Going out, how to counteract it?

Options
Hello,
I'm going out this weekend and never really realised how much calories drinks have, also there will be thai food involved -_- How can I counteract this?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Drink slower or don't drink at all. This is part of your training.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Since you know it'll be thai food, I'm assuming you know what restaurant it'll be? Call them up and ask them questions about the menu. I don't know squat about thai food so can't suggest meals directly but ask them about meals that might suit you better.

As for drinks, do a shot or 2 or get a coke or get a girly drink (if thats your thing) and just sip on it all night long.

But in all honesty, if you can afford it calories wise over a week time period, then just go and have fun. Enjoy the meal in a responsible fashion and same for the drinks. Its not the end of the world to be over for one day as long as you don't make a habit out of it
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the Thai food. Just don't get crazy with the noodles or rice... opt for something loaded with stir-fried veggies and lean protein (like shrimp). The drinks are the real problem - they're calorie bombs and they lower your impulse control, which leads to excess eating (among other excessively naughty things!) If you absolutely must drink, I'd recommend 1) getting something you'll sip/savor slowly like a fine red wine or a gin/tonic, and 2) alternate the alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic ones that are low cal, like sparking water w/lemon, tea, diet soda...

Hope that helps!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you do drink and you can drink beer, go for the blonde beers as they have less carbs and cals than other beers, wine and spirits. You'll find it's also more filling than spirits or wine
  • Bleeeeeh
    Bleeeeeh Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks! I'll google some low cal "girly drinks", since sadly not a beer girl (thanks anyway :] ), and just look for the most vege food there, the restaurant is a cheap uni place lol they don't really have a measured recipe or calorie knowledge >_> hopefully there might be some drink induced dancing to help burn those extra calories! Lol
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I usually just bank my calories so I can eat and drink what I want. On tne day you're going out, eat lightly, but also eat a little something before you go, so you will have a little impulse control. And if you do end up overindulging, don't worry about it. You can work it off the next day. Or the next week.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Vodka sodas!!!! Also what I do when I'm going to go out is I try to skip early meals or if you can't do that just be sure to hit the gym or work out hard