it is worn on a soft wristband during the night. It assumes that BIG movements, such as rolling over in bed, are not done while you are in the deepest sleep level--so that is counted as a "wake up". It seems pretty accurate for me--when I feel like I have had a crappy night of sleep, it will show that I woke up 15 times and only had like 30 minutes between wake ups. When I feel like I have had a great night of sleep, I will look and see that I didn't move for 5 hours, then tossed a few times over 2 hours.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.....
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If you don'r do the sleep thing - the FirBir calories will be off and too high

If you aren't walking or sleep it assumes you are awake but not very active and that's a higher calorie burn than lying down sleeping
  • gingah73
    gingah73 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you for asking this and for all of the great answers/info. I'm going to need this soon!

Bump for later...
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've got a question I haven't seen an answer to, and a cursory search for "fitbit" and "elliptical" in the groups didn't turn up anything.

I've been using my Fitbit while on the elliptical/crossramp machines at the gym, and hit the timer button just before I start. It does come pretty close to the total mileage I put in, although it's usually about 1/3-1/2 mile short of what I actually did. I put the calories burned (from the machine, which I always input my age/weight into) into MFP and they transfer over to the Fitbit site.

Here's my question: is there any way to accurately determine how resistance factors into the mileage/floors? I do the interval program on the machine (Precor), usually a 45 minute program w/ a 5 minute cool-down (3.4 miles or so; I just started so I'm still really out of shape) on crossramp 4/resistance 1. The intervals go up to crossramp 10/resistance 8, then back down to crossramp 4/resistance 1, for 2 minutes each.

Could the resistance be the reason the mileage isn't accurately portrayed, or maybe my stride length? I am surprised it even comes close, with as much as everyone has said it doesn't record ellipticals correctly, but it would be nice if I could tweak the settings to have a slightly more accurate reflection of the work I did put in.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bmp - fitbit and mfp