Any ex vegans or vegetarians out there?

Options

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for a year, then someone warned me that I might lose the ability to digest meat, dairy and eggs if I didn't have them once in a while. I don't know if this is indeed true, but it scared me a little. I can't be sure what tomorrow may bring, and I want to have confidence that I could survive on any diet necessary.

I now have an occasional ounce of meat or fish and I now eat eggs, but only eggs from my sister-in-law's farm. A bit of dairy sneaks into my diet here and there, but I'm very conflicted about it. Dairy is the only animal product that I buy without knowing for sure that it was produced in a humane way. The dairy cows and their calves have a really horrific life, and it's something I want no part of. But for some reason, that's easy to forget when it's my birthday and I'm at the cheesecake factory. Or when it's a hot day and I'm walking past the frozen yogurt shop. Sometimes I think I have spaghetti for a spine!

If you really don't want to add meat back to your diet, what about hemp or pea protein powder? I don't think that has fiber - I'm not sure. I'm sorry to hear you have so many restrictions - hope you can find a solution that works well for you. :)

This is like my 4th edit - sorry! What about probiotics? I also heard today that people are getting relief from allergies through acupressure. My physical therapist has had treatments that have worked for her. She laughs and calls it voodoo, but swears it has changed her life.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 17 years, and vegan for one year. I just started eating meat again about six months ago and LOVE it. It didn't make any particular difference to my weight loss (I was losing about 5lbs a month before, and that continued), but I think the way I eat is way better and I have more energy for it.

Benefits include going into a restraurant and being able to consider the WHOLE menu when ordering (so much easier to find something healthy). Also its much easier to eat a lot of protein, particular in snacks (I eat a lot of plain chicken or turkey for small snacks through the day).

Definitely have no regrets, and so glad I have switched back to eating meat after so long.

I didn't have a taste for it for a while, but by gradually incorporating it in small amounts to keep my digestive track from protesting, I started to enjoy the taste of it.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 9 years. When I started eating meat again, I stuck with boneless skinless chicken breast and fish. I only ate a bit of it at restaurants or when prepared by friends. It took me quite a while to get to start cooking with it. I actually felt better right away when I reintroduced it into my diet. I don't think I was eating too well as a vegetarian (not that you can't, but I was a stressed out college student short on time). It's been nearly 9 years now since I started eating meat again. I still mostly stick with the lean meats (chicken breast, fish, lean ground turkey, etc) and it works great for me. I didn't notice any change in my weight related to the switch back to meat, but I was 21 at the time. My weight gain seems to be mostly related to age and living with my stick of a boyfriend who can eat anything :). Best of luck to you.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    MisLaxCore, I have no idea how I am still alive. If there was ever a catastrophe I would be the first one to go.

For everyone else. I have Gastroparesis and Celiacs and hormonal imbalances

I CANNOT EAT
    GLUTEN, RICE, SOY, CITRUS. I am allergic to all of these.

I HAVE A SENSITIVITY TO
    BEANS, QUINOA, LENTILS

And when I say I sensitivity I mean I break out into rashes and hives that last days.

I have to avoid dairy because the hormones are too much on my system and cause me to miss periods or give me periods so heavy I faint.

I have been living off of fruits and vegetables and cannot eat enough to stay full. I feel dizzy and exhausted.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I became a vegan because I watched a programme on dolphins - I'm not like a dolphin lover or anything but it was about this town in Japan whose economy was based on the lovely dolphins in their seas but behind the scenes they were barbarically killing them. It made me think how ignorant we can be about where our meat comes from.

But I just couldn't forget meat - I don't mind killing animals its just the cruelty - and I used to sneak meat when no-one was looking! Now I am aware wehere my meat comes from and one day aspire to have my own farm :)
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for almost three years, but have to say I am much more happy now eating meat. I do not eat beef or pork, well I eat pork once a year. I do eat chicken, seafood, and turkey. Once I stopped eating beef I felt much better. However, I just could not do without meat entirely for the rest of my life. Also many people eat too much bad food regardless of whether or not they are a vegan or vegetarian. I knew a girl in college who was a vegetarian, and she ate so much pasta and junk food while I was eating meat and was more healthy than she was. It definitely takes some getting use to, especially the guilt. Till this day if I eat the tiniest bit of beef or pork I feel bad, but as long as you make sure your body is getting what it needs you should be fine.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    MisLaxCore, I have no idea how I am still alive. If there was ever a catastrophe I would be the first one to go.

I CANNOT EAT

I HAVE A SENSITIVITY TO
    BEANS, QUINOA, LENTILS

And when I say I sensitivity I mean I break out into rashes and hives that last days.

I have to avoid dairy because the hormones are too much on my system and cause me to miss periods or give me periods so heavy I faint.

I have been living off of fruits and vegetables and cannot eat enough to stay full. I feel dizzy and exhausted.

Sorry my first post missed the point. I've edited it, but here's my latest ideas again. If you'd like to stay away from meat, you may want to look into:
    1 hemp or pea protein powder
    2 probiotics
    3 acupressure to relieve food allergies

I hope this was more helpful :)
    4 maybe see a naturopath?
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd be eating pea protein. And sprouted barley. And like... pounds of cashews a day. I would be the nuttiest mofo ever. Can you eat millet or amaranth or any of the other nongluten grains, or are they too close to rice?

Spinach is actually pretty proteiny, too. I'd be cooking bags of it so it would be condensed and delicious and gobble it all up.

Have you seen a naturopath to figure out what else you're missing?

I'm a pescetarian ... because I have no respect for the fish or his sea-insect brethren.. I haven't been vegetarian, but I'm considering it, but I know it would be the hardest decision ever to go back to landimals for my health. :( I'm sorry you have to make such a decision and wish you luck with it!
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for the last 4 and a half years, although since starting working out and running I have re introduced fish into my diet. I feel great and much more satisfied when eating :-) I tend to stick to tuna or wild salmon but will have shell fish and oily fish like mackerel etc....
    Good Luck!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ME!

I suffered serious consequences to eating vegetarian. I ate a lot of soy and tofu which messed with my hormones. I had about 85 symptoms at one time and it triggered my thyroid issues. I was working out 5x a week 1 to 1.5 hours a day, eating salads, tofu scrambles and soy milk lattes and I gained like 80 lbs in a short period of time. It was crazy!

People with thyroid conditions must eat lots of protein, and less carbohydrates. I was eating too high of carbohydrates, to little fat (low fat) and too much soy. The low fat also made it worse. Now I eat foods rich in fats like avocado and egg and my body loves me for it. I have great skin/hair/nails and thyroid problem solved. I would never do that to myself again, but some people thrive I guess on their veg diets.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I CANNOT EAT

I HAVE A SENSITIVITY TO
    BEANS, QUINOA, LENTILS

Sorry my first post missed the point. I've edited it, but here's my latest ideas again. If you'd like to stay away from meat, you may want to look into:
    1 hemp or pea protein powder
    2 probiotics
    3 acupressure to relieve food allergies

I hope this was more helpful :)
    4 maybe see a naturopath?

Those are some good suggestions. There is also organic brown rice protein powder. You can have coconut milk. My son is allergic to gluten/wheat/soy/citrus/egg/dairy and I don't eat gluten or dairy either. I would bulk up on nuts and protein powders and use almond/coconut milks. probiotics/digestive enzymes/l-glutamine are a stomach's and stomach issue's best friends.

Personally I could never be vegetarian again because of my thyroid. I tried it one more time via a diet my old naturapathic doc put me on and we tested thyroid before, and three months after, my thyroid was perfect then went HAYWIRE from the soy/vegetarian stuff and not getting enough good fats and/protein and keeping it low carb. That's just how my body works. I still don't love beef, but I do have to eat it from time to time for the iron, as my whole family runs low on it.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I don't eat much fat. I try to but nothing vegan has fat in it except some chia seeds and some avocados. I think today I will start incorporating some meats. Somethings gotta change. I eat clean healthy foods and feel awful and I weigh more now than I did when I ate McDonalds 4 times a week. Go figure.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Former lacto-vegan for 4-5 years (I did this thinking it would make me immune to illness as well as lose fat) converted to omnivore 3 years...I regret nothing because I did what's optimal for my health. I combined what I knew about human physiology with what I learned about nutrition while being vegan to realize that the diet just is not natural or optimal for health.

Well, actually, I regret the time wasted being vegan, but got a valuable lesson out of it, so it was still a mixed experience for me.
  • slobkat
    slobkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegetarian up until last month. I had only been vegetarian since Dec 2010 but I put on some weight as I was eating pastas, bread, cheese, pizza etc all the time. It baffled me at first because I thought vegetarians were meant to be skinnier due to not eating meat but it all makes sense now. It got to a point where I was having eggs literally every day and just repeating the same meals 2/3 days in a row which got really boring as well. I didn't miss meat at all, I craved it a lot of the time but didn't give in. I just decided out of the blue to start eating it again because I felt like it. I only eat chicken, turkey and fish but don't regret going back at all!
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The ethically raised ones have a pretty good life. The cattle get to drink yummy warm milk, then play in the fields with their friends and eat delicious green grass for three years.

Just an fyi companies can label their meat as "free range" or "ethical" but it's still not this fantasy you're imagining.
    According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), "free-range" beef, pork, and other non-poultry products are loosely defined as coming from animals who ate grass and lived on a range. No other criteria-such as the size of the range or the amount of space given to each animal-are required before beef, lamb, and pork can be called "free-range." "Free-range" and "free-roaming" facilities are rarely inspected or verified to be in compliance with these two criteria. The USDA relies "upon producer testimonials to support the accuracy of these claims."(9)

Even when "free-range" cows, sheep, and pigs are allowed to live outdoors, they are still subjected to excruciating mutilations without painkiller or analgesic, such as castration, branding, dehorning, tail-docking, and tooth-grinding. Once they are fattened to market weight, they are trucked to slaughterhouses. They are denied food, water, and adequate protection from extreme temperatures once in the vehicles, and many die during the trip. These cows, sheep, and pigs are still slaughtered in the same violent ways as factory-farmed animals: They are pushed through narrow chutes, hung upside down on conveyor belts, and have their throats slit; some are dismembered while still fully conscious.
    http://www.cok.net/lit/freerange.php
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The ethically raised ones have a pretty good life. The cattle get to drink yummy warm milk, then play in the fields with their friends and eat delicious green grass for three years.

Just an fyi companies can label their meat as "free range" or "ethical" but it's still not this fantasy you're imagining.
    According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), "free-range" beef, pork, and other non-poultry products are loosely defined as coming from animals who ate grass and lived on a range. No other criteria-such as the size of the range or the amount of space given to each animal-are required before beef, lamb, and pork can be called "free-range." "Free-range" and "free-roaming" facilities are rarely inspected or verified to be in compliance with these two criteria. The USDA relies "upon producer testimonials to support the accuracy of these claims."(9)

Even when "free-range" cows, sheep, and pigs are allowed to live outdoors, they are still subjected to excruciating mutilations without painkiller or analgesic, such as castration, branding, dehorning, tail-docking, and tooth-grinding. Once they are fattened to market weight, they are trucked to slaughterhouses. They are denied food, water, and adequate protection from extreme temperatures once in the vehicles, and many die during the trip. These cows, sheep, and pigs are still slaughtered in the same violent ways as factory-farmed animals: They are pushed through narrow chutes, hung upside down on conveyor belts, and have their throats slit; some are dismembered while still fully conscious.
    http://www.cok.net/lit/freerange.php

To solve this problem, buy local meat, eggs, and dairy if possible. I do. I know for sure where my food comes from. I was a vegetarian for many years. When I found out I was pregnant I added meat back in to my diet. Not because, being a pregnant veggie is unhealthy, but because it was easier for me to go back to eating meat. My cravings for meat were insane! I did a 60 day vegan diet earlier this year and I didn't care for it. I couldn't wrap my head around seitan!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've been a lifelong vegetarian. I'm perfectly healthy and have muscle and size etc. I heal quickly and have lots of stamina/energy. Lack of any of these is usually the 1st thing you hear from people who tried being a vegetarian where it didn't suit them. I am not vegan, so I don't know about how they do ( its probably way harder). I've heard alot about how typical people from the West (Americans/Europeans) try to switch over to being vegetarians - I'm afraid they are doing it all wrong. This isn't a put down but just an observation - westerners don't have the deep cultural tradition so they are just flailing in the dark (or worse, becoming a super scientific fiend about it). Like, you do dumb things like try to reconstruct a meat-eaters plate as a vegetarian plate (for example, instead of protein and two vegetables and one carb, they'll keep all the same but substitute tofu or a veggie burger for the meat - that won't work). What you need to do is look at how cultures with strong vegetarian traditions eat (like Indians/some chinese/some thai/some indonesians). None of these cultures is super unhealthy just because of lack of protein, nor do they use rocket science in constructing their meals. Even most Italian/greek etc cultures traditionally use minimal meat.

so, I'm not advocating any one way, but if you do go veggie, then do it correctly - its less stress that way, and healthier. Also, a side note - if you weren't raised a vegetarian, I personally feel you will have a difficult time - and since there is no real strong reason to do it for such a person (IMHO), just don't.

What's my reason? #1 is I was raised this way, and don't feel a huge need to change my tastes. If I look at meat, yes sometimes the fancy techniques and preparations look appetising (like on the Food channel), but its just that, the prep work and presentation, or just the side flavorings....not the meat itself that is attractive at the end of the day. In fact (and meat eaters find this VERY DIFFICULT to accept) when I see meat, mostly I have a baseline revulsion that is no less that if I were looking at someone eating bugs or some other weird meat product. You need to be raised a veggie to have that sort of feeling, and so if you were raised a meatie, then I think you'll have a difficult time of it.
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

To solve this problem, buy local meat, eggs, and dairy if possible. I do. I know for sure where my food comes from.
    [/quote]

You may have a decent idea. You can't know for sure what torture and cruelty happens behind closed doors. Proximity of slaughter to consumer does not necessarily mean less cruel production methods.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 10 years, and healthy the entire time. I only started eating meat because it is more convenient to be able to eat the same meal as my husband. I did eat eggs though, which probably helped with protein. For breakfast, I'd have 2 eggs and an apple. Lunch was whole wheat bread with cheese/lettuce/tomato/pickles and baby carrots. Yogurt for a snack. For dinner, I 'd make soup with beans, potatoes, and various vegetables. That is more or less what I'd eat and I had no health issues. Maybe you need to consider what you are eating throughout the day and whether or not you are getting all your food groups.